Audi ur quattro

1. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

started on a big brake conversion had some bits lying around and lots of time
    rebuilt these calipers girling G60 fitted to jags and audi 200 turbos ,had to make btackets and wed them to the ms strut plates its a fabricated strut ,! temp tigtacked them with spacers to hold against the discs than established the position of the carriers , made bosses and tigged and drilled tapped to m12 fitted original tacks together after prepping plate drilling and,tapping strut for a, full pen weld with the plate pre set i rooted the plate with pz 6513 from under th car ,not easy btw , but the only way to get it right 20200428_120544.jpg 20200428_120516.jpg 20200428_120459.jpg 20200428_185355.jpg and,check for fouling and alignment it wiil get a clean up with a,burr then filled and capped just enough to blend flush with 7018, struts will be,removed fully welded ,derusted painted and new rubber bits 20200428_120544.jpg

ronan, Migmac, 8ob and 5 others like this.
  2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

nice work, when u gonna get the rest sorted....?

3. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

well the past two weeks i have been going at it full on got the whole back end finished renewed all brake pipes ,fuelpipes machined discs ,new fuel pump and filter , made a stainless rear pipe with titanium apropovich back box de rusted everything and waxed it. soooo its the front now getting the full treatment , i was wise to buy ball joints and track rod ends 10 years ago when stopped using it
    of course the list is endless , then i have the volvo upgrade with the later v/c audi g box and matching diff to fit

20200424_120532.jpg

• 20200421_115741.jpg
  4. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

got the struts welded today
    heres the first pass ,root, then turned over and a quick clean with a carbide burr
    blasted some 2.5 7018 in at 90 amps to flush then a pass with around 84 amps to cap this was dressed back to flush and and any stress raisers blended in ,oh and a wee shot of the titanium exhaust box 20200430_142401.jpg

• 20200430_142018.jpg
    • 20200430_150532.jpg
    • 20200430_145326.jpg
    • 20200430_161944.jpg
    • 20200430_162911.jpg
    • 20200430_123212.jpg
    ronan, anto44, 8ob and 6 others like this.
  5. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

struts dismantled 20200501_115607.jpg 20200501_115543.jpg cleaned up with pipeline brushes and tungsten brurrs and slapped on a coat of
    paint

ronan, 8ob, jpmillermatic and 3 others like this.
  6. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

wishbones had a derust and paint then poured boiling wax thru them Like a caramel coating inside for the eagle eyed theve been stiffened too ,got old bushes out with a,big vice and spacer tubes
    anti roll bar cleaned and painted
    calipers painted red it makes them better im told ? new rubbers tommorow courtesy of starret holesaw and old tyre , perfect reinforced material ive found 20200503_131928.jpg 20200503_164123.jpg 20200503_164057.jpg

stuvy, ronan, 8ob and 4 others like this.
  7. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

completed the brake conversion had to relocate the brake hose connection
    made stainless plate brackets had to incorporate some method of stopping rhe hose from twisting round , found an old 14mm socket and cut sections off it about 5mm deep these were welded to the brackets hose fits inside and is held in by the retainer spring at the joint, new pipe was fitted cupro ,nickel and i made new hose brackets , bolted and pin to locate to struts
    front x member was like new and still had the parts label on , radius arm bushes replaced ,new track rod ends and bottom ball joints , made stainless p clips to hold pipes to body
    just had a wee test drive on the farm road to bed the brakes , and the hand brake has adjusted up nicely now , and made new anti roll bar end bushes holesaw and tyre method 20200505_204530.jpg 20200505_204853.jpg
    think roll cage next

indy4x, DavidS16, wacky7791 and 2 others like this.
  8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

looks quite good with the v6 avant wheels i got localy , look a bit like minilites ,got the volvo engine ,sitting waiting impatiently ,getting it rea 20200507_204840.jpg dy for a test run up ,made an oil cooler bypass tonight out the old hose ends and a wee clamp out a thick washer cut in half and a nut , stripped all the front bits and checked timing belt for rat damage all ok 20200507_204941.jpg x

20200506_213132.jpg

ronan, 8ob, jpmillermatic and 3 others like this.
  9. tom2207 Member

looks great not a lot of spare room between calipers and rims ,,, perfect.

