bending steel for engine mount bracket

1. seanc Member

northants
    Im in the process of making engine mounts for a swap im doing. one is fairly simple the other requires me to make several bends. im planning on using 4mm mile steel.

bracket.jpg

ive done this quick picture to explain the shape rather than try to explain it. ive looked into hydraulic benders but i think id have problems bding the second bend back in on itself as theres not alot of space there to work with (approx 8cm) any suggestions of how it could be done other than making it in 2 pieces ?

2. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

For a one off I’d slice a groove with a fat cut off wheel just where you want the bends, then run weld along it ofter it’s been bent.

If you have access to a press brake without etc or et offset tooling it would be easy.

3. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I use one of these sometimes.

It's managed to bend up a tray of about 8x4 inches in 3mm steel before.
    But it partly depends on how much space you have between the jaws & the base of the vice.

All the Best,
    CJ

Brummie and seanc like this.
  4. seanc Member

northants
    I was looking at a small brake press but don’t think I’d get the 2 bends that are close together in tight enough together. Slitting and weddings and option though

5. seanc Member

northants
    That may be use for some of the bends and cheap enough to justify giving it a go.

6. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

If you don't want to get a local company to bend it on their press brake, then cutting and welding is a fair option, if your welds are up to it?

I hope you're going to brace at least one side of that mount.

Westfield-builder likes this.
  7. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

15917712911312393956137819474028.jpg

As been said before cut a line to make bending easyer and weld would make the bend thicker and stronger and depending and how strong you need it make a brace and weld in the middle ?

8. seanc Member

northants
    Yes I’m going to brace down the middle. It was just a rough picture for shape

9. Country Joe

@Munkul - Your drawing is far better than mine!

If I knew the dimensions, I could cut it out of thin stuff (or even card) and see if it was do-able on mine.
    But the all-important gap between jaws & base is only 60mm, on mine.

All the Best,
    CJ

10. Country Joe

This gap, I mean.

2016-05-23_15.32.38.jpg

The amount of sapce left under the v-formers is only 60mm.

All the Best,
    CJ

11. seanc Member

northants
    Yeh I think I could get 2 of the bends done on one of those but would have to slit and weld the last one

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  12. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I have never seen one of those before! Looks really handy.

13. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    @seanc you thinking of doing the holes before or after the bend? If before you're going to have to be spot on with the bends
    As @Morrisman 1 piece laid out slit where you want the bends fold and weld,or even 2 bits one with the 4 holes joined to the one with 1 hole,over cut them so you can line them up,mounts? just the 2?

14. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Done similar in a vice with a lump hammer and wearing ear defenders.

Form the 90 degree first. Take it out, turn it round, put the part that will be the angle piece in the vice, so as you bend it, the 90 bend goes down the back/front of the vice - might need to use a flat bar as a tool up into the 90 bend to drive the metal over. Once done, take it out, form the last bend, again, maybe using a bit of flat bar as a drift to drive it over with the hammer. Finesse as required after forming.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  15. mechman Member

I've got one of those benders, good tool, got mine from Axminster tools years ago.

16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

4mm you can do in a good vice with a large hammer...6mm gets difficult even with a sledge hammer and a good swing :doh:

I would also groove it by just a few mm and then run a weld...grooving gives you more precision as the steel will naturally bend along the groove.

17. MBB Forum Supporter

Fabricate it in two pieces then weld together if you cant bend it in one piece.

18. tom2207 Member

put the groves in with a thin disc and on the inside , and they will fold like cardboard , as mentioned , run a weld down the inside and leave them alone , all will be grand ,,, even easier if you do it in two parts , and drill the holes before you bend it . a good old card board template is worth its weight in gold , nice cherios boxes work well , other cereals may work too .... for the old hands it was always either the card of the back of a new head gasket packet , or an air filter box ..

Wany and Pigeon_Droppings2 like this.
  19. ukracer Forum Supporter

Speak to @doubleboost . It would make a great Sunday Nitecap.
    Plasma with required weakening slots and welding to boot. ;)

doubleboost likes this.
  20. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Just need a drawing

ukracer likes this.
Advertisements