Cebora 883, old timer info needed !

1. Joeyg New Member

Hey guys, hope all is well an everyone who reads this had a good Christmas. So today could not if gone any worse, as well as knocking over a tin of paint into my tool chest i discovered an issue with a newly purchased used welder. Purchased the cebora 883 pocket mig to do some welding on my land rover, had a go with it before purchasing and seemed lovely. I was going to have a quick buzz today so i cracked on the new disposable gas bottle opened the gas then all of a sudden i heard a POP and the torch casing had slightly seperated and gas was leaking. I took the torch apart to inspect and the spring loaded mechanism which which pushes a brass valve with two rubber seals kept popping out the gun. I think the retaining screw had potentially snapped ?

Anywho is it easier for me to buy a new torch than try source this part, and are torches somewhat easily interchangeable ? Any information would be much appreciated. Ive only been using arc til now so my mig knowledge is nil ! Will be gutted if its buggered. Thanks

• 751D1F7B-5679-4184-9C57-CAC44B24EB74.jpeg
  2. eddie49 Member

Hello, and welcome to the Forum !
    Other members may know this specific machine and could advise you about repair of the valve or replacement of the original torch. In general both disposable gas canisters and in-torch valves are not recommended - especially if you have a whole Land Rover to repair. Better alternatives include conversion to a Eurotorch, fitting a gas solenoid, and upgrade to a rent-free or deposit hobby or trade real gas cylinder, or pub-CO2.

3. Joeyg New Member

Hi eddie, thanks so much for the warm welcome and swift response. Yeah i have seen a lot of people mentioning eurotorch conversions online. So you're telling me my machine is savable ? Everything else works fine on it. Apologies again on my lack of knowledge I'm starting school soon for mig.

4. Pete.

Pete. Member

I've got one of those in my workshop which I bought for my grandson. The block is a simple device it should be easily fixable. Replacement torch heads are not that much but there are 1-wire and 2-wire versions. Yours is a 1-wire.

5. eddie49 Member

6. Pete.

Pete. Member

7. Joeyg New Member

Thank you so much for the response guys, phew thats a relief. Yes ive seen the replacement gas nozzle valves. Although they say they are for a 130 pocket mig im sure it should fit. It looks identical, there are even some cheaper ones. And thanks for the link i will have a read

8. Joeyg New Member

9. eddie49 Member

If the gas pressure is too high it will push the in-torch gas valve apart. Do you have a regulator on your new disposable canister? Maybe that is all that is wrong ? Anyway, no worries, the pressure will soon drop because it will be empty in a few minutes !

No, seriously, you do need to solve the whole gas supply issue, disposables are next to useless. That will mean deciding on some form of real cylinder, plus a regulator. Plenty of advice in threads about gas on this Forum. Otherwise, you may want to consider gasless flux-core wire ... not ideal, some like it.

I think the replacement torch you linked to will do the job, but they can be had for about half that cost:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB14AK-E...ete-Welding-Gun-Parts-2-5M-3M-4M/143343373527

[ Even if your machine originally has only one wire, I think that a torch with two trigger wires is better. The switch will be a real microswitch, rather than just a brass strip. It is also more versatile, if you want to swap torch polarity to use gasless wire, or make other wire feed upgrades.]

However, there are perhaps other options to look into before spending any money on a welder that is still a bit of an unknown quantity to you.
    For example, repair of the gas valve - some hints here:
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/cebora-dilema.50449/
    or go gasless - no need for the valve, or bite the bullet and swap to a Eurotorch.

10. Joeyg New Member

Hi Eddie thanks for the reply, yeah once I've installed the new torch and got it working perfectly i am going to invest in a decent cylinder asap. Im starting to think the regulator dial may be faulty on the disposable cylinder. Any good brands sizes you can recommend thanks bud

Advertisements