best gassless flux cored wire for outdoors mig welding

1. sup New Member

Hi Folks,

Sometimes I have to do mig welding on our families rusty cars outside, I have an old Clarke turbo gas/no gas mig. Is there any gasless flux cored 0.8 that you folks would recommend that makes a better weld?
    I currently use Halfords SIP flux cored.

Cheers

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

3. a111r Member

The Lidl flux cored wire is good, also half the price of most others.

4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Lincoln Innershield NR211MP is probably the best for hobby welding but car panels are too thin really.....solid wire would be better

zst likes this.
  5. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

Flux core on anything as thin as car panels can be a recipe for disaster and heartbreak. Burns hot, spatters like mad and leaves behind a flux which makes starting an adjacent weld difficult without much cleaning. Plus any spec of rust or less than perfect metal disappears into a molten blob and a hole. Much easier with gas and a decent wind break. I’ve welded a few small panels in when I didn’t have gas and they are nowhere near as neat or pretty as a gas shielded one.

6. h-dom Member

I replaced both rear jacking points on my e39 using a cheap flux core welder, did a decent job if I may say so myself. Yes it is spattery but decent wire reduces that I've found. As above the best I have used is the lidl one, when its in store I grab as much as I can. INE is the other I use if I can't get the lidl one and it is ok but not as smooth as the lidl stuff.

7. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

SIF has been my favourite so far followed by lidl.

8. rich r

rich r Member

North Yorkshire
    Toparc 0.9mm is my current wire. Not badly priced and easily available from Amazon. Slightly easier to see the molten pool than Lidl stuff and is easy to clean the slag and brown dusty deposit off with a wire brush. I'm getting reasonable success doing lap and butt welds on 0.8mm mild steel now, as long as it's fairly flat (or under about 30 degrees) - I need a lot more practice on more vertical ones.

Don't be put off by prejudice - gasless definitely has its place. Spatter is just like gas mig a matter of torch angle and technique. If you're doing thin metal stitch welds with decent wire the spatter is minimal. A quick buzz with a wire wheel in a drill cleans that and the slag off easily,

Geodawg and eddie49 like this.
Advertisements