10. nickk Forum Supporter

Why the SU,thought it would be injected.
    Btw what’s the gear drive behinds the vice ,painted blue.
    I have an LPG converted b3 coupe,love those pre A series Audi’s.

stuvy likes this.
  11. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

i am willing to lose a bit power ,these 2.3 volvos are good for around 225bhp stock
    , with injection , i want it ultra simple , fix at the roadside , a 2 inch su can flow enough mixture when blown through for 300bhp and be very tame and smooth at low speeds
    im more at home with carbs than a laptop
    the injectors are still in the modded manifold and i might use them for methanol on boost
    a carburetted system also cools the charge from liquid to gas
    oh the big gear drive is fom a pedal you move back and forward and drives the big screw up and pushes the curved roller up to the flat one , its an old Keetona English wheel a proper one !

8ob, slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  12. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

had the volvo up and running with Su carb
    was gravity feedin the carb gave it a big rev and got a petrol face wash out the feed pipe,
    i figured out on gravity i have to boost the fuel,supply , it had a leak in the manifold to cyl head due to a bit of warpage this is now corrected with a big file not too bad honestly Brad , ive made a temp pressured tank and will get it fired again, i manualy adjjustted the timing for happy ave 20200519_195449.jpg 20200519_195449.jpg rage running and still startable

8ob, Rannsachair and tom2207 like this.
  13. tom2207 Member

great solution , well done.

14. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

spent the day fettling the carburation fitted a stronger dashpot spring and a hand filed needle ,had a wire in thru the damper to find the point of lift that needed more fuel then measured that point on the needle depth and diameter and filed it a few thou larger and run it on boost its running very well
    and final tweaking should be a doddle now
    ignition timing is now cable operated and if you look carefully you will see me adjusting it
    i always use an old , redex vacuum test gauge as it has both vacuum and pressure
    and you can tell lots whats going on with it
    like the ideal timing setting for idle ,cooling is hose pipe with spring water , and i hooked up a clutch slave cyl and clutch is operating fine few more wee jobs then its transplant time
    20200608_134517_1.gif

stuvy, jpmillermatic, Exuptoy and 4 others like this.
  15. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It's surprising these engines aren't more commonly used. They can't make massive power without internal mods but in the 200-250BHP they will do 250K miles without breaking a sweat. They sound really nice and it are fairly compact.

They are cheap as chips and I'm surprised there aren't more Ford transplants as the ST/RS motors were based around a similar design.

stuvy likes this.
  16. Domdom Forum Supporter

Right car, good progress. Just add Keeley Hawes in an 80's mini skirt for the proper effect. Damn, she's hot and so is the car.

Westfield-builder and zx9 like this.
  17. taxi ray Member

Nice to see someone using a carburettor, nearly everything is injected now.
    I don't think there is anything as basic, and simple as an su carb.

stuvy likes this.
  18. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

made a wee mod to the plenum today its in effect a restriction on the turbo side it amplifys the boost reference signal to the float chamber and a bleedvalve can be added to fune tune chamber pressure
    being turboed it dosent realy make any odds to power
    it was an essential thing to get the old maestro turbo and minis to run properly
    and has cured many a problem car
    simple but effective
    the mini guys are pulling up to 286 bhp on a single su Hif 44 mines hs8 is a lot larger so i think 250 should be easy
    il fit a wastegate bypass valve to tweak boost as we progress
    the two ports can be seen at the bottom of the welded tube
    onward and upwards ! 20200615_110532.jpg 20200615_111934.jpg

• 20200615_110525.jpg
    stuvy and tom2207 like this.
  19. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

turns out i have to use the long snout 4.11diff as the original is different it means a wee bit buchery with the grinder and new supports with rubber bushes and shorten the prop all simple enough
    heres the diff its been cleaned of all the years of corrosion, they are magnesium alloy castings ! i made a new diff lock actuator bracket out some scrap ss plate easy enough just flatten the old one and use as a drill jig
    i think it will be easier to drop out the whole
    back subframe as the driveshaft allen bolts have rusted inside the heads and are just rounding out 20200619_130937.jpg

• 20200619_130928.jpg
  20. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I like "and shorten the prop, all simple enough" That, my friend is all relative. ;)

great work so far. very interesting project. Im not sure if this combination has ever been tried in the states. makes it all the more interesting to me!

JP

Advertisements