Am I getting to old to mig weld

1. JEZGUZ

JEZGUZ Member

West Midlands UK
    I agree with the comments about glasses, a good light will make things easier too.

2. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Optrel Crystal
    Different world
    Not cheap but amazing

duncans, indy4x and ronan like this.
  3. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I find light is half the battle when the peepers start to deteriorate, no matter what you are doing. Doing a bit of brush painting earlier, just red oxide primer on a casting, but couldn't see where i had painted and where i hadn't (second coat). I had to go get a better light, an led inspection light and it made all the difference.

slim_boy_fat, Dcal and stuvy like this.
  4. metalmelt Member

Jeez, is this an advert for Specsavers?

Over 60 and never had or needed glasses.

fenman likes this.
  5. premmington

premmington Member

53 - cheater lens in a speedglass helmet.

Gave up on alloy now - just can't see the weld pool.

6. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Same here but still use a cheater, cant always get that close on positional s with plant and machinery, cheaters bring everything closer/magnified which I find useful.

Bob

metalmelt and indy4x like this.
  7. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

From what I've heard this morning - there's just been another year added on.

CJ

DAPPH likes this.
  8. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I prefer glasses over the cheater lens, Ive found the cheater lens quite poor from a visual perspective, then bith Ive tried have been ebay jobs, not sure if other brands are better quality.

I have a few pairs of garage glasses for different distances. Pain getting old

fixerupper likes this.
  9. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Nooooo, saw the news article, I'm in the retire at 67 band ATM, looks like it's now gonna be 68 :(

Have the Optrel VegaView, what a revelation that was, still have to have a cheater lense and readers when welding but way better than my previous welding masks

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

73. Had laser eye surgery about 9 years ago (to dispense with 2 X pairs of glasses) and it was a revelation. I was told then that I would eventually need specs for reading and it is only now becoming necessary in certain conditions.

@falconho Welcome to the forum, there's a pic I posted ages ago of an LED torch I velcro'd to the top of my helmet ' it helped a lot when I tried TIG. I've since made a 'stand- alone' one for close work on the lathe and mill, there are a couple of pics of that more recently too.

metalmelt, skotl and stuvy like this.
  11. tom2207 Member

have you had an eye test though ,,, many folk will say that , till they put on a pair of glasses , the majority of folk over 50 will benefit from wearing glasses , or so Im told , I just make them.

DAPPH, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  12. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    76, I have two boot fair angle poise type lamps with very bright LED bulbs, a long reach one fixed to the bench that swings over the vise, and a smaller free standing one for awkward positions.

The springs need shortening to compensate for the extra bulb weight, I have them really close to the work, beside my head, best thing about LED bulbs is that weld spatter doesn't make them go pop!

I've replaced one fluorescent tube with an LED one, the other two are fading. I just bought one of these for the bathroom, it's really bright and weighs nothing, so I'm about to get a couple more for the workshop instead of tubes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XW84ZFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

My father couldn't see to weld with my esab origo but with my new esab a40 he has no problems and needs glasses for close up. Its nice and clear, not like the old green ones.
    They aren't expensive. £70-80 should buy one.
    The difference is unbelievable.

tom2207 likes this.
  14. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

Yet :whistle:

tom2207 likes this.
  15. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

When I worked I paid extra contributions to increase my state pension. When I checked about 10 years ago, I was due about £195 per week. Since then they have changed the goal posts and I will now get roughly £175. You cannot trust them.
    Good job I started a private pension when I was 24.

tom2207 likes this.
  16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

True colour mask and a very good lamp....the other top tip is to take the plastic sticker off the lense...well I didn't know!

indy4x and northwest like this.
  17. duncans

duncans Member

geez im 62 and be 63 this month your never to old get a decent helmet then you should see the pool quite easy i think yes put a light near your weld makes a big difference it does

18. duncans

duncans Member

yeah I've got the A50sentiel what a difference it made from an old parweld I borrowed I couldn't see bugger all through that helmet

19. MBB Forum Supporter

Coming up to 80 my welds are the same as when I was 40. (terrrible)

20. tom2207 Member

Look on it as more like ,,, consistent .

indy4x, DAPPH, MBB and 1 other person like this.
Advertisements