Air regulators - cheap or branded?

1. julianf

julianf Member

I need a regulator for air tools. I have a 3 stage setup for air fed, but i dont want to whack loads of rubbish though those filters, and its easier to buy another regulator than mess about teeing off.

So, do i buy a cheapo, or a branded. Is there really any difference?

Eg -

https://www.toolstation.com/air-filter-regulator/p26616

or, for double the money -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metalwor...903314?hash=item1a29a62252:g:dGMAAOSw4CFY7cEu

Or, if you want to go to china, pocket change -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Air-...913201?hash=item44341a45f1:g:jgIAAOSwO2lbdWY4

Tools will be things like, DA sander, rivet gun, mastic gun, etc.

Thank you.

2. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Norgren regulators can be had on eBay for not too much money. I have one and It's definitely efficient at collecting water, how much better is it than a cheapo? Who knows, but it's sat pressurised 24/7 for around 7 years now.

Also have one of those ultra cheap efforts you linked to, I use it with a 1 bar gauge to test turbo boost pipework for leaks and turbo Wastegate actuators, for the money it's fine, but it definitely reminds me of the ones that come with small direct drive compressors...

3. optima21 Forum Supporter

dont go with the cheapo ones as they are very restrictive to airflow, I tried one with a lvlp pressure spraygun and it wasn't able to deliver 30psi of pressure to the gun due to the volume of air that was required which should be about 6cfm. with a DA sander you'll be using alot more than that.

the snooper likes this.
  4. premmington

premmington Member

+1 for Norgren regulators can be hunted down off eBay at real sensible money compared with new retail prices.

I have had a set of Norgren regulator/water trap/oiler for about 30 years to run power tools. It works as good as new - plus I am using it - in our workshop daily.

5. 123hotchef Member

not sure if it is the fault of the reg or the inlet and outlet ports, 1/4 could be too restrictive for air thirsty tools the next size up on the ports may work better, that said I use the cheap toolsttion reg in the link for my air tools and keep the 3 stage for painting

6. optima21 Forum Supporter

the port size isn't the issue, its the valve within the regulator that is connected to the diaphragm. here is a similar one in pieces

DSC01768.JPG

the white part in the photo below, its 2.4mm diameter, and all the air has to flow through that and the right angled bends in the regulators don't help air flow through them either.

DSC01769.JPG

I did have a look into flow rates through regulators a while ago on this thread.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...e-ditching-cheap-regulator.72826/#post-992904

the clarke regulator I ended up using does have a small air leak as the body of it flexes but its not enough to worry about.

7. julianf

julianf Member

Thanks to all.

Re Norgren -

It looks as if I'm looking at about £20 plus maybe 8 ish post off eBay for a used unit (ie best part of £30) whilst the metalworks / devilbis unit in my initial post is about £40 with none of the risk of buying used.

Shouldn't I just go for the new metalwork s unit then? I mean that's going to be the equal of a norgren, right?

8. Andzejus1981

Andzejus1981 Member

I heard a lot of good reviews about Norgren stuff so Im wondering is this brand will make any different quality of air supply comparing with mine cheap ebay (£15) unknown brand filter? If yes so what sort of price we talking for Norgren Olympian Plus Filter + Regulator + Lubricator and Isolator?

Advertisements