Any good gasless wires out there

1. davidjohnperry a different breed

After some gasless wires for structural welding got a few jobs down the yard that will take two weeks to stick weld I could use flux core gas shielded buttttt I cant be arsed to drag my wire feeder and gas bottle across the yard. I've got some Lincoln t11 I think not used it yet as I've got some awful super 6 wire I'm trying to use up for welding skips up at the moment mistake buying that but I bought it blind so hey ho it runs ok but the lidl stuff I played with ran better than that

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

unless you want to pay 50.00+ for a good make gasless wire then no

im up too 30.00+ a roll 5kg not found a good one yet

davidjohnperry likes this.
  3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Lincoln NR 211 always seems to get good reviews,

4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I think Innershield NR211MP is probably the best..Esab Coreshield 11 is another.....but remember 3 passes are the max......otherwise it gets brittle.......first pass is good, second pass embrittles 1st pass, 3rd pas embrittles 2nd.....a 4th pass would be too embrittling of the first 3

5. davidjohnperry a different breed

I'm not one for being cheap but I also dont like wasting money. It's a job for me that will cover the wire I use and my time but only really the time I'm welding I cant deal with running out of gas or having porosity as it's really a job that needs to be done as quick as possible.
    Cheers @TechnicAl I've got some lincoln stuff but it's the cheaper one which isn't rated for seismic shock and only single pass welds I'll try the esab one problem is it's on in 1.6 mm I can find it 15 kg spools ideally would like it in 5kg spools but it is what it is I guess. It's a column which will have a base plate welded on and a flat one side of the flange pre welded before installing then having 3 concrete sections placed between the column and the other I beam creating a wall in such where another flat will be welded on to keep them in place so that a plant operator can scrap up wood clippings created by there slow speed wood Shreader.

6. LeoMkII Member

Hi davidjohnperry, if you need seismic shock rating then lincoln innersheild 232 &233 or esab coresheild 8 are probably your best choice's.
    For general fabrication, even structural then innersheild 211 or coresheild 11 as mentioned by@TecnicAl are easier to use.
    As noted the latter two have plate thickness limitations of 12 to 13mm.
    Flux cored wires like to run hot and fast with a sweet spot of 1-2 volts or so, but once you get it dialed in and a good technique I don't believe
    there's anything faster and on the job time is money.:laughing:

All above is only my personal opinion, I'm probably not the best welder on here but I do like heavy fluxcored with a slight bias toward coresheid 8.

7. davidjohnperry a different breed

It's not about being the best welder buddy it's about sharing knowledge so it's not lost in time. I've looked at the esab 8 wire I've got the 211 on my self as we speak I'll look in to the lincoln wires as if I remember they are slightly cheaper then the esab. Sadly we have lost skilled people who will never pass on there knowledge or to stubborn to

mike os and LeoMkII like this.
  8. LeoMkII Member

I do agree Daivd, to share knowledge is a definitely a good thing and from what I've read on here there are people more than willing to share some of what they know.
    I can only hope some of what I think I know may be of some use to other's.

Anyway, interesting that you may find Lincoln wire slightly cheaper.
    As over here the coresheild 8 i normally use is €50 or so cheaper than nr232 or 233.

On a side note if you do try seismic rated Lincoln and are not used to fluxcore wires you might find nr233 slightly easier to use for the first spool or so anyway, it's slag behaves a bit different and doesn't tend to encroach on the toes of your puddle as you do a slight weave along your run.
    I haven't used nr211 in years but if memory serve's it's a far more forgiving wire to use than the others we've mentioned but it too has 12-13mm plate thickness limitations.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

well all i can say if it wasnt for the members on here all passing on good info to aid others there wouldnt be a forum

seen way too many forums that are all for themselves

never mind up themselves

this place isnt like that

anyone can have there input in a post if anyones willing to post there info onto it

good info is hard to come by

anyway keep posting on the forums its better to post awaylike many of us do coming back you would be surprised on the extra info you pick on here

Mark 2 and LeoMkII like this.
  10. davidjohnperry a different breed

@LeoMkII this is cheaper then esab I'm trying to sort out some deals but I dont have any contacts with esab yet. This is probably what I will end up using but I was hoping to use esab as they seem more up in there socials

• Screenshot_20200830-090318_Chrome.jpg
  11. LeoMkII Member

That's seems a good price for a 12kg spool of 233, I've paid €230 for the same item from a lincoln dealer in dublin!! ( it might have actually been 1.7mm)
    Admittedly that was 3 or more years ago now, it may have come down in price since.
    The 1.6mm coresheild 8 i'm using is around €150 or so, I normally get 5 spools at a time.
    Converted over it's similar to what you have there.

Out of interest have you much experience with fluxcored wire?

