Is nearly empty will enquire when I go to get it filled
    It is light. Weight though for full size bottle ideal for us oldies
    Only live 4miles from head office
    Has standard reg thread

Hood likes this.
  2. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    That was quick!! Got my cylinder last Friday, posted off the coupon on Monday 1st class, money in my account today! Great service from SGS :thumbup:

Ashley Burton likes this.
  3. striker Member

middlesbrough
    Yeah got my £20 refund today too!

Nick DV likes this.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I think they do the refunds in batches if I correctly remember my conversation with Alan

Nick DV likes this.
  5. metalmelt Member

Quite simple really, domestic use and market share. Many properties which are rented do not allow high pressure cylinders and many actually banned all gas cylinders from their properties and this was challenged in court as many people had motorhomes or caravans, gas barbeques and even gas powered camping lanterns and domestic blow torches, just before it went to court several councils relented and set a precedent by action and allowed gas cylinders, many followed a set pressure cap and welding gas suppliers adapted and supplied gases just below this pressure. Many put maximum cylinder sizes also as they were allegedly trying to prevent large industrial cylinders being used in domestic homes; it was also claimed (allegedly) by large industrial gas suppliers that many of their bottles were being stolen to order and being sold to private users, hence the chipping of bottles.

6. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

Can you link to the cases, legal stuff etc. This has perked my attention and I'm interested to find out more. Many many folk have gas cylinders at home

daleyd likes this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I thought the 139 bar ones were ex co2 cylinders, so a lower pressure. The ones I’ve seen have had some of their original markings stamped out & illegible.

8. metalmelt Member

Not really Parm as the case was submitted to the High Court and accepted for a hearing, but dropped before it got there so High Court records may show it, I know locally the council had to tear up many tenancy agreements and remove these clauses from council house tenants and I did actually see some of them as a previous employer had many employees from a nearby council estate and it was the talk of the premises for several weeks.

These contracts were rewritten with a clause restricting maximum bottle pressures to 175 bar with a maximum volume of 15 litres water capacity.

I am also aware that another employee living in a housing association property also had the clauses removed from his contract and his stated that this was inline with recent council amendments but his were limited to 175 bar with a water capacity of 20 litres.

9. daleyd

daleyd Member

I'm calling BS on this one...

• Why would a gas supplier limit their pressures to comply with what is likely to be a small percentage of their customer base (How many council tenants would be using welding gas, and what percentage of those would even bother to check before they went out and got a bottle).
    • I've just checked my local council tenancy agreement, the only clause is that you can't have flammable gas above a certain size, unless for medical purpose.
    • Surely a gas supplier pressure is going to be governed by the cylinders safe working pressure and the equipment they use to charge those cylinders? BOC, SGS etc etc all provide cylinders over 175 bar so I'm not even sure where this fits in with that??

premmington and Ashley Burton like this.
Advertisements