clarke lathes

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

I was thinking more the reasons for using a lathe are almost purely mechanical, whether you’re screwcutting or replicating parts.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  2. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

What, a Holbrook? mine cost me a bit under £400, spent more doing the VFD conversion and smartening it up, just don't get me started on tooling it up...

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    184612d1479650943-junk-rescued-20161120_135047.jpg
    My holbrook that was just over £300 came with everything! This picture was just some of it

4. MattF

MattF Member

Always the true money pit in the equation. :D

5. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Even the relieving slide... Nice! Which model?

I got a pretty bare lathe, Dickson QCTP, Pratt-Burnerd 3 and 4-jaw chucks, full set of collets/adaptor/drawtube, but the previous lathe (a Challenger from the 40's, worn out and no change-gears, cost me £70 with a 3HP motor...) came with an assortment of bits and pieces, most of which didn't fit (3 Morse etc.) but fit the Holbrook - I kept those!

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    A nice selection of goodies

7. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

There's a complete looking but partly dismantled Holbrook c10 just popped up on EvilBay, near Gloucester, £450....

Dave H. (the other one)

spencer 427 likes this.
  8. MBB Forum Supporter

Holbrook C10 weighs nearly 2ton. Colchester Chipmaster with the same capacity weighs 1/2 ton.
    the C10 may have plain bearings the Chipmaster has Timken.

9. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

The one on EvilBay very probably has plain bearings, 2000 rpm top speed, the roller bearing ones (newer) go to 3000... the plain bearing ones are more accurate though, Holbrook offered them as an option for diamond turning and the like as an alternative to taper rollers.

WARNING: it NEEDS 3 phase, it has a pretty unique motor that can ONLY run on 415v ( a Dahlander pole-switched plus separate winding 3-speed, integrated with the gearbox). Rotary convertor's the simplest way, VFD is possible but (as I found out) quite a technical challenge, single phase motor would ruin it and leave it with only 4 speeds if it were even possible (which I doubt)... Don't even think about having the motor rewound for 240v, unless you've a chunk more than the price of that lathe to spare... I did, had to sit down for a bit

Dave H. (the other one)

10. MBB Forum Supporter

I would like a C13, worked on one years ago in a toolroom, great lathe.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  11. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Where my grandad worked they reckoned the Colchesters and Harrisons on the shop floor cost as much as the guvnor's car, the Holbrooks in the toolroom cost as much as his house...

My C13's first owner was the ARDE at Fort Halstead, coincidence that's where my grandad worked after WW2! The government could afford 'em...

Dave H. (the other one)

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
Advertisements