Colchester worn cross slide nut

1. fizzy Member

uk
    I actually came across that video didn't realise you were a forum member. Small world!

2. hermetic

hermetic Member

Yorkshire UK
    Yes, been both a lurker and a contributor here for some long time, but the pic of my anglegrinder wire cup brush to the knee injury was too gory for the Show us your workshop injuried thread, and got taken down! Please note that this is my first crack at lathe alignment, so I am tending to have a go, see what results I get, then video it when it all makes some sense to me. Can't see the point of filming loads of cockups then editing them out. This week I have cleaned up the spindle bush and the spindle taper, and got them seating properly and concentricaly, so now I can continue. The headstock is out about 4 to 5 thou, but given that I took it all to bits to paint it, and just bolted the headstock back on, thats not surprising. However, I suspect the main bearings on mine are a bit shot, as they have been "adjusted" and looking at the bozzing on the peg spanner nuts, none to carefully! When I flushed the gearbox with diesel, I noticed a show of what looked like fine grey powder coming out of the hole that returns the oil in the main bearing to the sump.... not good. Luckily I was able to buy excellent used bearings on ebay. When I rotate the test bar with the dti on it, the reading at the outer end is inconsistent, and anticlockwise rotation produces more runout than clockwide, so next job is spindle out and have a dekko! I am quite busy with other projects at the moment, but I am filming a bit of the Colchester work every week, so please check out next weeks video, and find yourself muttering "all the gear and no idea" as you watch it!
    Phil

3. ukracer Forum Supporter

Where did you get your test bar from?

fizzy likes this.
  4. Agroshield Member

Put 'lathe test bar' into Google and pick one.

However, please read this forum thread so you understand what you are buying:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=136771

In it, Schlesinger is mentioned. His work is now available as a pdf in many places, so you can now educate yourself at the feet of Yoda.

ukracer likes this.
  5. hermetic

hermetic Member

Yorkshire UK
    RDG tools, on the basis that it is easier to send it back to RDG if it is crap, rather than send it back to India, which is where they all seem to come from. you can order direct from india cheaper, and wait a bit longer for delivery. The one I got was within the cleaimed 4 tenths run out.
    Phil

fizzy and ukracer like this.
  6. ukracer Forum Supporter

Well as it happened I was sat waiting for 4 ton of slate to be delivered so I could slit the bags while in the air and speard it....sadly amies failed and were over two hours late. It did give me time to read much of that thread and work out that I dont have a clue what I am doing or want to do. :(

Advertisements