clarke lathes

1. 123hotchef Member

2. MattH

MattH Member

No.

3. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

As a mill that would be very compromised, as a lathe probably not a lot better, the bed is very narrow relative to the centre height.
    For that sort of money you can get a real milling machine and lathe!

Hopefuldave and 123hotchef like this.
  4. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

The one i looked at was horrible

5. 123hotchef Member

second hand near me for £600 i wont bother looking

6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

There's plenty of older Lathe's available at a good price on the secondhand market if you look for them

frank horton likes this.
  7. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Funnily enough my wife's friends hubby was asking about my lathes so she sent pics. He said I don't want old ones because I'm not mechanically minded. Made me lol as cheap new lathes usually require a fair bit of work to make them viable from what I've seen and heard.

Made me tally up costs.
    Under £500 for a smart and brown model M Model L and a Large rong fu mill/drill

8. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    If he doesnt know why a quality english lathe that cost more than a house new is better than chinese crap hes best sticking to gardening

9. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

I am going to go against the grain and say if you can pick one up cheap for not a lot of money you can work within its limitations, and get some reasonable results.
    I have one in the workshop at work it takes up little space and is fine for basic work, its not a quality workhorse but it has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion. (saving me a trip home to my workshop)

10. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Any lathe is better than no lathe but at £1200 new I'm amazed they sell! My lathe, mill and piller drill came in at under £500 and I suspect the drill on it's own weights more than the Clarke.....

11. MattH

MattH Member

Strange that he wants a lathe then.

MattF, spencer 427 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Yup. Couldn't fathom that either. Apparently wants one to make bits for his bmx.

Thankfully he lives in Cornwall and I've never met him so don't get asked for favours or tools borrowed.

zx9 likes this.
  13. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Neighbour of mine has one, it’s horrid to use but to give him his due he’s turned out some nice stuff on it. Takes a long time mind

123hotchef likes this.
  14. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Not all far east machines are garbage, but having owned one, these are, and youd spend more time fettling its limitations than actually making stuff

Hopefuldave likes this.
  15. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

‘Not mechanically minded’

Then why are you buying a lathe?? Honestly some people baffle me...

Hopefuldave and Ashley Burton like this.
  16. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    You can pick up some half sensible used lathes but they will always need work. If the guy is not mechanically minded then old is not the way to go as they can be a right tosser to work on at times. He probably better off looking at a warco or something like that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  17. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Here's my Chester mill / lathe, not as bad as the Clarke ones but it's no Harrison either!
    IMAG2798.jpg
    I've made a few decent things on it but could really do with a better seperate mill and lathe.
    These 7075 disc spacers for the now defunct cafe racer ...
    IMAG1392.jpg
    IMAG1124.jpg
    IMAG0908.jpg
    First attempt at milling,
    IMAG2348.jpg
    It's got a huge swing on it but it's is a bit flimsy.
    I've had trouble setting it up but lots of that was because I didn't know what I was doing!
    It came with hundreds of pounds worth of tooling and accessories so I needed very little to get turning, a lot of that gear I'll keep when / if I sell it.

18. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Not wanting to sound harsh but if the operator is not mechanically minded then the choice of lathe will not be the limiting factor.
    Given a tool-room grade Monarch lathe or a Cut price China special the results may be very similar.

Wallace, Rig Pig, Hopefuldave and 2 others like this.
  19. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    will also resell an english one easilys for same /good money if he needs to upgrade

Hopefuldave likes this.
  20. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

just wait awhile a proper lathe will turn up......DO NOT rush......
    keep asking about........join the local model clubs......somebody's grandad's shed will need clearing out.....pay a fair price and everybody's happy........
    this far eastern stuff are a bit like the newer Merc's and Beemer's...look very flash but in no time u can't give em away.......
    the old UK, European brands will alway's get ur money back, sometimes even make u money......
    look on " homeworkshop.org.uk " there are a few crooks on there but look reg and u'll find their name crop up often.....
    some nice stuff and not a fortune either.......
    U JUST GOTTA TAKE UR TIME.....
    remember the lathe is the cheapest part of the deal......it's the tooling that will cripple U........
    good luck.......

Advertisements