Bandsaws will probably be banned now

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    slim_boy_fat, jerrytug, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  2. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I suppose it's better for the Darwin effect to kick in once they have left school. :vsad:

Bob

3. minimutly Member

Just one of the reasons we don't make stuff in this country anymore...

lchris21, jerrytug, Beeezer and 5 others like this.
  4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Some people are hell bent on harming themselves. There was a lad in our metal work class that would go out of his way to injure himself. Thought it was funny, getting the teacher into greif. Stopping the class etc.

Then you have adults; on the Woodyard a bloke shoved his hand into a Spindle moulder doing 20k. He had been doing that job for some yrs, and knew what to do ,and more importantly what NOT to do.

Munched half his fingers off. There was talk he did it deliberately to get compo

5. tom2207 Member

Times have changed a lot , I was on a site a few years ago , installing background music systems ,, another of my odd jobs ,
    Crash , and one of the electricians had fallen off a set of steps ,, so he was laying in a heap , and pointing at his jacket , shouting phone phone , we thought it was to call for an ambulance , as both myself and the guy i was with are first aid trained we started to go through the procedures ,, but in broken English all he said was phone phone ,, he was Polish , so to calm him down one of us did more assessment , the other got the phone , I thought it odd but no , next shout was picture picture , the guy was after the picture to be able to claim compensation ,,,
    Back when I was starting out , the first thing you did after a fall or a trip , was look about to see if anyone had seen you being an a*se and as long as no one was laughing at ya , you had got away with it.
    Times change.

6. julianf

julianf Member

It was an independent school. Parents with wealth may have wanted their pound of (someone else's) flesh.

Hopefuldave and tom2207 like this.
  7. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    State schools just as bad. Many of the kids are raised in a benefits - compensation culture.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  8. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Crap like this is the reason I have students that genuinely cannot mark a line on a given measurement from an edge. I wish I was exaggerating

jerrytug, optima21, Hitch and 7 others like this.
  9. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    we weren't allowed to use the bandsaw at school. We were taught how to use a hacksaw and file properly instead, which was far more useful tbf

10. julianf

julianf Member

One of the windows of the tech dept didn't lock properly at my school.

We used to "break" in after hours and use the machines we were not otherwise allowed to.

11. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I used to work with a guy who did that, in the 70's, stuck his finger in front of a shaper tool to get compo.

He obviously said it was an accident, at the time, but did admit it was for the money eventually, and he also said he'd never realised it would hurt so much.

And the 2k compo he got, not worth it, he reckoned even 20k wouldn't be enough for him to do it again.

ronan, mike os and zx9 like this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

But every student in the classroom learned a valuable lesson from the accident
    We can't wrap everything up in cotton wool

Been working with fast spinning blades most of my life. Ive had 3 close calls

13. colnerov

colnerov Member

...and probably didn't want there child going into 'trade'. Dirty hands, tut.

fizzy and Lewis_RX8 like this.
  14. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

In Italy happened this

Students can't use tools but can play with poisonous chemical things
    If you are doing working school you can't even watch a brush
    Things are "too dangerous " for schools so nobody will learn nobody would like to continue studying because are just books and people who you can't wait for seeing them dead

slim_boy_fat, fizzy and Hopefuldave like this.
  15. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I only left school a year or so ago and I live in wales and we weren't allowed near stuff like bandsaws, circular saw table saw. However we could use a metal lathe, wood lathe and a scroll saw. My argument was always why cant I use a band saw but I can use a scroll saw if I wanted to cut my finger off with a scroll saw it would do it it would just take much longer. However, I can see why they're so strict I already knew lots about woodworking machinery because my dad had his own bespoke kitchen company for 27 years and showed me the dos and don'ts. But you wouldn't believe some of the things people would do in a class room.

16. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

its been quite a while since i was at school :whistle:

but even then no one was allowed to use the bandsaw or bench saw or we even had 2 forges that when we where taught on bashing metal the teacher stood there for 1 lesson heated it bashed bent and twisted and there you go turned off that was it we did not even put metal in the forge

the bandsaw was teacher use only apart from 6 form a level even then they had to have a teacher in the room if he left you stoped
    ( in later years of normal school life the last year i stoped french and been agreed i could do more work on my project in the dt room it was the best time in school for me i never got much done on the project as i used to help the teacher with the year 1,2,3 when doing pratical stuff walking around the teacher one day he had 5 kids around him aking questions he said to a few of them go and ask him pointing to me so i started helping giving pointers on how to cut sand etc i realy enjoyed it made me think being a teacher woul be good pitty i cant spell :laughing:)

17. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    mate and I had the run of the craft block
    even had a key each (lent a key by teacher so copied it) one lunchtime teacher walked in as we were casting brass fittings for mates mirror dinghy.
    we knocked up the patterns formed it in sand and melted a huge amount of knicked scrap in the furnace, at 15 yr old we were just told if we need to do it agaain tell someone.

we used the lathes and milling machines freely.

eLuSiVeMiTe, gav0994, fizzy and 5 others like this.
  18. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

same as us the mill and lathe and donkey saw where ok in the last 2 years not before

Hopefuldave and Jacktegla like this.
  19. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I left school in 81. They wouldn't let us use the Tom Senior Mill the Harrison VS or the chopsaw. Not because we hadn't been taught, but for the reasons I gave earlier, and those who just wanted to trash school property.

(I was the one of youngest in the yr so stayed on into the ‘lower 6th’ I had pretty much free use of the metalwork shop then, they would let me machine my own projects in school time. I built a 12" black powder 1/2" bore cannon one term:laughing:)

20. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

I couldn't possibly tell you what tom foolery we got up to in the metal work room at school

Advertisements