Castolin Castotig 2002 ACDC torch harness pinout

1. Macfun New Member

Hi guys !!!

So ...
    I need help of buddy having the original torch with the 7 pins connector.
    And kind enough to carefully fill the pinout table below.

If you have the Fronius MW2000 with similar torch, you're welcome.

Picture of such torch, and reference (I heard G220 but there are several versions) if still available, is a plus.

Because I don't have any torch for the moment (I got the machine "as is" without accessories) and the unexpected difficult-to-find all-in-one MIG-like connector doesn't help, I hope to switch to a standard TIG torch with 35/50-like connector, remote gas quick-connect and a 2-wire switch.
    As far as I read, the original torch 2-buttons are used to enter the sub-menus and alter the factory settings.
    I would install 2 switches on the panel itself for that.

Everybody follows what my brain tries to do ?
    :o

Here are the back of the 7-pins connector, and the table to fill (warning, handmade drawing shows the connector from outside the welding machine).
    Oh, if you're kind enough to make a picture of inside the original torch MIG-like connector, it's a bonus !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Macfun New Member

More explanations ...

Actual situation with original MIG-like connector :
    [​IMG]

What I would do if, one day, the machine works again, with a standard torch :
    [​IMG]

3. Doug Boyd New Member

IMG_20200206_135136_1.jpg IMG_20200206_135117_5.jpg IMG_20200206_135146_4.jpg CastoTig Switch.jpg

Metered out the pin/switch wiring.

I'm thinking of doing the same mod
    I have a foot pedal so can do without the right switch. Replacing the left up/down with front panel buttons is a good idea for programming - or use a momentary centre off toggle switch similar to the mode selector.

Let me know if you need pics of anything else

4. Macfun New Member

Thanks a lot, Doug !!

Strange that there is no wire on position 3 coming from the torch ... as there are 6 wires going from the panel connector to the PCB in the machine.
    Yes, momentary toggle switches would be the best !

3 more questions, please :
    - when welding, only one torch switch (L/R ?) is used, or both at same time ?
    - Would you take a picture of the gas connector of the torch ?
    - to be 100% sure, it is"C220" on the original torch, correct ?

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s a fronius machine rebranded for Castolin.

@HughF may be able to help you.

6. Macfun New Member

Thanks Brad.

Indeed, I learn more and more about it.
    For example, Some Mosfets have FRO169 or FRO178 on them.
    FRO is for ... Fronius, I guess a "proprietary" order to ST Micro Electronics (there is the "ST" logo on them).
    One FRO169 is broken (behind the BSP020 board) and I can't find the specs. The other Mosfets near it are APT5010JVR which are more common.

I wouldn't scrap this machine ... yet !

7. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I'll update this thread when I am back near my workshop with some pics of the dinse conversion on my machine and what I have in my notes about the pinouts.

Macfun, Doug Boyd and Brad93 like this.
  8. Macfun New Member

HughF, you're great !!

In the schematics I found inside the machine (like some of us), there are several pinouts possible (3, 5 and 7 pins).
    Mine is the 7 pins, but gathering here others versions is a plus for all users !!

BTW, do Castolin 2002 or Fronius MW2000 owners remember what were the 7 Mosfet (if correct component name) references behind the BPS020A board ?
    FRO169 should be the original ref, I would know the working replacement component reference if someone had to replace some ...
    Hmmm, nothing to do with pinout, in fact I should post THIS question in this thread :
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/castolin-castotig-2002-mw2000.83288/page-2
    :doh:

9. Macfun New Member

Hello !

Any idea of expected timing ?
    If you've notes about primary board components on the back (ref, specs, location, equivalence, and so on), I'll be glad to hear about and probably consider rebuilding/testing or scrapping the 2002.

In the meantime, I found this thread about similar idea/mod, while digging into the forum :
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...attempt-at-de-eurotorching-help-please.53779/

Nevertheless, your expertise is hardly welcome !!!

10. HughF

HughF Member

Sorry, this week has kind of run away with me. I’ll try and get the info you need on Sunday when I should be back at my workshop.

Macfun likes this.
  11. HughF

HughF Member

I took my power board out last night...

There are 7x sot-227 devices underneath the BPS020A board, three in the power factor tracking input stage and 4 in the primary inverter stage. If one of your FRO169's has been replaced with an APT5010JVR and it works, then you should be able to use that device wherever a FRO169 is specified. The primary input rectifiers are standard off-the-shelf devices, and the secondary rectifiers underneath the right hand cover, connected to the transformer outputs are standard sot-227 dual diodes. Nothing fancy there, you could use anything around 120a, 150v and they will probably work.

Something like so would work:
    https://docs.rs-online.com/c1ad/0900766b8144fea3.pdf

As for the output IGBT modules, I didn't take them out for identification but they look like the could be toshiba or mitsubishi devices.

12. Macfun New Member

Hello HugF.

Thanks for the works !
    Did you take pictures ?

Are all 7 components FRO169 ?

Is the PBS020A board used for MMA as well ?

In the meantime I had access to another non-working 2002 and only one component was FRO169 (top-left on the heatsink), other 6 components were IXYS IXFN48N50.
    There was a kind of varnish on the screws but I can't confirm it has never been repaired ...
    The machine was in poor condition.
    But had the cooling unit underneath not used for years, unknown condition, torches without cooling connectors ...
    Owner expected far too much for his non-working machine, and I didn't want to gamble ...
    Poor me.
    :(

13. HughF

HughF Member

I did not take pictures, I can do so again when I have a bit more time - it was late and I needed to get it back together for some works this weekend.

The PBS020A board is the heart of the machine, it is used in Tig and MMA mode. Without it, you get no output.

The IXFN48N50 is another standard N channel FET - they are reliable.

14. Macfun New Member

Advertisements