Colchester lathes history

1. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I have one, as do some others on here, noisy headstocks, soft beds. I work now and then in one of the colleges where engineers and apprentices are trained. There is a load of tos lathes there, must be from the 60's or 70's, they are still accurate and tight. A load of colchesters they had there are long gone. They were only half the age of the tos's, but were well worn out.

I used a Japanese copy of a colchester, it was fairly old, but was still good, tight and accurate, quiet head. So the design was sound.

Harrisons are good machines, i worked on one for about five years and loved it, much better machine.

2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Which one do you have? My old Triumph roundhead is like new.
    I read on lathes uk that noisy headstocks are caused by unequal drive belts - remove all but one and see if the noise goes. Is that true?

Of course I really want a DSG or Holbrook.

3. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I had thought the noisy headstock was down to using straight cut gears rather than helical ones.

4. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I have heard the old roundheads were good, but the modernised ones from the 70's were not so good.

5. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page8.html

The drive from motor to headstock was by 3 V belts that should, when replaced, be exactly matched for length; if the geared headstock on any Colchester is unacceptably noisy, especially with rattles rather than whines, the cause may be unequal-length drive belts "fighting" each other, causing the input pulley to be accelerated and slowed in rapid succession. To check, try running on one belt to see if the headstock runs more smoothly; if it does fit a second belt, run a chalk line across the two, start the machine for a few seconds and check that the belts are still in line; they almost certainly will not be. If possible, a matched set of three should be obtained, if this cannot be done, buy a dozen belts and find the three that are the closest in length.

6. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
Advertisements