4 poster bed frame

1. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    Working from this design (although since changed the box section sizes) I'm trying to build this...
    Bed-1024x785.png
    Legs will be 50x50x1.5 ERW
    Other parts 20x40x2 ERW
    Steel delivered
    20200602_134711(0).jpg
    And cut
    20200604_170417.jpg
    And the foot end made.
    20200604_101848.jpg
    Unfortunately this doesn't fit up the stairs. There's an awkward corner at the bottom that it won't quite go round.

So now I've cut it up again and need a new plan. I don't want any visible fasteners and I'm not sure how I'm going to do this without comprising rigidity and also keep fasteners invisible. My original plan is out the window.

2. tom2207 Member

put spuds on the posts , drill right through the rails on one side and all of the spud then tap the holes , bolt them through from the inside out .
    do all the rails that way , and then your really only moving a skinny xmas tree , and if the worst came to it , that could go through the window ,,, have you checked the over all height ?

3. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    That's a possibility. I'm concerned with rigidity with that plan though. Overall height is fine. Approximately 20cm clearance when it's in the room.

4. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

The rails are 40mm deep. Plenty of space for 2 off 8mm bolts 15mm or so apart - should provide sufficient rigidity surely? That was pretty much what old steel bedframes were like in my youth. If you are still worried make the 'spuds' longer and fit 4 off 8 mm bolts and that definitely won't shift!

I would be inclined to weld nuts on the 'spuds' rather than just tapping relatively thin metal.

Or have I completely misunderstood the plan?

tom2207 and barking mat like this.
  5. tom2207 Member

that would do as well ,,,, or make the spuds out of something decent ,,,, either way you get the gist of the idea ,, unless you are planning on some serious Bedroom Olympics ,, If thats the case then fit a couple of rigging eyes underneath and you can pre tension with some ratchet straps , or chains and adjusters ,,, but spuds will be grand id probably make them to suit the steel box , out of say 6mm or 8 mm plate ,, but i do tend to over engineer such things ,,, then again , I dont go back to fix things either .

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

We did a similar bed a couple of years ago. I recall a couple of different fixing styles. Wouldn't worry about rigidity, the design will take care of that.

7. anjum Member

I made one once for an event.....used carpet roll centre tubes, string and gaffer tape! Was actually quite strong.
    No potatoes were harmed during manufacture....

monky harris, Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

'Spuds' - define spuds

9. tom2207 Member

spud.png

jimbo84 likes this.
  10. tom2207 Member

just a quick rough spud ,,, weld a nut on the inside to catch a bolt thread , or make it out of something thicker , some plate made to suit the box , and put the bolts into the spuds fro the inside , no fixings visible

Mark 2 likes this.
  11. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Got ya
    The other useful one is the 'Tobruk shoulder'
    _20200605_103115.JPG

jsf55, slim_boy_fat, rtcosic and 2 others like this.
  12. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Just learned a new term for something I've used before.

Make the outer hole large enough for a socket to fit through and add a sealing grommet afterwards for a neat and smooth effect.

James1979 and Mark 2 like this.
  13. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

TBH I made the name up but I'll tell you a funny thing.
    On a job once (railings) and we had to invent ourselves out of a measuring mistake. So my mate decided we needed to name it because if you have to explain it away, giving something a title kind of legitimises it.
    The afternoon just flew by with all the suggestions.

Spuds - sounds like a bodge

14. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Make a "feature" of the fixings, eyebolts for the shackles and ropes?

Dave H. (the other one)

jsf55, Parm and Westfield-builder like this.
  15. tom2207 Member

its a fairly well recognised term in civil's , and in the pipe world too , gas pipe line welders use the term for weld fitments , usually slang for nodes and nozzles.

16. tom2207 Member

op wanted non of the fittings to show ,, hence tapping and fitting retainers from the in side.

17. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    Yeah. I'm liking the spuds idea (with some added hidden brackets to increase rigidity) however having snapped a bandsaw blade and discovered my spare one is about an inch too short I can't make them today. Or before Monday for that matter.

18. tom2207 Member

weld the old one back together

19. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    I tried that. It didn't go brilliantly and now it keeps jumping off the pulleys. I'm having one of those days (weeks actually) where nothing goes to plan. I'm not trying to fix it again because I can't be bothered with it going wrong again.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

I was making a presentation at board level and was asked a question I hadn't prepared for - an unusual occurrence in my case. I had built up a reputation for being well prepared so had a lot of 'credibility capital'.

I gave an answer prefaced by ' Making a SWAG, I'd put the cost in the order of....'

The board approved the investment of course. After the meeting I was approached by 'my' director who asked rather sheepishly what this English acronym SWAG meant. I had to admit to a Seriously Wild Arsed Guess.

Anyone heard the story of BMW and CHAV lights?

Edit: I have long forgotten where I learned the term SWAG and claimed it for my own use - along with JFDI, which I'm sure you all know.

Windy Miller, tom2207 and Mark 2 like this.
Advertisements