Badly mig welded car/partsparts

1. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    You shoukd have said,

I have a viva HC project, with a mint shell, that I should probably move on.

2. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

I don't think it's bad enough to start looking at donor shells, and if yours is in good nick then it would be a pity to do anything other than restore it. I bought this because it was going to be broken, and as it's a pretty unusual car I didn't want to see that happen.

It's certainly not as bad as my previous project, the only atrocious workmanship on that was mine when I'd first attempted some repairs, and that was long enough before that they'd already started detaching themselves as the metal behind disintegrated.

3. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    From your username, it sounds like you would like my project - https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/pictures-of-old-or-rare-vehicles.102789/page-11 although that ones in a completely unrestored state so I wont have to fix other peoples bodges

4. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

Yes indeed, and it's great that you have such a history with it. As I acquired this in largely-dismantled form, the photos I took when I got it aren't really worth posting. I did quite a long thread on another forum covering my previous rebuild of another of these, and I haven't been doing the same for this as there's only so much difference from the first. The chap I got it from stuck a few bits back on it to give an idea of it, this is one of his photos.

92578550_1394538894086981_1944879371948916736_n.jpg

zx9, tom2207, malcolm and 2 others like this.
  5. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    Nice! Where was your other thread? I would like to have a read? I am on the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club forum (and a club member) but couldn't really find others with their level of info.

6. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

7. stuvy

stuvy Member

I picked up some parts the other week from a classic car restoration place and saw this

The guys were all in there 50’s and had all the gear but obviously no idea

• 9F204F66-29D8-4226-BB3F-51274F0D3C41.jpeg
    zx9, Dcal and jsf55 like this.
  8. hobby_machinist Member

I can hear "Im welding my whole life so dont teach me how to weld"

zx9, anto and stuvy like this.
  9. stuvy

stuvy Member

Thing is they will sell that car at £100k

it was a smart relatively new work shop not something in an old barn on a farm

8ob and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Of course we're all assuming they did it and that the car wasn't in for remedial works! :)

11. stuvy

stuvy Member

I asked the chaps and they proudly told me what it will sell at, I enquired do you do all the work

the car has had new floor pans, inner sills and outer plus all 4 wing lips

it must be about 5k in panels and the ones they have made really didn’t look good

It was the only picture I managed to snap

zx9, Nick DV and RWD3M like this.
  12. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

:oThat's shocking!

zx9 and stuvy like this.
  13. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

motorbike parts:
    A mudguard, with really nice paint. My 3 year old nephew bounced on the seat and cracks appeared in the paint.
    The guard had six mig welded patches, not sure if they were patches maybe just blobs of mig weld, blobbed till it
    formed a patch. The photo doesn't do them justice they are about 3/8th of an inch thick,
    I drilled holes around the bad patches, intending on sawing out the patch, pressing on the drill pushed the patches off. neat-welding.jpg

Myles1970, zx9, Nick DV and 1 other person like this.
  14. stuvy

stuvy Member

Iv actually worked for a company and he asked me to paint over holes in the floor of a rally car with seam sealer rather than properly fix it

I refused but the apprentice jumped at the chance to use seam sealer for the first time

first pic should be of my torch underneath it

edit, I really should wait for the pictures to upload

• DA4F666D-0356-4248-99A1-B207262572D6.jpeg
    • 8AAC966A-8105-4066-A282-A89F9025A93A.jpeg
    Nick DV and RWD3M like this.
  15. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

A rally car and he wanted that done!!! :o Ahh, it's ok though, he's run the HT cable inside the car so that makes it safe and race ready :vsad:

zx9 and stuvy like this.
  16. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

There doesn't seem to be one but if there was, I'd insert a 'shakes head' emoji here!

stuvy likes this.
  17. stuvy

stuvy Member

this was a fully fledged business with 10 staff and over 150 cars to look after... cowboys

Nick DV and tom2207 like this.
  18. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    To be fair, they don't look to be rust holes, and all he wants to do is stop the notes getting wet . . . :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

\I had a transit van where someone had done the same with the chassis rails: except using expanding foam, rather than concrete

Nick DV, stuvy and Nauticus like this.
  20. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

I was at an event last year, and a local classic restoration company had three of the same car on display - one in "as found" condition, the centre one a "restored" painted bare shell with some parts going back on, and the third a completely rebuilt car, obviously to show off the quality of the work. There wasn't much going on at the show so I spent quite a bit of time looking around these cars, and came to the conclusion that the only one I'd want was the one they hadn't touched. At first, it just looked like they hadn't straightened the brake pipes out properly before fitting them, but then I started noticing other stuff. Looking through the holes in the chassis box section (which are supposed to be there) there was MIG wire that had run through the welds they'd done on the other side. Several plates over poor parts of the floor and bulkhead where the original metal clearly hadn't been cut out before the plate went on. I did try to have a chat with the guy manning the stand, but he kept avoiding me. I don't know if he'd picked up on how unimpressed I was, but I actually wanted to ask if they'd just slapped the paint on to be able to show the three stages and were actually intending to rectify it.

The view through the chassis: MIG wire and a crinkly brake pipe, and not repairing the edge on the side nearest the camera.

web_Imgp3143.jpg

And how about this for a floor pan repair?

web_Imgp3120.jpg

Paint had a lovely shine to it, though. Like I said, maybe they were going to strip, rectify and paint, but they'd already started fitting brake pipes to it.

McGeee, Nick DV, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
Advertisements