Colchester worn cross slide nut

1. fizzy Member

uk
    Good point hadn't thought of that!
    He does say in his ads though that this is the last batch for quite some time.
    I have noticed RDG tools sell ACME taps of the right size.
    Looks fairly easy to make.

ronan likes this.
  2. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Be careful of rdg, they do sell a lot of far eastern tat. When something goes sour, they won't repair or give you your money back.

pressbrake1, brightspark and fizzy like this.
  3. minimutly Member

I tried uploading a video of mine, but file too large. Anyway, it moves in and out if you push and pull it.
    And I measured it on the feed screw, 45thou. The screw (and dial) has very little slop in the spindl/bush. So I'm not worried in the least. Is yours like this @fizzy?

fizzy likes this.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Upload to YouTube and post the link.

daleyd and minimutly like this.
  5. Agroshield Member

You will have great difficulty pushing a single tap through to form an ACME thread. At the least, you will need a set of taps.

What is the size and pitch of the thread? How many graduations on the handwheel? I ask because on some Colchesters (Bantam, Chipmaster), the cross-slide screw is two-start.

pressbrake1 and ronan like this.
  6. hermetic

hermetic Member

Yorkshire UK
    If you can get a new nut, and the thread is worn, if you know someone else with a lathe, you can cut off the thread, then bore remainder of the shaft, and turn down a piece of acme threaded rod to fit into the bore and secure with a couple of roll pins at 90deg to each other. I filed up a bronze nut, and took my old thread to a local engineering company, and they bored and threaded the nut, and fitted a length of new acme thread to the original splined part of the cross slide shaft. This was actually on the DS&G that is in the pic to the left of this post
    Phil

barking mat and fizzy like this.
  7. fizzy Member

uk
    There appears to be very little wear on the thread. Even the nut isn't that bad I am sure but it bothers me.
    There is no wear or slop on the thrust surfaces - silky smooth.

Will post piccies in a second.

5tpi thread - handwheel graduated 0 to 190 to 0

8. fizzy Member

uk
    cross1.jpg cross2.jpg cross3.jpg

9. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Have you measured the backlash with a dti or anything ?

10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

It's difficult to tell from a photograph, but to me that looks to have the classic waisted wear pattern. Worn in the middle, unworn at the ends.

11. fizzy Member

uk
    I used a drill shank in the thread and a micrometer. Hardly any difference anywhere.
    The nut doesn't seem any tighter or looser anywhere either.
    Yes very hard from photos I should have cleaned it better.

hermetic and Seadog like this.
  12. Pete.

Pete. Member

Not much wrong with that screw. It's got some wear but most are much worse. Appears to be single-start. Some colchesters are 2-start.

Is the telescoping section firmly held inside the splined hole?

Gwil, pressbrake1 and fizzy like this.
  13. fizzy Member

uk
    I haven't tried to remove it - should it come out easily? And do I need to free it up?

14. minimutly Member

Fizzy, put it back together and use it, your lathe is old, a little worn, but it will do anything you want of it. A little backlash never harmed any job.

daleyd and fizzy like this.
  15. fizzy Member

uk
    Lol you are probably right!
    I am really astonished just how good the crosslide is - it is silky smooth to move by hand without the nut attached - no play at all anywhere across the full travel.
    I bought the lathe off a retired toolmaker - he obviously knew what he was doing when he chose the machine.
    I have ordered a replacement nut - if it removes that little bit of play I will be happy.
    Lathe is turning a taper though - I suspect the headstock needs alignment - that should be fun. Before I do that though I need to fit the gap back in accurately.

16. minimutly Member

Setting the toolpost shouldn't take more than half an hour if you have some parallel stock lying around.

17. fizzy Member

uk
    No the headstock!

18. fizzy Member

uk
    Sorry missed this - yes sounds the same.
    My chatter and bad finish might be down to the Jacobs rubberflex collets - or me - don't remember a problem with the 4 jaw.
    Don't really want to disturb it as I spent ages getting it to run true.
    I now have a 3 jaw so will try that.

19. minimutly Member

Sorry meant the tailstock.....

fizzy and ronan like this.
  20. hermetic

hermetic Member

Yorkshire UK
    fizzy and mike os like this.
Advertisements