7018 vertical up

1. Robert.

Robert. Member

Now try some actual welds , root , and two . Like what I have done . Then stick em on the ground and batter them with a sledge hammer or whatever stressing facilities you have available . That will tell you more than anything I can say .

tom2207 likes this.
  2. Robert.

Robert. Member

I don't do structural welding , I have always flat refused to be welding beams together all day , I couldn't cope with the boredom . All I need is an effing strong weld .In all honesty that's the first proper weld I have done in ages , apart from the code test and that little example on the angle iron , and I was alone for that , I ended up with an audience this morning ....

" what are you doing skipper ? "

" Don't ask , it's embarrassing"

" You ain't lost it old fella that looks sound "

" Eff off you cheeky little c@#ts "

And then they followed me to the press ... no pressure there ..(pun)...if that had broke I would never have heard the last of it
    :laughing::laughing:

tom2207 and Richiew like this.
  3. tom2207 Member

In the land of the blind ....

The one eyed man is king ..:thumbup:

4. Robert.

Robert. Member

No it's ..just a touch of arc eye ;)

5. abcdef12345 Member

Rod angle is correct here? Or near ninety degree?

6. Robert.

Robert. Member

Yes that's about right , put a bend in the rod to make it more comfortable , make yourself comfortable , have something to lean on if you can . Good welds happen easiest when you're comfortable . Don't rush with vertical up , it's getting that pace correct I think is the key . One ofthe reasons I suggest dropping your Amps a bit is so you can slow down and feel more what's happening . Once you get the feel of welding uphill you can adjust your Amps to whatever suits on the day , be it a cold day on cold steel with water running down it , or a preheated part in perfect working conditions , you will be able to tell what you need ..

7. abcdef12345 Member

But 90 degree is also correct like this in t-joint and groove weld?

8. Robert.

Robert. Member

You should always have an angle on the electrode during all positions . It varies a little from position to position ,35 to 45 is a rough operating angle range .

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. abcdef12345 Member

Good?

• WP_20200808_004.jpg
    Memmeddu likes this.
  10. Robert.

Robert. Member

That looks pretty good , I think you have the basics sorted . Proof comes after letting it cool down then try and break it .

Memmeddu likes this.
  11. abcdef12345 Member

And first in my life overhead position t-joint.

• comment_1597047497FbcFjp64FJwFJNezAUtKkx.jpg
    Memmeddu and Robert. like this.
  12. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

Looking good. :thumbup:

Memmeddu likes this.
  13. abcdef12345 Member

For position 1G open root electrode esab eb 150 2,5 mm will be good? Polarity positive or negative? What set amps?

14. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I'm just an hobbyist but I usually run 7018 at the same current settings for every single position , maybe just little bit of fine adjustment to avoid undercut .
    My settings
    3/32 or 2.5mm always at 90A
    1/8 or 3.2mm 125A on flat ,120 for overhead 115 for vertical but those 10 Amps aren't so important TBH
    7018 is just forgiving , nothing easier to use out of position ,well maybe 6010 is better but it's not cheap as 7018:ashamed:

Mark 2 likes this.
Advertisements