aprillia rs 50 rebuild

1. Sam

Sam Banned

Yes that was taken in 1990/91 at the TT got the best newcomer award, the class was F2.

2. stewart g Member

uk.
    gaskets

we are talking 2-stroke engines and most singles are vertical split and some do have gaskets and yes multy cylinder engines which are horizontal split dont have gaskets as a rule, did'nt make that clear on my reply,silly me.lol.:laughing:more practice at typing out answers requird.:laughing: hope all this helps in the rebuild.

3. Sam

Sam Banned

Here is a picture of a lovely little horizontal split engine.It was so easy to work on, it is an Armstrong CM36 a 350 tandem twin with disc valve as used by Nial Mckenzie and Donny Mcleod in GP racing there was also a 250 version. Very similar to the Rotax (which I think split vertically)and think Kawasaki made a tandem twin for GP'S as well.

• Armstrong.jpg
  4. wyn

wyn Member

Where does that engine originate from Sam.......is it a snowmobile or jetski type thing ?

5. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    All answers welcome and appreciated ,still waiting for a delivery from aprillia ,most bearings have been bought thru simply bearing and cost 50% less than genuine ,skf bought,,there was 1 unusual seal and 2 dificult to measure bearings so i opted to get them direct ,and am still waiting for them!only found silicone sealant at home so will wait for my return to work and see whats available there as i don't really like silcone ,too sticky when dismantling for my likeing ...thanks again Gav

6. Sam

Sam Banned

They were used in small un-piloted planes the military used them for target practice.

7. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    Are you riding or in the chair sam?

8. Sam

Sam Banned

9. Sam

Sam Banned

Prefer the couch more space!:ashamed:

I used to drive gave up now or ran out of money more like it. Was hoping to give autocross a go this year with a buggie powered using a Suzuki bandit 1200 feel the need to frighten myself again.

10. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    three bond on order......:laughing:........don't need 1200cc autograss to scare you ,drive in Wiltshire for a few days,where the council get bonus's for every new roundabout and speed hump they can install ,:whistle:

11. Sam

Sam Banned

Dont fancy that! I have to drive for 20/25mins before I see the first traffic light!;)

12. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    Just like to say a big thankyou to all who gave me advise,took nearly 3 weeks for aprillia agent to get all the parts to me ,used the threebond,all works a treat ,lad is really chuffed ,says its loads better ,like a different engine ,now pulls like it should and can keep up with his mates and out drag some newer modified peds.....:clapping:.....Gav

13. daf45

daf45 Member

well done matey - wheres all the pics then?!

14. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    i'm on at 6am ,i know i have some of the tear down ,i'll post them sat night ....:whistle:. Gav

15. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    sleep is over rated put them up now :laughing:

16. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    some pics of the strip down ,and a picture of assembled bike

• 05022009009.jpg
    • 05022009011.jpg
    • 07022009020-2.jpg
    • 2.jpg
  17. Pete.

Pete. Member

Eww looks like a lot of emulsion in that engine. Glad you got it sorted!

18. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    Thanks Pete,did you notice the shaft in the first pic......:whistle::laughing:..Gav

ps. now he wants a 19 or 21mm dellorto carb and exhaust to make it go faster ......kids:laughing:

19. Pete.

Pete. Member

I thought it was taken after you stripped-out the bearing. Had it collapsed/broken up?

20. bawjaws Member

scotland
    whats the speed like standard on that?, i was considering getting one till i checked the insurance price, 600 quid so i went for me little moped and got the insurance for 250, but it still went 60+ standard (when i first got it!)

Advertisements