Classic car paint SOS

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Hopefully getting another 50 year old Volvo, whilst it is in excellent condition it has been out of service for a long while and the paint has faded. I’m in two minds as what to do; properly clean and just decontaminate the paint and then apply a sealant/wax to bring back some life but keep her honest or clean, decontaminate, polish defects out and seal paint. What’s folks thoughts and experience on old car paintwork?

2. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin

Old celly was poop. Offered little in the way of rust protection.

3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Yeah, minimal rust on this one though.

Keep a bit of patina or try and get her looking as good as possible. In two minds what the best approach is.

4. RWD3M Member

Hi Burdekin,

All this 'patina' thing is, in my opinion, complete BS. Nothing more than dealers avoiding doing anything before selling to ensure maximum profit.

Would you deliberately walk around with holes in the bottoms of your shoes or the ar5e hanging out of youer trousers? I doubt it.

Give it a good polish, take some pictures and show them here!

Just an opinion, I don't expect anyone else to share it! :laughing:

stuvy, frank horton, Parm and 3 others like this.
  5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Yeah get your point. I’m in two minds, I don’t mean to leave it ratty and not look after it, this car will get plenty of tlc. A good clean decontaminate and wax will bring it up a lot but leave the wear and tear. But I also think a bit of a polish to get her gleaming a bit more is nice too. Maybe I just need to see how she looks after a good decontaminate. My problem is I’ve seen the exact car after it has been polished and looks great.

RWD3M likes this.
  6. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

She is also in original condition and I don’t want to mess that up.

Shox Dr likes this.
  7. Dcal Member

Once you painting, it's been painted.
    If it's lasted this long without paint that's remarkable so I wouldn't be in a rush to get the sandpaper out.

Take your time, live with it and think about it you can decide to paint it at any time but once it's done there is no going back to where you are now.

Shox Dr and Burdekin like this.
  8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

No not going to be painting her, original paint is staying.

9. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Worth a bit of care - a lot of people will have cut the paint back in the past so the paint might be thin around the edges. The old celly paints seem to oxidise and don't keep their shine for very long so it seems a constant polishing job to keep them nice which eventually wears the paint away.

If the paint looks like it will take it why not give it another polish and tidy and see how well it lasts. You won't be the first, and a bit of love might kep it going.

Tried that on my van but it was red cellulose (red is a special case) and it went pink again very quickly.

ronan, stuvy and Burdekin like this.
  10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Very sensible. I would worry about going through. A minimal approach and gently gently I think is required.

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    clean it up best you can then see how you feel , might be able to get it looking smart with a few touch ins etc , theyre only original once

Dcal and Burdekin like this.
  12. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    Wow 50 years old makes it 1970 which doesn’t seem that old but I guess it is. Bet it’s got loads of life yet. Someone pointed out to me that 2050 is as far away as 1990 now. That challenged my poor brain at first.

Shox Dr and Burdekin like this.
  13. Domdom Member

2 trains of thought,
    Originality
    Quality appearance

So I like a nice looking original motor and I would do what I could to preserve good, original paint. The main word there is good.

There comes a point where the original paint can’t be made to look acceptable though and then I have no hesitation in repainting, just as long as it’s done properly.

Patina is one thing, but passing off rusty surfaces as patina is rubbish. And the craze for putting clear lacquer over rust to preserve it in that condition is mental as far as I’m concerned.

Each to their own of course. Your car, have it how you want it. Everyone has different taste, mine just happens to be shiny.

ajlelectronics and Burdekin like this.
  14. Quite. My argument is that it is unlikely to have left the factory looking "worn" so it should be repainted etc to look like it just rolled out of the factory. In my opinion, this 'patina' is just short for 'can't be bothered'.

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Burdekin likes this.
  16. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Definitely will clay bar it and maybe autoglyn super resin wax for a gentle start to see how it looks.

Rannsachair, Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

How do you know it's all original anyway? I'm of the opinion that if it needs a respray after all these years, or even just paint repairs it's no different to changing anything else that wears out or otherwise fails.

ajlelectronics likes this.
  18. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It's original and that is a big plus for the car. An original unmolested 50 year old classic in the UK with virtually no rust, that's a rarity and that's not something you repaint just because the paint isn't factory finish any more. There's beauty in a car that has been used, looked after and tells a story.

19. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

Absolutely, if it doesn't need painting then great but I wouldn't get hung up on fixing any bits that need it. It's better to prevent a problem, ie rust, than to fix it.

20. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

It's got more 'fillers' in it than the others.....;)

Burdekin likes this.
Advertisements