CE Marking / BS EN 1090

1. Dimitri De Spiegeleer Member

The new version of the EN1090-2 is still a draft (albeit almost on the end of the project), so be aware that whatever I say can still change.
    But for the time being, no, there won't be a lot that changes for EXC1.
    Still no WPQR's required for EXC1, and no formal responsible welding coordinator, meaning no courses required. There must be someone however who leads the FPC system, but basically that can be everyone.
    And these are typically the most intrusive (read: costly) changes when implementing an FPC system.

matt1978 likes this.
  2. Kent

Kent Member

So ok I work alone.

You see I use the " dog kennel " as a bit of light heartedness and even that's a muddled up nightmare of confusion

matt1978 likes this.
  3. Kent

Kent Member

That's a very good example because of what was found not long back in burgers etc.

Food poisoning is very very much more common today. It's because of big business and too many operations in the food chain

It's always been my opinion that if you give too many people responsibility they will blame each other

bletchmonster likes this.
  4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I think if you look up the statistics you will find that isnt true. I honestly cannot imagine why anyone would believe that. You only have to look at 3rd World countries where there are few if any rules and their rates are much higher. But we are moving off topic.

5. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Whatever political views people have about 1090, we've lived with it for a couple of years now with no problems - the big boys in the construction world have finally sat up and taken heed that they can't go to any 'back street' outfit for structural steel any more and are paying bigger figures for primary and secondary steelwork.

It's certainly been a step up the ladder for us and to be honest we're doing very little in addition to comply with 1090 that we should be doing in any event.
    I know of a couple of places knocking out structural steel without a proper designer/structural engineer, qualified welders, no weld procedures, material traceability etc etc. Their customer base is gradually reducing as they move over to 1090 accredited companies.

I know some of our bigger clients wiped off all the non 1090 metalworkers from their supply chain if they didn't get accredited, seeing it as a minimum requirement standard to work for them.

It's nothing any of us will change and it won't go away.

6. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

Also I think it should be noted that it doesn't matter weather we vote to stay in or leave the EU, BS EN 1090 will stay as its now been adopted as a British standard. There companies out there who are just doing ISO 3834 (the welding part of 1090) which I think will eventually be adopted as standard for any company that undertakes welding that isn't structural. I don't think there is anything wrong with regulation, at the end of the day know one likes a cowboy and there are people out there that are just shocking welders!! There are so many 'welders' out there that just don't have a clue and this will hopefully make people a bit more knowledgeable.

7. Dimitri De Spiegeleer Member

Wondering if the above will hold true in the future.

8. Kent

Kent Member

No if it's not passed by British legislation as a requirement - totally unenforceable

Mww
    I am all for loosing the cowboy and such but introduction of any standard by legislation across all sectors? It only leads to a lower std of cowboy that works only for cash. Has no insurance and frankly don't give one
    Well proven now in bathroom and kitchen electrics and glazing etc

It's seriously difficult for sole traders and small companies to implement this stuff - procedurally

bletchmonster likes this.
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

If they have been adopted as a BS EN they are legally enforceable. Its not a law but a standard that should be maintained and in the case of a civil law suit they are enforceable

Oops just seen the earlier post by Mid Wales

10. Ironfighter Member

London
    How does this CE Marking EN1090 affect employees in regard to changing jobs.
    The company i presently work for did the accreditation about 3 years ago.
    New welders have come to work here who have not done the training and are welding structual steel.
    If i leave and go work somewhere else do i have to do weld tests at the new company.
    Someone seems to think that we welders who did the training are now coded and we should be able to obtain paperwork to show this.
    Problem is the company we work for wouldnt hand over any certificate if we ask.i did a forklift driver course and they keep any paperwork so it cant benefit us if we leave.
    cheers

Brad93 likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Sounds like the firm i used to work for. Generally if changing firms the coding should not go with the employee as it should have been to the companies individual weld procedure and overall WPS. The new firm should put you through the coding under THEIR procedure. Codings you have obtained to a general standard, i.e. non-procedure 6mm fillet or 12mm multipass fillet, or multipass butt, cannot then be used against new companies CE marked work, as you've not done it to their WPS.

Basically you should re-sit the codings whenever you move firms. They are being cheapskates.

12. Kent

Kent Member

It's been that way for years. To be fair many of the ones I left were useless after six months anyhow
    This is a procedure thing though as regards 1090. To be ridiculous if the procedure was all welds to be undercut by 1/8" then that is what you would have to prove yourself capable of? Being ridiculous just to confirm the situation

13. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    This is standard procedure. The code belongs to the firm... You go to a new place, you take a test to their procedures

A way to hold your own codes to a decent standard is start your own Ltd Company (you as director obviously), then draw up the WPS, you code to the WPS (at your expense obviously)... The company (your company) owns the codes

14. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Contact the company you did the FLT course with and ask for a copy of your pass certificate.

...and welcome to the forum.

Kent likes this.
  15. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

You don't need to start a company, just do procedures in your own name. Will cost a bit though! And it's kind of pointless unless your self employed. It's really not difficult to 'code' new welders when they join a company and if you know what your doing doesn't cost a penny.

Kent and Dimitri De Spiegeleer like this.
  16. Kent

Kent Member

Let me say from experience it's not a good idea to throw your visor at the boss and storm off if you want proof of codings etc.
    Oh. The enlightenment of age and Experiance

Brad93 likes this.
  17. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

One of my lads snapped these photos of the quality of some fabricated steel (A portal frame) ready to be erected on a site. If ever there was a good advert for bringing in CE marking, this is it.:o:o:dontknow:
    18492379_1549522578413727_539599946_n.jpg 18518887_1549522575080394_662519706_n.jpg 18492603_1549522598413725_2123906368_n.jpg

18. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

19. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    What the..... That's frickin unsafe - chop it all up :)

20. steve t Member

Ireland
    Bloody hell, what a mess

Advertisements