Citric dip trick

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Move along please nothing to see here. Lazy man at "work".

So I bought these and many thanks @winchman a few freebies in the box! (I love prezzies).

[​IMG]

They look nice and dry so apart from a bit of staining, I'm not expecting to see much actual rust damage. This is the main event, a die holder which I really need and a tool holder I really don't (but I really like the look of it so, happy).

Be interesting to see if any chemical blacking might survive the citric dip. I suspect the SECO should have a lovely black blue finish. By tomorrow morning, it probably won't!

[​IMG]

Kept a fair few of these sorts of "free" recycling tubs which my council tax seems to buy by the million, then the council change their mind and switch to something else. :dontknow:

[​IMG]

Like I said, nothing to see but I love fishing stuff out of the dip first thing in the morning. It's like Christmas, you never know what you're going to get :D

fizzy, slim_boy_fat, mrsbruce and 3 others like this.
  2. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Right, well get to bed if you want to be up early :D

3. optima21 Forum Supporter

think thats what you call a lucky dip :whistle::whistle:

4. Ali

Ali Member

I’ve got loads of rusty stuff I need to sort out (in fact one of the few things that isn’t rusty is a die holder just like that) and have been meaning to try this for a while. I thought domestic citric acid powder would do the trick, what’s that fancy tub?

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Around here those tubs were a sort of rat catcher. People would leave their rotten stinky food waste right outside my floor vent so the rats knew which way to go. :mad: Recycling food is kinda dumb if you ask me, if you've got so much waste its worth having a system for taking it away, you're wasting too much food!

They don't do that any more (I think) either that or some self important health and safety numptie decided to spend my council tax on new bins with slightly different wording so that at least people could ignore the correct information. Either way there was a glut of brand new unused bins like this at the local recycle centre when I used to drive a van. Needless to say I topped up on spares both with these and the old style recycle caddy boxes. They were replaced with "new improved" (collect once a fortnight) gigantic recycle bins which infest the whole of London like a plague of Daleks.

I literally drove around town collecting as many of those big green boxes as I could find. They are amazingly useful. I am gradually starting to run out now but if you look at any of my shed photos, there's bound to be a green bin in the picture somewhere.

fizzy likes this.
  6. We've seen the before pictures, lets have a look at some after pictures. :clapping:

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    You mean, in here?

[​IMG]

Patience padwan....

8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Tada!

[​IMG]

Straight out of the dip. Flush it, dry it, WD40.

Carbide insert tooling looks nice. It has kept it's chem black but that will wear off no doubt.

[​IMG]

Because it has to come apart to be useful.

[​IMG]

...and it really didn't want to.

[​IMG]

I mean, really didn't want to...

[​IMG]

But nothing can resist.

[​IMG]

There's just one more screw holding the spacer on. I took the unusual step of leaving it to soak in easing oil rather than destroying it out which is my typical go-to. :D

Try again later. It's not essential but I do want it to come off just because.

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Left handed tool anyway. You’d have to run away from the chuck. Or good for finishing the back of shoulders running the conventional way.

mtt.tr likes this.
  10. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well spotted, I hadn't even looked yet. But since I didn't have one before, now I do. Looks like it will fit my standard size qctp too and if I am really lucky, I might even have a box full of inserts.

I'll have one more go at taking that spacer off and if it won't budge, keep it as is.

Brad93 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. lchris21

lchris21 Member

what sort of mix/ratio does it require? been going down a google rabbit hole of different overnight concoctions the last week or so after acquiring a load of surplus tooling.....ive been into milkstone removers, molasses, vinegar, various acids, electrolysis (ive tried in the past).......the list goes on. just want something, simples, cheap & cheerful, overnight chuck it all in a bucket stuff and not have to worry too much about dressing up in my NBC suit :D

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well you're in the right thread. Two paint can lid scoops of citric in that bucket is what I would call a strong mix. You can use more and things will go quicker but equally use a bit less citric and leave it overnight. The acid will become foul before it's all used up anyway so I try to use the minimum amount of citric and use it for as long as it still works. Even then, the acid will still have some potency long after it's just too damned nasty to stick your hand in.

Not only will it become mucky after a few uses, in time it will attract all sorts of bacteria which thrive on it. Bit like a rotten old lemon that starts to go green and stinky and that's just in your fridge. Imagine what cultures you could grow if it's left lying around outside.

13. lchris21

lchris21 Member

ha, cheers. went into the other thread on the forum, looks like 4:1? or so will suffice....

Brad93 likes this.
  14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    4:1 of what? By volume?? :o

I suppose if you wanted to dispose of some bodies or dissolve your workpiece into solution. But then I would recommend Sulphuric acid for that or aqua regia for the other. :dontknow:

fizzy likes this.
  15. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

Where do you dispose of the used acid safely ?

16. mr haynes Member

I'd imagine acid would help clean the drains no?

Revs1972 likes this.
  17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Citric is inherently safe. Unless you attempt to make your own sherbet, then it's just plain nasty.

slim_boy_fat, Revs1972 and jimbo84 like this.
  18. jimbo84 Member

Straight down the drain is where mine goes.

It's pretty harmless, dip your hand in it with no ill effects and they put it in food so no danger to it.

It's good for cleaning the inside of your kettle too.

fizzy and Revs1972 like this.
  19. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Theres a few bodies I'd like to see dissolved in there.....250g/4.5l I think I read somewhere

stuvy likes this.
  20. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

Just dont do it in a metal bath ( i saw it on Breaking Bad ):thumbup:

fizzy and stuvy like this.
Advertisements