Any good gasless wires out there

1. davidjohnperry a different breed

2. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

There used to be another brochure....a better one....I helped to write it:clapping:

3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    What causes that?

4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Nitrogen basically.......the first pass absorbs the atmospheric nitrogen into solution.....the heat of the second pass transforms some of the nitrides from globular shapes to angular shapes (which become stress raisers)...thus embrittling the fist pass...the heat of the second pass (third layer) exaggerates this and the weld becomes too brittle. The literatures says max weld thickness of 10mm which is what you would expect from 3 layers....but really its the 3 layers thats the issue.

What you have to know is that self shielded is really a misnomer......gasless is better description.....they dont provide an effective shield as such....the weld metal can cope with atmospheric ingress and remain ductile....Nitrogen levels in Innershield welds can be 20x higher than say a 7018 weld but theres no porosity and the ductility is acceptable.

5. davidjohnperry a different breed

@TechnicAl is a legend I kinda understand what you mean I'll play with it when I get some time I'll post my findings. @TechnicAl you have any rough voltage and wire feed settings

6. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Very interesting, i wont pretend to know it.

but that is knowledge that can be worked with much appreciated

7. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

8. davidjohnperry a different breed

That's interesting that the 1.1 wire is Max 17 volts for max thickness of 12 mm

9. LeoMkII Member

davidjohnperry likes this.
  10. davidjohnperry a different breed

Wow that is some great information

LeoMkII likes this.
  11. LeoMkII Member

Hope some will find it useful.
    I read it well after I had started using fluxcore. But I definitely took some good info from it.

It's not only the knowledge blaster shared but the thought, skill and time that was used to write in such an informative and easy to read manner that impressed me.

davidjohnperry likes this.
  12. davidjohnperry a different breed

Gas shielded flux core is great dont get me wrong that stuff Is amazing but I'm always looking for new things to try for efficiency

LeoMkII likes this.
  13. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Yes, Its very good.....They use Innershield a lot more over in the US than we do in Europe so the welders over there obviously have much more experience......I saw he was using 0.072".......take care because it also available in 0.068" only 4 thou smaller but its a different flux fill.....the 0.068" is better for downhand whilst the slightly bigger 0.072" is better for positional. The NR233 is considered to be much easier to get used to especially 1.6mm

LeoMkII and gordon stephenson like this.
Advertisements