Badly mig welded car/partsparts

1. Jay1st

Jay1st AdeptusMechanicus wanna be.

What about the factory welds (robot) on the "new" Jeep JL ?

[​IMG]

I even found a topic on here

stuvy likes this.
  2. hobby_machinist Member

Looks funny but after years of vibration and rust it will not be funny. It looks like speed is to fast and not enough gas.

You might remeber youtuber ChuckE2009, he did a repair on a small car trailer that had a cracked weld, reason it was cracked was large crater in the end of a weld, this aint far from it

stuvy and Jay1st like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Aye, it was discussed in depth a while back - consensus was they're rubbish and sometimes inadequate.

Jay1st likes this.
  4. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

I've just bought a project, and the work that has been done to it so far has been terrible. Patches either side of a rusty section so it can't be seen, sealant all over the place. Would be a much quicker job if I didn't have to spend a load of time removing someone else's poor work. And that's before we get onto the appalling shape of some of the repairs. There's nowhere to fix the front wing, because the floor and footwell side is completely the wrong shape.

Myles1970, metalmelt and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

Is this also from the 'House of the Griffin'?

metalmelt likes this.
  6. Robbie260 Member

Have to admit its really quite depressing the quality of the workmanship that gose on. Been rebuilding my land rover but work has kind of stalled as i want to do it all properly, and everytime i look at it i find yet another bodge job it has really started to get to me. Not to mention the fact when you look into getting all the tools to do the job properly you realize its going to cost the earth, even if you are managing to make do in a few places.

TomCGB and zx9 like this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

Check out @KimB's thread about her LR - she did a great job.

zx9, metalmelt, KimB and 3 others like this.
  8. Robbie260 Member

Kimb did an amazing job, she is a very talented young lady. FInally starting to get mine rolling but its a long hard slog. And when you keep coming a cross stuff where other people have had no pride in thier work it really is a bit of a downer.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@Robbie260 Sounds like you need an assistant to spur you on!

stuvy and Robbie260 like this.
  10. Robbie260 Member

Ah getting there with its just a matter of time and money. Been saving ad getting most of the parts and tools required up until now so hopefully will start making some real headway soon.

11. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@Robbie260 That's the problem sometimes on projects is that you struggle to see the progress

metalmelt and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. Robbie260 Member

Yes deffinately is the problem there is a whole point where it just bleeds money but seems to stay stationary.

zx9 and Ashley Burton like this.
  13. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

Not a car but a badly welded cow! my sister bought this, don't know why..... anyhow it fell over and broke into three parts, no weld just slag from arc welding rods, I have tacked it back together.

20200904_115132 (1).jpg 20200901_112022.jpg 20200901_112046.jpg 20200901_112032 (1).jpg 20200901_112051.jpg

14. e5c0rt.mk1

e5c0rt.mk1 Member

This was done on a family members car. The car failed its test on rotten sills, and the m.o.t garage did the welding on it.

20200811_110255.jpg
    20200811_110258.jpg
    20200811_110302.jpg
    20200811_110409.jpg 20200811_110440.jpg

Its all been sorted now but how can anyone think thats acceptable.

15. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Wow,
    Imagine paying someone to do that.

stuvy, Nick DV, metalmelt and 2 others like this.
  16. metalmelt Member

They could have at least tried using gas, joining the dots, and hitting both pieces of metal.

anto and Dcal like this.
  17. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

It is indeed. This is typical of the work done - looks neat, but if you see the sill on the left hand side of the photo, the inner sill should follow along until it reaches the front, and that is where the bottom of the front wing should mount. Copious amount of white sealant are covering up just how poorly it's been done. The floor has a large rubber grommet in it, which I think is only used to drain primer during production, you can just see it just near the front lower edge of the sill. The rubber grommet is still in place, and the floor has been patched above it, so it can't easily be removed without removing the patch. On the plus side, if it's like the bottom of the door pillar, there won't be much weld holding in.

web_Cimg6455.jpg

A plate had been fixed to the inner wing to strengthen the bonnet hinge area - a common fault on Viva HC shells and a cheap repair plate used to be available. This one has been fitted with about 3" overlap on the original inner wing, so you can imagine what was between the two.

18. mechman Member

Good heavens

Robbie260 likes this.
  19. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

zx9, Nick DV and Cobbler like this.
  20. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

When I started to read that “the cow went home yesterday” I thought that’s putting it a bit strong, then I realised you were on about the tin monstrosity. Personally I can’t stand these so say sculptures made out of bits of sheet metal.

Nauticus likes this.
Advertisements