(Apple) Watch protection whilst working

1. GreenBlood Member

I have an Apple Watch, quite expensive obvs but I am finding it more and more essential as time goes on. I'd like to be able to wear it while working on stuff ie welding/grinding/general knocking about in a garage.

I dont need to be able to see it, just feel it vibrate when I get a notification or call and be able to quickly access it after putting down tools etc. I probably am looking for some kind of leather/Velcro/neoprene wrist strap, but I've not seen anything marketed to do this job. Has anyone else?

Id envisage that I'd wrap it round my watch when working and it'd have a cover that can easily lifted to access it when needed.

Steve

2. James1979 Forum Supporter

The military watches from some years back had a leather cover you could lift cut down on damage and reflections i suppose. I had one from a surplus place when I was a kid and though it was really cool! I'm sure you could buy the strap and modify it, or just Nick the idea. Is there a leather worker near you?

Shox Dr and GreenBlood like this.
  3. GreenBlood Member

That's the kind of thing I am thinking of, but that can maybe Velcro over and round the watch before working. An openable cover would work well, I don't know any leather workers personally, but I know one in the states that may be interested, will pm him.
    Ta
    Steve

James1979 likes this.
  4. James1979 Forum Supporter

GreenBlood likes this.
  5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    You are probably the only person on the planet who has an Apple watch and does real work :laughing:

6. GreenBlood Member

I think that will change....they are so handy!

there are some right cool leather apple wrist straps out there, especially on Etsy. But non with a flip or Velcro watch-face cover. Someone's missing a trick!

7. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

Buy some of bigegg's Kydex thermoforming plastic and mould your own cover (used equipment for sale)

GreenBlood and Lewis_RX8 like this.
  8. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Everytime I think of Apple watches I chuckle about when Ellen Degeneres said "After all these years having get my phone out to check the time Apple have come up with something I can wear on my wrist" words to that effect :clapping::clapping:

julianthegypsy, stuvy and GreenBlood like this.
  9. hotponyshoes Member

I have been wearing samsung ones 7 days a week for a while with no protection.
    They have all got a fair old beating but have all worked for over 2yrs.
    Battery failure has been what's let them down.
    The only protection I gave them is gorilla glass, only replaced one piece once after a car fell on me.

If you are going to cover it up then it kind of defeats the point of having it.
    Why not just buy one of the cheap Chinese versions for workshop use?
    Otherwise you could get a length of wide double-sided velcro, trim it to shape and just wrap it around your wrist over the top of the watch.

WorkshopChris and James1979 like this.
  10. GreenBlood Member

11. northwest

northwest Member

Smart Watch, it's like a mobile phone but tethered to you. It's not really essential, more "very useful" but you are becoming more reactive to commands. If I may offer some advice: forget the Apple Watch, it does no more than your phone. When you are busy, ignore everything else, you will get more stuff done. Turn off the answering machine function and if it is important, they will get back to you.

You will at least have some semblance of life rather than being at the beck and call of anyone who has your contact details, you will not lose any work you will not die. You will be able to get on with whatever it is you are doing without interruption. Even just a regular watchy watch, you become a slave to it, knowing the time is not always a good thing. I stopped wearing a watch some years ago. I am never late.

Turbo, Arc Tourist, stuvy and 9 others like this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

echoes my thoughts

stuvy, slim_boy_fat and James1979 like this.
  13. northwest

northwest Member

When you are busy, you are busy, that's it. I like email, I can prioritise it and if needs be, give the person a call.

14. GreenBlood Member

Unfortunately for me, missing a call (or a certain notification) = missing income, which has a knock on of making life even more miserable.

skotl likes this.
  15. James1979 Forum Supporter

Exactly @northwest. It’s why I prefer WhatsApp and email. Often where I am is noisy, dirty etc and a phone call is a nuisance.

much easier for all doing it by email

julianthegypsy likes this.
  16. James1979 Forum Supporter

That’s a bit harsh. In terms of being so reliant on it I mean.

apple should do a workshop clock so you get your notifications but it’s on the wall out of harms way. What about an old iPad in a tough case ?

GreenBlood and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. northwest

northwest Member

No, you have convinced yourself of that. Don't worry, I had too once upon a time. It can certainly seem that way and you will definitely need some persuading, but you will soon discover that you are being pulled about by some of your contacts. Remember the golden rule: 20% of your customers create 80% of your grief. Getting rid of that 20% is the trick.

Then you can get back to having a life. I know, it's not easy right now (is it at any time?) but I prefer quality over quantity any day of the week.

18. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@northwest Totally agree with you! Nothing worse than being a busy fool @GreenBlood that isn't directly aimed at you either

stuvy, slim_boy_fat and James1979 like this.
  19. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Too much of a distraction when working, my advice is dont wear one in whe workshop

Ashley Burton, stuvy and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  20. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, What about using a wrist sweatband to keep the worst of the dust and sparks off, easily slipped up the arm to access the watch and only a couple of quid a throw. A bonus is you can wipe your sweaty brow as well.

Colin

GreenBlood and stuvy like this.
Advertisements