A few random stainless jobs

1. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I often make small parts up that may be of interest to members, but are not really worth making a new thread for, so I'll stick a few in here from time to time

A couple of small recent jobs,
    Antenna brackets to fit on the roof bars of the new landrover, drop in a slot in the roofbar and slide along then just nip them up.
    1.jpg

2.jpg

Next, a couple of table legs for seating booths in a works canteen, one end of the table is fixed to the wall, and supported at the other end by one of these,
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. Psymon

Psymon Member

Essex - UK
    Are these laser/plasma/water cut? Also what tools do you use to get the flat plate and post perfectly vertical. I have some SS which I want to make into a post but I know getting the cuts perfect and then putting them together will make them lean...

3. Paul.

The antenna brackets are cut and shaped entirely by hand, and drilled with a hole saw,
    The 5mm plates for the leg brackets I had laser cut, the fabrication is just old fashioned use of a square and a bit of care, notice how the tube comes through the plates, that makes it easier to fab up too,
    The top plate did bow a bit when welded but a couple of clamps and a packer on the bench soon sorts that.

4. Psymon

Psymon Member

Essex - UK
    Ok very helpful, thanks Paul.

5. Paul.

A couple more
    Brackets to hang a polycarbonate panel over the top of a large notice board, again shaped by hand.
    20150126_115343 (Large).jpg

A bottle drainer for a small brewery, not much stainless on this one, just the legs
    Top is polyethylene.
    20141114_152050 (Large).jpg

Some stainless mesh guards to protect some rather expensive bulkhead lights, eleven of these a nice little bench job
    20150302_141053 (Large).jpg
    20150302_141205 (Large).jpg

Barlidge, Bsmith, Psymon and 3 others like this.
  6. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

if you have trouble with straight cuts aslong as they are not hugely out you can always put a good tack on it then using a square get it straight and weld up

Psymon and Maker like this.
  7. blenkie1

blenkie1 Member

Think if I was doing them brackets everyone would look different. Great work. Is most of your work stainless?

8. Istayinalot

Istayinalot Member

Very nice work, must be tricky to get everything so consistent.

9. Kent

Kent Member

Tidy looking stuff.

10. Gavin_d

Gavin_d Member

Awesome stuff Paul.

11. Paul.

A couple of sets of stainless brackets, part of the ladder gantry on a fire engine. I make quite a few of these in different styles to replace the rubbish aluminium ones fitted by the vehicle builders. 20150427_114158 (Large).jpg

12. Psymon

Psymon Member

Essex - UK
    Paul you are an inspiration to all. Beautiful work - I hope you emptied the beer bottle :)

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

As with everything you post up Paul. Looks really great work.

14. JDJones Member

Hello tig paul
    I have been looking at pictures of your work for some time now,always first class, Do you tig aluminium as well, I ca'nt recall any aluminium welding, I would be interested to know.
    All the Best desmo11225

15. Paul.

classic
    Yes I do a fair bit of ally, there are a few bits scattered around the forum,
    Some of what i do is for a particular customer and best kept off the forum as his customers will then know who really holds the torch

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  16. Kent

Kent Member

:laughing: I think a lot of this goes on and always has;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  17. Psymon

Psymon Member

Essex - UK
    I used to hold a torch for a girl local to me. :hug:

julianthegypsy, bigegg and oddbob like this.
  18. Paul.

Little job finished off today, its a trolley to make a platform scale mobile, material is 100 x 50 3 and 50 x 50 x 3 box section, the scale is 130 deep and needs to be level with the top of the frame so there is a 30mm box section fame underneath to get the depth,
    1.jpg

The scale has rubber feet so some simple location brackets will keep it in place
    2.jpg

The scale fitted, without and then with the stainless platform on.
    3.jpg 4.jpg

The handle is fabricated from 1" stainless tube and pre formed bends then its all polished out, there are five separate pieces to it, can you spot the joins.
    5.jpg

A swivel bracket for the head completes the job, a couple of polyethylene plates drilled to be a tight fit on the tube keep it together and provide a bearing surface
    6.jpg

Miggy89, Bsmith, ronan and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Neat...
    Does the table take those plastic euro trays?

I made a new top for one not that long ago, had to extend over the sides, with a good clearance on the frame.
    The production staff sometimes didn't put the trays on it central, and so would get false readings from the frame taking an amount of the weight.

20. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

As usual Paul, A true master class in stainless tig welding, The rest of us just live and hope.

Advertisements