Career crossroads : ndt tech or hgv driver

1. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Hello folks im in a bit of a mess regarding career choice and was wondering if ye guys could help as i know these are two jobs members on here would have knowledge of ,

Im 29 years old and just found out will be a daddy (scary) , i got my ridgid hgv licence 2 years ago and quikly found employment in a cooking oil distributor , its decent pay €500 after tax for 45 hours but hard work lots of heavy lifting , must say i like it though , im home early every day and every other friday i have off

However i have been offered a start in a ndt company through a friend , this type of work always interested me , i would be starting as an assistant for less money than im on now but will have the oppertunity to progress and get qualified in different types of ndt testing ,

At 29 its probably the last time ill be offered something like this and im trying to decide what will be better for my future

So any ideas gladly welcome

2. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

Can you afford to take the drop in wages especially with a baby on the way

3. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

That's better than money as long as what you earn meets your need's.

Kids years vanish faster than you will ever imagine, scarily fast and it's only when you realise you missed them that you also realise you can't get them back.

mr_splatter, skotl, MattH and 4 others like this.
  4. moose Member

I think Bigjoe has made a very valid point, not actually knowing what ndt is, all I can say is if the loss of money, is bearable also considering baby on the way, look at the future prospects and make the discussion, what does the other half say, will they be willing to possibly struggle!

Cumbriasteve again has made a point but I would add what about the job satisfaction. But having that extra time could be a bonus when child is attending school etc (collecting)

5. gaz_moose Member

do which ever one wont have you busting your balls when your older.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  6. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

Ive not long got into hgv work...70 hours is a short week for me...and its all hard work too.

Im on light duties because of a bust foot and 9-5 feels like a holiday compared to the 15 hour days im pulling on the road

7. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

One approach is to draw up a list of the advantages and disadvantages of each to help come to a decision.

Worth considering career prospects and future pay if you want to progress as well as the current pay.

Working hours/working away from home for time with the family.

Is the company healthy - likely to be still there in the future?

Holidays/ sick pay etc.

would the training make you more employable in the future?

In the end its how important all these factors are to you.

brightspark likes this.
  8. V6BOY Member

Do you like driving? Most HGV 2 jobs are hard work multidrop handball ect,any thoughts of taking Class 1?

9. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

Lugging is ok when your 30 but the body suffers as it get older. If you can afford to take the pay drop now then I'd say go for the qualifications because in a few years time with 2/3 kids depending on you it will be much harder or impossible to financially do it. You will always have the driving jobs to fall back on.

magnet likes this.
  10. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Yes the pay drop would be ok its not too much less ,plus i would make it up with overtime

11. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I haven't any experience in either profession but do know a chap well who did the haulage/delivery type job your in now. Young and fit he loved it but then jarred his back playing rugby and no matter how much physio (he had to pay for) he couldn't carry on and is now struggling to find anything else with few qualifications. Given the little one on the way it is a tough decision: money now (much needed in your case) or longer term skill/qualification for the long game.

ukracer likes this.
  12. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Yeah thats my dilema , i want to make as much as possible to provide them with all they need, but what good is that when i have no free time to spend it with them

13. arther dailey Member

either way, congratulations to you and yours becoming parents, :thumbup:

14. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Ndt is non destructive testing , basically this company inspects the integrity of welds through various methods depending on the situation without damaging the piece to be inspected . Most of the work is work is done in large pharmaceutical companies to comply with h and s , job satisfaction at the moment is ok i like vehicles of all sorts so being able to drive a large truck every day is nice but the novelty has worn off and the job is fairly repetitive

15. Nick67GT

Nick67GT Member

Given that these are two very different types of work, if I were in your position, I would go for the NDT (Non Destructive Testing) option.

The reason being that once qualified in different aspects of this type of inspection, you would have a commutable skill across quite a few industries:

Aerospace - Car industry - Pipelines - Power plants - Pressure vessels - Trains - Shipbuilding etc etc.

Barlidge likes this.
  16. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    That would be the road not travelled , its one of my main concerns

17. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Im lucky in that regard , im usually home before 5 , but my hat goes off to you , iv done a few days of the long haul stuff and its very tiring

18. arther dailey Member

is it worth having a word with your current boss and ask considering your current situation,would it be possible if you changed to the new job would he consider giving you some saturday driving here and there, for two reasons to help finances and as you like the job help him out(keep your foot in the door) just a thought.depending that is the other job is in the bag.

Barlidge likes this.
  19. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Yeah no doubt these qualifications would stand to me , i suppose one way of looking at it is i can always go back driving , but ill never get a chance at this again

Rannsachair likes this.
  20. cobcorsa Member

Cork , Ireland
    Being honest im not the biggest fan of the driving aspect of the job , iv considered getting my class 1 but to be honest i enjoy the social aspect of multi drop and usually dont like being in the truck for more than a few hours straight

Advertisements