12. davidjohnperry a different breed

I've ran 15 kg of it and love it I've got a video I been meaning to post about the review of the machine I use I've just been to busy with being a new dad and my day job and trying to fit in my own work in between it. Any who I love it I've got 2 reels of lincoln but I have been running elga mega fill and it was amazing

13. LeoMkII Member

Hey congratulations, my wee girl turned 6 only a few weeks ago.
    I'll never forget the sleepless nights that seemed to have unbelievably long days in between them.
    Gives a hole new meaning to life though, as long as your all healthy and getting a bit of sleep that's all that matters.
    There's nothing more important in life than family.. Especially in these times we're all going through.

Anyway back to welding.:laughing:

The first two rolls I used were nr233, it took me a good while to get the swing off it. You've been using duel sheid fulxcored so I'd Imagine it'll come quicker
    to ya as your somewhat used to the slag already.
    After the first spool I was ready to give up! Bird s##t everywhere! Feeding problem's and couldn't put a decent bead together at all!!
    But then it all started to come together for me, changed my u rollers for knurled ones helped a bit.
    Then changed my liner for a Teflon one, and I now blow it out with an airline between spools. You wouldn't believe the dust that come's out of it.
    I bought a 350a parweld fluxcore torch after a few spools and all's been good since. Fluxcore likes a nice steady feed and a nice steady hand.

I like to start off with small tip to work of 8mm and then let it out to 15-20mm or so once a good arc is established.
    They say you shouldn't weave fluxcore but a find a tight weave helps me get a good weld, don't hang around at the corners of the weave or you will
    Possibly get slag inclusions at the other side of your puddle. I find you need to keep moving to keep the slag behind your puddle.

It's an amazing wire once you get the hang of it, no gas to get blown away and no rods to change every inch or three.
    Yes it's expensive but it more than pays for itself, good penetration and the ones we've mentioned above are almost identical to 7018 rods. It's just in a wire.
    I don't think there's a faster process for uphill fillets or tee joints and horizontal flats are unbelievable.
    It's good overhead as well, but we all know the story there. Good head cap required.:thumbup: I've yet to meet anyone that looks forward to that one!!

14. Vambo Member

Check out this stuff, EWM FCW 71T-11 Selfshield Flux Cored MIG Wire - I believe RHDavey does it. I think its magic compared to the normal 'hobbyist' stuff, however as I have a small GYS welder I have to rewind it onto a small 100mm reel, PITA to do but worth doing in my case I feel.

15. davidjohnperry a different breed

@LeoMkII cheers for that buddy I'll try the 211 lincoln stuff first see how it goes in a non critical application still got two reels of lincoln flux core to use up gas shielded might just use it and save my self some Penny's for the moment as I have everything on self and man up and drag the small co2 bottle about. @Vambo I've seen the ewm on Jim's website but I dont think it's for critical applications

LeoMkII likes this.
  16. LeoMkII Member

That looks like it could be a good wire, if the qualitys good it should be ok. It has the same spec as esab coresheild 11 and Lincoln 211.
    £83 or so for a 15kg spool of 1.2mm , over here in Ireland that would be good value as well.
    A bit light for my application, as I normally use 1.6 and 2mm wire.

17. davidjohnperry a different breed

If I'm right In thinking the 211 and 8 cant be used in seismic load but if it's like the esab 11 or 232 then it is fine but I promise when I get a bit of time ill play with it and find my results might contact jim and investigate this ewm stuff

18. LeoMkII Member

Totally agree, ya can't beat trying a few different wires and manufacturers to see what works best for your application and technique. Although this can very quickly get a bit expensive.:(

Lincoln nr232, 233 and esab coresheild 8 are seismic rated wires.
    Nr211 and coresheild 11 aren't seismic rated but are good spec wires and can be used for structurral welding, bridge construction, ship hulls, industrial and general fabrication welding. As long as plate/weld thickness limits are observed, 5-6mm for wire 1.6mm or less and12-13mm for wires over 1.6mm. Although I will admit I've used 1.6 with half inch plate with no call backs or problems.
    EWM FCW 71t-11 wire should come under the same rating Nr211 and cs11, as I presume it's in the E71T-11 category and should have the same welding qualitys and limitations.
    Even though the same grade of wire from different manufacturers can feel a bit different in use.
    If it's a good quality wire I might try some myself especially if it's available in larger diameters.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  19. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Dcal, LeoMkII and davidjohnperry like this.
  20. LeoMkII Member

Yea, just about the best fluxcore video on the web.
    For anyone interested the do's and don'ts on this video are applicable to most fluxcored wires.
    I also read a very detailed trend long time ago it but couldn't find it last night, I'll try to fire up an old unused computer this evening. I think the link might be saved on it.

Advertisements