Bucket corner repair question

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I'm also liking the 'vintage' pic in the background re materials handling - I'm sure @Parm will be impressed.....:whistle: :D

2. Robert.

Robert. Member

Haha , I picked that up in an old power station . Had to have it for the workshop :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I am not an expert welder and I don't know much about bucket repairs but I have been on this and many other forums long enough to know what you want. You want someone to say yes just Mig it up and it will be fine. I think you've got that and my spidey senses tell me that's what you really wanted to hear. :D

John_d1974, Munkul and Justme like this.
  4. metalmelt Member

If you know a local farmer you can actually use the old cutter blades from a combine harvester and trim the cutting edge off, these are very hard and wear out regularly and are changed, they come as a top and bottom cutter and larger cutter heads come with them in two or three pieces, top and bottom.

James1979 likes this.
  5. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

The cutters on a combine are only about 3-4mm thick and wouldnt last long on a bucket.

wyn, nickk and daleyd like this.
  6. metalmelt Member

Some are and some aren't, the latest MF are 10mm thick.

7. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

On the new ideal? The previous mfs used the same knife as a claas and they were normal thickness.

8. johnser

johnser Member

If you're going to mig it with MS, why not just slap some lengths of appropriate thickness flat on there. Will save a lot of time and electric.

metalmelt likes this.
  9. metalmelt Member

Phoned a mate who sells and repairs agri equipment and he said some of the Fendt are also around 8mm now and they come in complete sets so if someone trashes one blade the lot have to be removed.

10. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

You've got me interested now, I've not had anything to do with the new fendt or MF machines but going to an 8mm blade seems like a lot of extra weight and stress on the drive as that will be some mass changing direction, also of I had to change all 100+ sections when only one was damaged seems crazy.

daleyd and wyn like this.
  11. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

Thinking about this again it isn't forage harvester blades your thinking of is it, they're a good bit thicker.

12. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

Surely so... combine knives have never been thick because they never have to be - thin, sharp and keep reciprocating mass low like you say!
    Or drum rasps or something like that maybe.

daleyd and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

My 35ft knife is bad enough to work with as it is, wouldnt fancy it with 8mm sections on it

daleyd and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. metalmelt Member

Quite possibly as he didn't say.

15. Bill Edwards Member

All the combine blades I've known are around 3mm thick, even the knife section they bolt onto probably isn't much more than 10mm. I suspect metalmelt is thinking of something different, such as forager blades?

daleyd likes this.
Advertisements