Blending Paint

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I'm doing some welding on the rear lower quarters of a 50 year old car. I've had the paint colour matched but not checked how good it is yet. I've never had to blend paintwork before and am in two minds. Is this something I should try or should I just just hand over to a shop and get done? I'm worried if I have a go and it's rubbish then that just means a bigger and more expensive job to put right but if I do it it's a learning experience and something new. What's folks thoughts? What's the chances of doing this first time by myself and turning out acceptable?

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

all depends where it is.......blending in around doors and wing etc can be diff.....in the old days we used to T cut all around the repair to get clean paint .....
    getting paints matching is a black art.......
    personally have a go, if u need it done prof it won't cost much more to cover up ur trials......
    out of interest, in California when I lived there any more than 3 panels ended up a complete repaint....even for insurance....
    less come backs....

Burdekin and mr haynes like this.
  3. Matchless

Matchless Member

pictures would be a help, does it have a bumper above the repair? solid colour or metallic? what colour, swage lines?

Burdekin and Parm like this.
  4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The problem is even on a brand new car two different paint brands of the same colour can look slightly different but maybe only in certain lights.

As @frank horton says if you end up getting it done by a body shop they are only going redo what you've done so you've got nothing to lose.

Don't assume a body shop is going to spend hours doing spray outs/mixes until they get a good a match, they probably won't unless you find somewhere into matching stuff on old cars.

anjum, Burdekin and mr haynes like this.
  5. mr haynes Member

Have a go
    Watch some vids then batter in

Burdekin likes this.
  6. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Sorry if ive missed it but are we talking metallic? ie clear over base? Different colours blend better, i have found Silver is a nightmare darker colours are better.

As said Have a go.

With metallic a lot depends on how dry the original paint was put on, it should be a few dry coats to get the fleks to stand up and reflect the light but ive done that and if the original paint was slapped on it really stand out as a glittery patch.

I would try a few test pieces and get it out in the sun and see what seems to work.

Ive used a blending spray to get clear coat down to lose the dry edges. That seems to work.

As for blending the colour dont be afraid to widen the patch rubbed down to 500 grit the clear will cover over nicely.

Burdekin likes this.
  7. bert Member

Buy some soft edge tape, I'm right this moment doing a classic mini door step and rear 1/4 blend in metallic green.

• 20200421_164357.jpg
    Burdekin likes this.
  8. postie jon Member

you say 50year old so late 60s early70s, guessing cellulose paint probably, what have you been able to obtain? who provided it ,was it local stockist ie Dingbro or was it internet, chances are, unless they have scanned a panel by the modern method ,they have given you a mix that relates to the code you provided, paint can change colour drastically in 10 yr let alone 50. so i would spray a test panel/card before you think about doing anything, modern shops are nearly all water based with 2k lacquer , and all they will do is colour the repair and lacquer it out over the panel or panels , but depends on what it is your actually wanting done. As an ex panel Beater painter i would be putting it into a shop to be done ,because i have witnessed first hand the mess some guys get into trying DIY, ie original paint reacting with new stuff causing all sort of problems , all of which ended up with more time spent on rectification of previous attempts than what it would have been to get them to do it first time around, personal experience speaking, but its up to you at the end of the day and depends of what kind of finish your after. J.

Burdekin likes this.
  9. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

I would do a test coupon to compare the colour and if it's good, go ahead and try yourself. If not then perhaps a body shop.

Burdekin likes this.
  10. MetalMonkey Member

Honestly, slim without practice first IMO.
    I'm not a pro but I've done quite a bit and several full resprays with pretty decent results (even if I do say so) - and I suck at blending, perhaps getting a 25% success rate at best.
    If I can paint the panel I would prefer to do that and mess around colour matching rather than blend.

There is an art to losing the paint edge, and I think you would be pretty unfair on yourself to expect to pull that off first time without practice.
    On the other hand, if you do have a go and mess it up, you can always give it another shot. Do it enough times and you'll have a full respray :laughing:

Parm likes this.
  11. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It’s solid not metallic.

12. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

The section has actually been re-sprayed at some time, not sure what in. I have colour matched the fuel cap in 2k and have clear to go over the top to help blend and have some blending thinners.

13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I’ll do a test patch and see how close it is. I’ve watched a few YouTube tutorials so understand the process, but that doesn’t mean it will turn out okay. :-)

I’m completing welding one side and not started the other as yet.

1E1570EB-41B6-4768-8E56-F51A10E8746E.jpeg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. MetalMonkey Member

How far around the side does that bumper extend, is there any trim you can hide your blend behind?

Burdekin likes this.
  15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Nobody's going to see it down there anyway, have a go and don't go too far up the panel.

mr haynes, zx9 and Burdekin like this.
  16. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

That’s what I thought but would need to be careful I suppose.

17. MetalMonkey Member

Another thought, unless you are going for a period look, you might get away with painting it and then masking off a line just above your repair all the way around and coating below with a clear stone chip - it would hide any blend line.

18. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Repair is all the lower rear quarter.

485EA687-4339-483B-91B7-15B4A62E97CB.jpeg 24E56D21-C45C-4F8D-B0B5-7242D1163315.jpeg

19. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I did consider that. I originally thought a soft line at the bend might be okay but won’t be quite enough as a little bit on the lower outer arch needs painting too.

20. keithski122 Member

uk
    Go retro and just schultz the lower six inches.

Burdekin likes this.
Advertisements