Classic car paint SOS

1. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

here's how mine started out..certainly not finished but.....

Burdekin likes this.
  2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

F5DA9E11-85CC-4F59-9D36-6FF37A37E5BF.jpeg IMG_0127.jpeg

there u go
    for me much better.......

• 100_2811.jpeg
    • IMG_1191.jpeg
  3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I have a couple of restos, but they had been repaired poorly and painted previously so calling out to be repaired and painted properly. Bodywork is what I enjoy as a hobby. The thread for me was how far do I go bringing back the faded paintwork. The originality of this car is really important to me so my goal is to; finish recommissioning, get her looking and running nice, new rust treatment and then use and look after her.

zx9 likes this.
  4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

yeah just a mild cutting with fillers. I'm seeing the car in the flesh this weekend so I'll know more this weekend.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. gt6s Member

Have you seen how little paint is on modern cars ?.

ronan likes this.
  6. mr haynes Member

If it is sound i would leave as. Wash and wax with your favourite flavour and enjoy. Personally i like patina, it's real, shows life. 50 year olds trying to look much younger hold less appeal to me

Dcal and Burdekin like this.
  7. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

It will come as little surprise I think you are right in leaving it. I tried to polish my truck, but been a daily driver it took too much time up, so these days its gets blathered in WD40 or such.

8. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Patina ... :(:(:(

• 20141010_110259.jpg
    • 20141010_115209.jpg
    • 20141010_115141.jpg
    RWD3M and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Looked at the car yesterday and paint is mainly original but definitely several areas of new paint which has now faded differently. I like the car but not nearly as good as seller led me to believe. Paint is rough; faded, scratched and overspray then there are areas that need welding but generally good but what else is there, needs all new springs, shocks, bushes, dash not working correctly, new tank sender, at least one inner wing has been replaced and both have corrosion along seam near bullhead, front bumper has been bent, front panel is dented, side trim needs replacing, rear indicators etc are very tired, rear bumper corrosion coming through, rims need blasting and coated, new yres, do with a new windscreen and surround, could be rust under windscreen. Then I'd put in a 123 dizzy, electric fan, new heater valve and new rad hoses.

This is just what I saw in one visit and test drive. I was led to believe it was good to go and if so the price was okay but it realistically is £1250 to £2k over priced and would cost a lot to bring back to A1 condition and too much as a little tatty classic to run round in. Can't see him dropping the price so won't be buying it at this stage.

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:( Sounds like one to walk away from.

Burdekin likes this.
  11. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Shame about the car, but there'll be another one. I bought a Argos da polisher for about £40, a couple of decent pads for it, and used Meguiers Ultimate Polish on my 1992 Saab resto project and it brought the black paint back to a really good condition. I clayed it with the G3 mitt first - a few goes with that and the paint was like glass, but the polisher brought the colour and shine back.

Advertisements