Am I getting to old to mig weld

1. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    To stop back light I made a top cover for my welding helmet 10 x 12 "out of 2 mm black polyethene , it's pop riveted from the inside of the mask and has a steel washers on the rivet bodies to stop the rivets pulling through .. riveted in three places about 1/2 " from the back edge at the top of my head . About four inches from the front of the cover I warmed it up and bent it to about 30 degrees so it goes over my bump of knowledge . It stops any light getting in past my head or ears , allows me to breath easily with a face.dust mask on and makes me look a bit like a crested grebe .

I too have taken to flooding the welding area with a 30 watt led flood light from about 18 " away I also wear a pair of reading or computer use glasses .. it makes a tremendous difference as my eyes each need different strength optics .
    As i got older & type two diabetes got to work on me I have to have new glasses every four years , using the 12 pairs of old ones in the mancupboard & 3D printer room . Have to carefully bend the arms for a tighter fit than normal so I can lean over to look at my toes with the glasses stay put on my head .

stuvy likes this.
  2. duncans

duncans Member

hi DARPH I've got type 2 as well squirt that fluid in my eyes that sting like billio and pictures took they can find all types of things that can be up with you when they look at the pictures I've been fine these past 3 or 4 times I've had to go and agree the 30 watt led lights make a huge difference

3. metalmelt Member

Yes Tom, we have private medical insurance at work and every year is a full MOT for all employees, but I understand where you are coming from.

tom2207 likes this.
  4. metalmelt Member

Like it Slim, a simple and practical solution which works for you.

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Thanks. :thumbup: Aha, amazing what the search function'll store for future reference, certainly for longer than we will.......:ashamed:

[​IMG]

I'll see if I can get the right search words to find the bench-top one.

duncans and Dcal like this.
  6. duncans

duncans Member

is that you helmet slim_boy_fat

7. falconho New Member

Some of those trucks you see on the motorway now with all those lights on the front, that would be perfect on a welding helmet for us lesser sighted people if only they did one lol

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. duncans

duncans Member

hahaaa you would look a rite prat hahaaaa

9. slim_boy_fat

Now my 'spare' since I fell for one of the TruColour ones, as recommended by some on here. :thumbup:

10. duncans

duncans Member

I bet it gives a great light doesn't it you will look like a surgeon in a theatre

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

Certainly did, not tried TIG for ages. - and if I need better light, e.g at the mill, I tend to use the bench-top one I made from a cyclists 3 x power LED job. [Found the pics of it too.....:ashamed:]

IMG_20190326_101942.jpg

IMG_20190326_121415.jpg

12. duncans

duncans Member

yeah I just ordered one of these today from tool station got pick it up 2 morra as was not in stock that should give a good light where I Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 20.44.05.png need it in shed those fluorescent tubes are *****

13. Robert Mullins Member

Clean lenses: I am a stickler for new cover lenses/plates: do not try to clean the clear plastic lense, bin it and fit new: I don't know how the arc emissions, fume, light, damage the cover plate, but they do, even if you wash them off with soapy water, leave them or pat them dry so as not to scratch them, and the surface looks undamaged, I STILL can't see well enough to weld, fit new, and no problems, vision is restored:
    This damage is restricted to the outer cover plate, the actual welding lense, and the plastic inner lenses you can wipe/brush clean with no adverse affect

Dcal likes this.
  14. Ed. Member

I am 66 and I use my reader glasses as well as a cheater lens in the helmet. Seems to work OK for me so far, I will probably have to have cataract surgery next year so that will most likely improve my vision as well, but an extra light makes it better still, so I have a 400watt HID lamp above my bench, although my hands shake more when welding now that I am older so not much I can do about that. As Robert said in the above post , new lenses make a huge difference too.

metalmelt and Dcal like this.
  15. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Got to agree about the clean lenses.
    That was what I was getting at in my earlier post.

The best helmet in the world will be ruined by old scratched cloudy lenses and a cheap one with everything pristine will work far better. It's not comparing like for like but you know what I mean.

I've a miller infinity helmet and it brilliant when everything is fresh.
    It doesn’t take standard lens covers but even I don’t begrudge £2.50 for a new lens cover once a month and a new inner every other for the amount of welding I do.
    A real issue with this particular helmet is the front cover doesn’t seal so after a lot of welding (especially arc) there is a layer of dust over the sensor. Not a big issue but it does need cleaned quite often and does make a big difference.
    I have tried cleaning and polishing the covers but nothing beats a new OEM one.

metalmelt and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

Having had both eyes done, you'll not believe the difference! :thumbup:

duncans and Dcal like this.
  17. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    I've been using the same protective screens on my 3M hat for a decade! Cleaned every so often - mean, they look clear, so . . .

So . . . this evening, after reading the posts on here, I fitted one of the new spare lenses I've had for the same decade . . . F**kin' 'ell (as they say) I can see what I'm welding! I mean, I could sort of see what I was welding before, but flippin' 'eck, I really can now! I would not have believe the difference!

metalmelt, slim_boy_fat and Dcal like this.
  18. MBB Forum Supporter

Many years ago It was diagnosed that I had a lazy eye, unfortunately it has now spread to the rest of me.

Advertisements