Bohler uranos 2000 VS. Gys multi pearl 200 4XL

1. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Hey,
    Wondered if anyone could give me some Input as to which to go for as I'm struggling to make a decision. Sorry for the mammoth post, wanted to give you as much info about my thoughts as I could so hopefully you can help me out.

I have tried to thoroughly search the forums and apologise if I have missed a similar thread. However I think the Bohler is relatively new to the UK market which might explain there only being a single thread on it.

I recently started my journey in to the land of welding and I'm looking to get set up with a unit that will allow me to weld mild steel car panels and fabricate brackets etc for an engine conversion (nothing structural like a subframe or anything stupid like that). It will also be used for some general maintenance around the house. The fence is in need of some TLC and I am always building something.

I would like the ability to stick aluminium together. It does not have to be neat, it is not structural and will mainly be used to make some custom fluid reservoirs for non-essential fluids etc.

My understanding is that I would really want an AC Tig unit for aluminium? From my reading aluminium needs to be 'cleaned' during the weld as the oxidation melts at a far higher temp to the actual aluminium? Please correct me if I am wrong. But i hope i can get away with using some thicker Aluminium and MIG welding it?

I would also like the ability to TIG weld stainless to do some custom exhaust work. This is obviously well outside my skill range at the moment having never even TIG welded, but I'll get there.

In short I believe I am after a multi process machine. I like to buy once and buy right. I have done the few years of trying to get away with cheap tools and I am well and truly over that.
    Having done some research I looked at the GYS multipearl 200.4xl and then a chap called Tom at a certain online welding shop (not sure if I am allowed to post links) suggested a very appealing machine, the Bohler uranos 2000. I think Tom might actually be on here.

My questions:
    - Is the bohler worth the extra £250. It does add a pulse option to the TiG side of things. Anyone able to share how much of a difference this makes?

- the bohler claims to be best in class for aluminimum Mig welding. Is this supported in any way by some evidence or anybodys experience?

- wire feed rollers. Is more always better? My understanding would be if you were working further away from the unit with a longer torch you may need a 4 roller system, but am I likely to notice the difference between the 4 roller gys and 2 roller bohler in a DIY/serious hobby situation? A 3m torch is fine for me, no need to be up a ladder welding 5m off the floor.

- user interface. I managed to find 1 video demonstrating the interface on the GYS and it didnt look too appealing. I am sure once you get familar it would be easy. I found a video of the Bohler and its user interface looks lovely. The GYS seems to expect you to know where the setting you are looking for is. It removes everything else from the screen and instead of a list of options it will cycle through them.. does anyone have any experience on how simple the GYS is to use?

-gys comes with a 2 year warranty, bohler with a 3 year. Is it worth worrying about the difference? I would hope any major flaws with a new machine would have surfaced by 2 years and that hopefully they should be solid reliable units at their price point.

-not too worried about portability. I want to be able to move it around my workshop and out to my garage which is 3m away from my workshop. I dont think there is much difference between the 2 for me even though the GYS is a substantially larger unit. I will only be using 5kg reels. So anything under 30 to 35kg is fine.

I would appreciate any thoughts people in the know have about the above.
    Thanks!

2. DTS Forum Supporter

If you’re quick there’s some outfit dumping the Thermal Arc 252i (new) on EBay for 999.95 inc vat. With eBay fees and vat they’re making a loss on those. superb machine, part of esab.
    Gys multipearl nice, good support in their U.K. head office in Rugby. Bohler are Selcos, seem to be pushing them everywhere so negotiate hard (if you can live with the name Uranus). You’ll be a while before you’re welding exhausts, believe..

Arclikeharrypotter and Jbo2231 like this.
  3. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    I have a GYS 2000-2 got an extra spare torch specifically for aluminium plus a couple of liners ( aluminium only ) for it . I have the argon and alu wire plus the special feed rollers. As yet I've only used it for steel as MMA, co2 and tig ..I can't fault it .
    The first time i tried to use it did find the push connector for the gas at the back was a bit weird it didn't always open to let gas through . Had a play with it & sprayed some WD 40 on the fitting and it suddenly worked .

The only other problem I had when I got it four years ago was me not turning the argon bottle off when I'd finished tigging ..it emptied overnight :whistle:" *&%^$£"& " :D. Don't know where from either . gas bottle valve stem , the regulator or the already mentioned connector or leaking out via the delivery solenoid inside the welder . £50 or so later with a new Hobby Weld bottle of argon everything was & has been OK.

I've hoisted my welder up to the top of a very sturdy ex MOD four drawer steel filing cabinet , to sit on top of a big 400 mm dia roundel of 19 mm ply which is set on a disabled drivers rotating seat cushion ( about £8 eBay ). It allows the whole welding unit to swivel towards the work I'm doing and also allows easy access to the on off power switch at the back of the welder.

