7018 vertical up

1. abcdef12345 Member

First try vertical up 7018. Some tips?

Electrode 2,5, i used about 80-85 amps.

• WP_20200806_003.jpg
    • WP_20200806_006.jpg
  2. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

A promising start. :thumbup: A bit hard to tell from your photos, but that looks like a T piece you're working with? If so, make the first (root) run without weaving the rod - that looks like a bit of undercut top-left of the second photo which suggests a rushed weave. Try keeping the rod more stable by resting it on the top side of the index finger around two inches plus away from the weld and slide the rod forward over the glove as it burns down. I always found that pointing the rod up (holder downward) about 5 degrees from the horizontal gave pretty good results. When you come to practising weaves, just pause briefly at the outside edge of the weld pool before travelling back in the opposite direction - this should reduce the risk of undercut.

3. Robert.

Robert. Member

I would cut the amps back a bit if only using 2.5 rods . 80 - 85 is a bit strong .. I would be down around the 70-75 mark and move a bit slower .

4. Robert.

Robert. Member

15967160509544894070979915671709.jpg

First , second , third and weave as a rough quick example . 2.5 Esab 7018 running at 73 amps .

Didn't clean properly or anything just slapped it on , but it's a functional example , showpiece it is not haha

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Arc length too long in both photos.

Memmeddu, metalmelt and tom2207 like this.
  6. abcdef12345 Member

70-75 amps is not too cold?

Memmeddu likes this.
  7. Robert.

Robert. Member

Always do my vertical up code welds using 3.2 7018 at 105 amps , so working back down to 2.5 I would say that was about right . Machine to machine there is maybe a difference in what amps say and what amps you get , but on mine that worked fine .

metalmelt likes this.
  8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Woah, woah slow down there.

75A for a 3/32” might just about work, but 105A for a 1/8” 7018 vertical up, that’s just way too cold.

9. abcdef12345 Member

But for plate 10 millimeters set amp above 85 amp?

10. Robert.

Robert. Member

Got a code pass many times with it ..have the certificate . Overhead at 116 amps , vertical up at 105 amps . Never had a fail at those .

11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You could qualify a vertical down weld with no penetration if you wished.

A coding is only as good as the procedure and that’s only as good as the person who wrote it.

Memmeddu, HughF, metalmelt and 2 others like this.
  12. tom2207 Member

There are many welding standards ,,, BS 5135D springs to mind ,,, from memory ,, nuf said.

metalmelt likes this.
  13. Robert.

Robert. Member

Well I have that 9606 one ...works for my needs .

14. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I'd feel more confident with 115A really, but I've cut an etched at sub 100A with sufficient penetration. Mind you different electrodes perform different ive been using alot of conarc 49c lately and they do enjoy a little more juice than most.

davidjohnperry and Robert. like this.
  15. Robert.

Robert. Member

I have always felt speed and arc length matter more than amps . 105 amps on my machine is hot enough to give a steady run with no drop and ample penetration with an esab 7018 . It passed visual and macro testing . And they hold stuff together , that's out there smashing up concrete and other steel . Near every weld I do gets tested to total destruction , usually it ain't the weld that breaks , they snap a turning joint or bend the whole assembly ,my weld stays unmovable . I really don't mind having a weld tested by anyone ,I know mine hold ....mine get tested and tested far beyond reasonable constantly .

Munkul likes this.
  16. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

105 amps with enough arc force is the same as 130 amps on some other machines...

Who's to say it's too cold if it passes a code test? If it's a WPS to 15614 then you need proper penetration on the qualifying weld, and it should be a UT/rad test for the weldor to 9606 which should pick up any major flaws.

Robert. likes this.
  17. Robert.

Robert. Member

Like that would satisfy ?

• sketch-1596786297279.png
  18. Robert.

Robert. Member

And because I have the facilities....
    DSC_0102.JPG DSC_0103.JPG DSC_0104.JPG DSC_0105.JPG DSC_0107.JPG
    And that's good enough for me .

Shedendman, tom2207, Richiew and 3 others like this.
  19. abcdef12345 Member

Better?

• WP_20200807_003.jpg
    Memmeddu likes this.
  20. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Yeah, my point was that even a 9606 weldor qualification requires a good solid weld to pass a UT test, and the WPS certification (15614) requires an even higher standard of weld. A pass is a pass :) It's the WPS you want to see though, it gives you max and min amps acceptable.

Robert. likes this.
Advertisements