Baromix power barrow

1. tom2207 Member

I once stripped the sump a Renault Midliner engine , the driver had finally got round to saying he was always having to top up the water , but it never boiled , when I dropped the sump the entire engine was full of what looked like angel delight , ,[ Or hair mouse if your not old enough to remember angel delight] it seemed so thick and gloopy that the thing was going to need all sorts , but it had no knocks on the in , so after scooping out all the goo , and washing everything in a few gallons of brake cleaner and a close inspection it seemed ok ,, new oil filter and fresh oil ,, and off it went again . Oil and filter change the next day too, and it never looked back.
    So Im guessing this lorry had run about for a couple of thousand miles like that.

stuvy, northwest and vw-al like this.
  2. vw-al

vw-al Member

Yes there are a few shiny bits in the bottom, I’m certain that anything that’s at least 40 years old and has had a hard life will have a few shiny bits or some wear , but it all works, and with fresh oil in, it’ll be reet. It will get a final wash out after I’ve cleaned up the mating surfaces and made the gasket, there doesn’t appear to be any damage from the old oil. One bush turned up for the torque/clutch/drive unit so I have pressed that in. Changed the engine oil and replaced the threads/stud on the gear stick.
    Country Joe, I will have a go at fixing anything, but I spend all day fixing at work so I get use to it.
    image.jpg

tom2207 likes this.
  3. vw-al

vw-al Member

I was given an old sack truck this afternoon,perfect timing as I wanted to replace the rear wheel, so stripped both wheels apart and bolted the 2 bearing hub sides together and fitted a new tyre and tube I had from a garden cart, found the right size bolt in the odds and sods bin, also cleaned and greased the idler pulley

image.jpg

Also made the gearbox gasket

image.jpg
    New fuel pipe clips and filter

image.jpg
    Busy day.

4. tom2207 Member

Ah , its working with you ,, its trying to make a come back ,, some things just want to '' rust in pieces'' thats a fighter , your onto a real winner.

Gragson and vw-al like this.
  5. winchman

winchman Member

Excellent work

vw-al likes this.
  6. vw-al

vw-al Member

The other bush arrived so after a little modification in the lathe it’s fitted and the clutch unit reassembled.

9A65DEA1-89A7-4C77-987E-808ACC100A05.jpeg

AD02D052-C328-4B55-8DB3-29F146EDD007.jpeg
    Still waiting for gearbox oil, I have ordered a new air filter and a second silencer to add into the exhaust to see if it will quieten it down a bit .

jpmillermatic and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. KemppiFrog Member

I have stripped a few engines and found emulsified oil in the sump. Oddly, it doesn't seem to corrode the bits. One was a Haflinger I saw in a field, must have been there for a few years with the engine cover off and the carb collecting water. Expected the inside to be rusty as ++++, but it wasn't. Quick clean and it was OK.
    Looking at the g/box, does it have reverse? The gears to the right of the selector must have a shaft below them?
    And, I might have missed it, but what is the engine? Updraft carbs are not so common and I can't read what it says.

Edit: just seen the brass plate. Villiers, duh!

vw-al and mike os like this.
  8. vw-al

vw-al Member

The emulsified oil doesn’t seem to have caused any problems, yes it has reverse, you are correct the gear shaft is hidden below the selectors, yep it’s a Villiers f15.

9. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

got the oil in it yet ?

vw-al likes this.
  10. vw-al

vw-al Member

No, not had a chance, tomorrow hopefully, doing a service and atf fluid change on my dads land Rover today :vsad:

11. vw-al

vw-al Member

Final wash out, 3.5 l of new EP80/90 new gasket and sealant.

66BE51D7-44DE-47CA-9625-E979731B2611.jpeg

12. vw-al

vw-al Member

Loads of little jobs done, also stripped and painted , now reassembled and running still need to do the skip, fitted a towball and towed my new non running digger round the back of the house with it.

2484966D-6BB9-4669-A63C-74A6CF6D26E7.jpeg
    3AE39A82-25C8-4A02-B045-C358830EB419.jpeg

13. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    We had one like that about a week ago on the yard

tom2207 likes this.
  14. KemppiFrog Member

Very Good! That tow ball will come right in handy for moving the caravan about...
    Quite fancy a digger like that, was it pricey as a non runner? There is an outfit near here that sells kits for them; But I really don't need another project. Do I?

vw-al likes this.
  15. vw-al

vw-al Member

Hi All
    Forgot to update on this it’s all finished and working, skip is welded and painted, not used in anger yet other than towing the digger round the back of the house (need to do the digger next) and the kids have been having trips around the garden in it.
    A28A4761-2505-4CBE-B2DC-A62C31990923.jpeg

Advertisements