The added advantage of it being up high out of the way from every day damage is it is also easy to cover it over so no grinding dust & crud gets in it . As it is this sort of crud that seems to kill many of the electronic welder by shorting out the internal circuit boards & components .

DTS likes this.
  4. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look.
    Yeah the car wont be ready for its exhaust for probably around 18 months so I have a little bit of time to get practicing :)

5. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts, very much appreciated. I may have to steal the idea of a rotating table for it.
    How do you find the controls on it?

6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

7. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

If you haven’t decided on a machine yet then the Parweld XTM 211 Di is one hell of a contender.
    At its price point it is the only true multi process welder to incorporate synergic mig, synergic mma (stick) and synergic AC and DC tig with HF start, pulse, balance and frequency adjustment.
    It’s dual voltage, 110 or 230 volt, will take a 15kg spool, has up-down mig and tig torch and has a euro connector for the torch.
    I think it’s about as comprehensive a package as it’s possible to get.
    I stock them, have demoed and sold them and found it to be a very, very impressive machine.
    So much so they will be gracing my hire fleet in the near future.

• 20D60445-0E1D-47DA-B4F6-999643A1AD69.png
    DTS and Tom Orrow L like this.
  8. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Oh you've gone and done it now havent you.... need to have a proper look at it but the ac/DC Tig is a bit tempting isnt it. And I had a 32a commando socket put in recently for my compressor so power shouldnt be an issue..

9. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

I am indeed on here :) the Bohler is a great bit of kit, I've used it many times and am always impressed and it's technical specs and features speak for themselves.
    I'd be more than happy to get a video chat setup where we can show how well it welds aluminium, despite it having only a 2 roll wire feed system its class.

Ill agree with Jim, the Parweld XTM 211di is a great bit of kit and is certainly another contender worth considering. I'll reply to your email shortly answering the other questions you have raised

Jbo2231 likes this.
  10. Tom Orrow L

ESAB did a big clear out of all their Thermal Arc stock recently, can confidently say they'll be making a pretty healthy profit on that 252i.

11. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Dont you worry about that until you're back at work buddy, you enjoy your weekend. You wont lose my business for the sake of a couple of days wait for a reply.

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  12. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Just had a look at the parweld, very impressive bit of kit, despite the price it could be a contender if it comes with the TIG torch included.. grateful for the recommendation but not the way I wanted the thread to go Haha, wanted to narrow down my search!
    Looks like it's up to 3 contenders now :doh:

13. DTS Forum Supporter

I work with a division of esab. Depends on your perspective

14. Tom Orrow L

There's plenty of divisions of ESAB. I know what they were offering them out at and it was quite low compared to the RRP of the 252i. Not sure what's meant by my perspective :scared:

Jbo2231 likes this.
  15. Tom Orrow L

It does indeed come with the TIG torch ;)

16. DTS Forum Supporter

compared to the rrp, not compared to a grand on the bay inc vat..

17. Tom Orrow L

By RRP I mean what they're usually sold out at by suppliers, not list price.

18. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

I wouldnt be comfortable spending that kind of money with some random on Ebay who has no interest in keeping my business anyway buddy. Thank you for bring it to my attention but its not something i am interested in. Thanks!

19. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    :D A bit strange:o till I RTFM'd now it's not a problem . :laughing:

Being high up on the filing cabinet top & on the turntable the screen is at about six foot up , they are easy for me to see & adjust ( I'm 5 ' 10" ( ish) but bent to about 5'8" with age & injury )

I've got the manual off line , printed it and heat sealed it in clear envelopes as sequential sheets back to back , then punched it with a standard A4 paper punch , ran some stripped light light flex pvc covered wire through the holes so there is a fair bit of slack so I can flip pages over without ripping them at the punched out holes . I'm keeping this info sheet set in a document drawer in one of the four filing cabinets I have. It's amazing how many times I've had a brainfart and had to refer to the charts in the document .
    Love the facility of it being synergetic where all the calculations / adjustments are set up at the turn of the adjusters. I've also done a bit of experimenting with the manual settings trying to TIG some very thin band saw blades ( that's when I found I'd left the argon on over night to seep away unnoticed till the next time i wanted to use it as TIG .

Jbo2231 likes this.
  20. Jbo2231

Jbo2231 Forum Supporter

Dapph - thanks for your insight, looking like the parweld is the winner at the moment dependant on price. Thank you for letting me know about the GYS though!

Probably wait a few weeks for pay day to top my savings up a bit and stretch the extra few hundred to get the AC Tig feature on the parweld. I know I'm going to kick myself when it comes to welding aluminium otherwise.
    Get a few quotes and see where I am at with the extras on top.

Advertisements