Any chainsaw experts on here?

1. premmington

premmington Member

My baby Stihl chainsaw has died - it has done well - 08s model 10" bar (bought new in 1993).

I have only used it for garden trimming/limbing - a bit of fire wood - and cutting lots of rough framing wood at our workshop.

Looking at buying a new saw - I want a light one with a proper 3/8 chain - every pico chainsaw I have used belonging to other people - chains did not seem up to the job.

I am torn between. ECHO CS-2511TES and the Husqvarna T525 Both avail at about £360 - £380

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am drawn to the Echo because it is 2.3kg dry weight (lightest pro saw avail Husky is 2.7kg). Both are 1.1kw.

I always said I would buy another Stihl chainsaw - but a MS200T is about £600.

I have had a Echo hedge trimmer and it did last well.

I don't need a huge saw. I would buy a battery one - but they are silly money and I don't use them very often so the batteries would not get cycled.

So what do the experts think?

:thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    When i was climbing the last top handle saw i owned was an echo. It beat the stihl and husky i had. If i bought another top handle i wouldn't hesitate.

Only bugbear was the small filling port.

Parm likes this.
  3. premmington

premmington Member

I don't actually need a "top handle" saw - I have used it up a ladder for trimming in times gone past .

But of late I bought a "silky saw" on a long pole - super tool (everybody should own one).

What I want is a little - pro saw with a 3/8 chain - I only want a short chain bar. I am not felling trees!

Can't see any DIY saw doing the 27years my Stihl did - can you?

4. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Can you fix your Stihl?

5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I wouldn't recommend a top handle saw for anything other than climbing. The word illegal is wrong but it does fly in the face of hse recommendations.

Bob

gav0994, garethp, mike os and 6 others like this.
  6. Matchless

Matchless Member

what about a corded electric, I never gave them a thought but since I bought an Aldi corded pole chainsaw and a long pole corded hedge trimmer the petrol ones have stayed hanging on the wall, very light, always ready to go and no fumes, and with modern petrol the fumes without a catalytic converter are not good for you! not saying buy an Aldi one although I have used mine for 18 months and love it, and I am as far from an expert as you can find but I do have a lot of old trees and a large inglenook fireplace to feed.

7. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

That 2511 isnt diy, a number of friends use them and love them, it is a cheaper ms150 a saw i really didnt like cheap and nasty

Husky have some real nice rear handle saws. Echo rear handles really let them down in ergonomics.

Memmeddu likes this.
  8. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Hmm try telling climbers that as they can't cut small logs one handed like a handsaw. Frightening, much rather use my rear handle husky

mike os, Memmeddu and 8ob like this.
  9. premmington

premmington Member

Can I?

No... Piston skirt let go - internal combustion engine armageddon - too much damage.

I did do a compression check on it last year and it was well done on puff.

08s is an old saw - bits are not gonna be easy to get.

It has had a good long life - time to replace.

jerrytug and Memmeddu like this.
  10. premmington

premmington Member

I know... Both the 2511 and the Husky are both pro saws.

I don't wanna be buying any cheap DIY rubbish - you can buy a petrol saw for £99 - but I want a good saw.

11. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

I see demos of these new battery cordless chainsaws and the operator just sticks on a pair of safety glasses and thats it as far as PPE goes.
    Whenver i see petrol chainsaws being used, the ussr (most of the time) is wearing full helmet with faceshield, gloves, boots, trousers etc.
    Are petrol chainsaws more dangerous than their lithium fuelled brethren ?

Matchless likes this.
  12. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Im a little lost?
    I didn't recommend a diy saw i suggested the echo was my choice from experience.

This was my cs360 took a hammering for 4 years i bought one of the first releases i was flat out commercial climbing.
    IMG_20161216_112957734.jpg

Memmeddu likes this.
  13. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Both will happily rip chunks out of you.

garethp, Parm and johnik like this.
  14. premmington

premmington Member

Cross wires here.

I agreed with you the Echo is a pro saw.

Parm and mtt.tr like this.
  15. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

“Any Chainsaw Experts On Here” ?

I’ve been near a chain saw once while it was in the back of a van, hold on let me see what google says

16. tom2207 Member

very hard to go past Tanaka ,,, these days some great battery options too , but if you dont need a top handle , i would also advise against getting one , not being funny , but if you dont know why i would say that , you really shouldnt buy one. Ive some Tanka stuff that has worked very hard , and has been outstanding I normally change my saws every couple of years , but ive a top handle now thats getting on for five.
    id still be tempted to repair what you have though ... although older sthil can be a pain to start , with no primer and the odd choke set up , but you do get used to them.

17. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

Nope,

Doesn’t matter how the chain is powered. They all attack you the same

Westfield-builder and jenki like this.
  18. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
  19. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

You are right Tom you cant ignore the battery/leccy offerings, for the occasional user they make perfect sense. The later models are very good.

Bob

tom2207 likes this.
  20. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Only know tanaka from the cheap top handles and what then looked like echo clones

Advertisements