Cheap impact guns

1. winchman

winchman Member

I should have bought one!
    Sold some of the crap out of the garage so really its free?

2. premmington

premmington Member

All of mine are IR - 3/8 1/2 3/4 - a few of them are nearing 20years old I would think as well.

I also have "the beast" - a Campbell Hausfeld short reach #5 spline drive. Bought it off a retiring Railway Engine fitter - with a full set of metric spline drive shallow/deep sockets plus some 1" adapter/extensions.

Air tools - being fed with dry/filtered/oiled air do last a long while. :clapping:

metalmelt likes this.
  3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    cant beat my 1/2" ingersol impact and they are cheap second hand

wacky7791 likes this.
  4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

5. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

6. premmington

premmington Member

I just bought a new IR 1/2" air impact wrench's - IR 2235timax - paid about £240 with a boot for mine.

My Russian fitter always buys AIRCAT 1150 1/2" ones at about £120 in the sale - very powerfull gun but they don't last like an IR

8ob and mtt.tr like this.
  7. winchman

winchman Member

8. metalmelt Member

Totally agree, with old lorries the battery ones dont touch them despite the claims, a good 1" CP air unit always fetches them off and without breaking sweat.

premmington and 8ob like this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

10. premmington

premmington Member

I don't often use a big airgun - I only do cars and vans mostly.

Crankshaft bolts - is where I normally end up using a big gun.

What really makes a difference with 3/4 and 1" airguns is feeding them up with a full bore 1/2 ID air hose thru 100series PCL fittings.

Shox Dr likes this.
  11. metalmelt Member

I use 16mm pipe with Schrader fittings as they flow more air than PCL so air isn't an issue, only use PCL on the clean air side for plasmas or sprayguns.

12. premmington

premmington Member

I use 1/4 PCL bayonet fittings and 8mm ID hose for everything.

With the exception of 3/4 an 1" impact guns - where I use 100series PCL and 13mm ID hose.

-----------------------

I have thought about swapping out from 1/4 PCL bayonet fittings to the HF Prevost XF type - but I have so many on everything/everywhere - it will be just such a huge task.

metalmelt likes this.
  13. metalmelt Member

I split my airlines years ago and have a lubricated side with an oil injector fitted, this feeds any tools requiring lubrication and is fitted with Schrader, the other side is the clean air side which has an air dryer and no lubrication using PCL with 8mm hose, this way you cannot connect to the wrong line as some people try and do, one idiot connected his spraygun to the lubricated line and ended up with paint full of oil mist, laugh, I nearly pi**ed myself as both sides are colour coded and he removed a PCL and fitted a Schrader.

premmington likes this.
  14. premmington

premmington Member

I don't do any spraying - if I did I would need some new hoses - all mine are dripping in oil.

To be honest I don't have a dry outlet without oil with a quick fit fiting on it.

The only non oiled air we use if for tyre inflators and these are hard piped into the hoses (I done this years ago as the lads kept using non oiled air hoses with my air tools).

15. eddie49 Member

Matchless likes this.
  16. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

@winchman I have both the Milwaukee M18 and M12 torque guns. The M18 is a beast of a tool and hasn’t been beaten yet, regardless of how big and tight the bolt is. The M12 is used most often though and easily does car wheel nuts. Due to its compact size it really is versatile and with 4 settings it can be used for most things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353197310308

17. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

BTW I normally use a 6ah battery on the M12 but it will work fine on 2amp batteries too but use them up quicker

18. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Do you have the 3/8 version?

19. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

For workshop use I am still using air nut guns and haven't yet seen any reason to change.I recently bought a cheap cordless to throw in the truck
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-1-2-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    This one wouldn't undo the wheel nuts on my van, in fairness they were kin tight so I backed them off with a breaker bar and re tightened them, it could then undo them. I used Eds 18v Milwaukee a few weeks ago which is a bit of a beast but found it a bit big and heavy for what it does.

Bob

premmington likes this.
  20. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

no the 1/2 inch. Didn’t see the point in two sets of impact sockets and anything under a 8mm head probably won’t last long under even low settings. I know the 3/8 sockets are a little shorter but not much.

Advertisements