Bucket corner repair question

1. mongobird New Member

My loader bucket is showing wear in the cutting edge near the edges. Since it is a little wear over 20 years, I am wondering if building it up with MIG wire would be acceptable, rather than using hardfacing. One of the issues is that finding hardface in 10# spools is rather expensive, and another issue is selection of the correct material. So I was just wondering if I could butter on some MIG wire to build things up?

2. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

Would be a better idea/cheaper to borrow a Arc welder and get some hard facing rods.

metalmelt likes this.
  3. anto44

anto44 Member

The agricultural suppliers near me sell hardfacing rods individually. It is a good bit dearer than buying a box of them, but if you only need a few rods for a one off job it saves having an expensive box of rods sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

metalmelt and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. James1979 Member

Can you get some hardox plate and weld that in? Put a strip along the front of the bucket.

5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Build it back up with the mig and hard face with a few rods.

Bob

6. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Mig weld in itself is pretty hard. I've made the mistake of trying to drill through Mig repaired steel before now.

And like you say, its taken 20 years to wear thus far.

Matchless likes this.
  7. tom2207 Member

if its done 20 years , why not treat it to a new edge , you can mig in a slice of hardox and not look at it for the next 20 years .

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

horses for courses, depends what age you are really and if you expect to still be working it in twenty years or you just want to do the job properly ..or is it a that el do :dontknow:

jerrytug likes this.
  9. tom2207 Member

Some one will still be working in twenty years ,,,, even if its just to pay off the Covid bill.

10. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

tom2207 likes this.
  11. mongobird New Member

I am not experienced at stick, and I would still have to buy 5# which is rather expensive. I cannot get single sticks of hardface from the ag dealers.

It may have taken 20 years to get to the current point, but the material was a hard edge. Hardox plate I cannot find at the local metal yards. I can buy a new hardedge from Ford/New Holland, but again, we are talking the corners of the bucket, not the entire front edge.

12. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

Is it the bottom wear plate of the bucket needing replaced? You can buy them from a lot of different places a lot cheaper than a new holland dealer will charge. We got a few last month but can't remember the price off hand

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Bill Edwards Member

Strange that you can't get small quantities of rods to finish it off.
    If it is just a small bit in the corners I suppose you could build it up with weld but without hard facing it's not going to last very well. But it might last a good while for your use, and might be worth a try? If it starts to wear quickly you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a pack of hard facing rods/wire to run over it.

New edges are normally the way forward, but don't pay dealer prices! But I do understand that for limited use an hour with a welder may be sufficient.

14. Justme

Justme Member

Squirt some mig at it.

If it wears too soon squirt some more.

When you get fed up of squirting fix it properly.

The cost wont bother you then.

15. Bill Edwards Member

I have come across jobs where what seems like a bodge to build it up lasts many years and is appropriate for the use the machine gets.

There's a big difference between fixing a machine to work 40+ hours a week every week and a machine that does 40 hours a year. It's natural to always want to repair things to as or better than new condition, but it's not always best value for money.
    If it's going to cost £100 to fix it for 10 years, or £300 to fix it for 50 years but the machine will only run for 10 years before it's scrap or upgraded/owner retires etc which was the best choice for the person paying the bill?

16. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

17. sako243

sako243 Member

Just don't use one of the guys localish to me :laughing:.

Trailer manufacturer took on a new guy, ex mechanic from Poland. Arrived on a busy day and a mate of the owner showed up asking if someone could quickly nip around to weld a patch on the side of a bucket he needed urgently. New guy was sent to weld on said patch down the road to give them time to set things up for him properly.

Anyway at the end of the day he still wasn't back so the owner asked "has anyone seen the new guy?". Replies were didn't think he'd come back from the farm. As they were shutting up he walks in and they ask what happened? Response was "bucket ****, built new bucket". Moral of the story never send Luca on a farm repair job!

18. Robert.

Robert. New Member

DSC_0075.JPG DSC_0078.JPG Buy some hardox , cut it to suit and weld it on , it will work out cheaper than pouring hard face rod or wire into it .

I repair buckets alot ...

McGeee, James1979, Popcorn and 2 others like this.
  19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Robert. :waving: Some serious 'bucketage' going on there. :thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  20. Robert.

Robert. New Member

Cheers mate , happy to be here ...that's one of the "medium sized " ones , we go a good bit bigger than that . The lad ontop there Wiggles is only a small fella he makes it look bigger :laughing::laughing:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements