25 year old Alfa 75 back from the brink (hopefully)

1. Dcal Member

Bit of a diversion, no welding but a bit of heat required.

Started on the upper wishbone

As removed from the car with the ball joint removed
    IMG_2131.JPG

After blasting but siting about for a while

IMG_2149.JPG

Removing swivel arm and bush

IMG_2157.JPG

And then trying to remove bearing

IMG_2164.JPG

Not playing ball

IMG_2168.JPG

So a bit of heat and persuasion required

IMG_2170.JPG

And finality got it off

IMG_2171.JPG

Assembly was a lot easier, then another blast and a few coats of epoxy primer

IMG_3263.JPG
    And two pack top coat

IMG_3270.JPG

2. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    nice work...parts look good!

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Dcal Member

Passenger side next
    Pretty much the same as the drivers side so no point in putting you all through the detail so just a few before, during and after photos -

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG

Only real difference is i used Sherwin Williams epoxy on the P/S instead of the Jotan 87 I used in the D/S.
    Only time will tell which works best
    The front isn't painted as the front panel needs work

In fairness this side was probably worse, but turned out better.

I was quite pleased with the tiny repair on a punched hole that probably wasn't needed!
    IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    more great work...those welds look really tidy. well done

JP

5. Dcal Member

Thanks JP,
    I welded this with a transformer mig and I really struggle getting consistent welds, some time its fine and other times it just eats the edges away, on the same settings and steel thickness. (all the welds are butts)

I've just bought an inverter based multi function machine from Hood (Rtech MTS 255S)
    I haven' t properly got to grips with it yet but it has a few features which should help.
    I'll see how I get on with it, I'm nowhere near to running out of Alfa tin-worm to practice on.

jpmillermatic and indy4x like this.
  6. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I hear you regarding the tinworm. I like your looking at it as an opportunity!

JP

7. Dcal Member

Hi JP, if I didn't look on the bright side not sure I would start.

The sills had a "bit" of rot at the jacking points, the front inner sill were fine and just needed a small patch about 6 by 4 inches.
    This should be quick and easy.

The area in question on the PS before I started, the DS was pretty similar. Note the previous repair!

IMG_3136.JPG

One point of interest (to me anyway) is there is a pressing in the sill close to the jacking point. This doesn't line up with the jacking point so whats going on? Checked the other side and that's the same. Checked the back but their too far gone to be any use for reference. I seem to remember from 30 years ago, my mothers Fiat 850 had a similar pressing which was for the jack. This car didn't come with an original jack so that didn't help. I could be totally wrong and it would have been easy to forget about it but decided to try and replicate it.

For a former I used a bit of 25mm scrap and some 20mm flat bar. Half an hour with a 5inch and die grinder and ended up with this

IMG_3141.JPG

But not a great fit, need to grind more steel away or -

IMG_3143.JPG

Instead built it up with a few runs

IMG_3144.JPG

And after a bit more grinding I ended up with this

IMG_3150.JPG

Which is a reasonable fit.

IMG_3153.JPG

Shaped a bit of 0.8mm steel and tacked to the former. Then tapped it to shape with a small ball-peen hammer to get the finished patch.

IMG_3161.JPG

Blast and a bit of weld through zinc primer

IMG_3187.JPG

fit up and weld in place- with a bit of copper to help with alignment and welding

IMG_3198.JPG

Then make and fit other patch to finish - Excuse the ropy welding

IMG_3217.JPG

I could have gone to a lot of bother to replicate a dinge that might have been made by the careless placement of a trolley jack!

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Nice work on the template...I imagine you might be able to start turning out repair panels for sale with that bit of kit.

Like the approach of using whatever you have....at the end of the day all people see is the finished repair....doesn't matter if you use a frying pan from the kitchen as a template!!

Great attention to detail as usual...well done.

jpmillermatic likes this.
  9. Dcal Member

Started work on the front panel
    IMG_1918.JPG

Biggest issue was a bodge repair on the lower radiator support panel meant I had very little to work on
    IMG_1924.JPG
    Stripped out the front panel

Did a search on the internet,
    best info I got was from the workshop manual, which gave frame dimensions
    IMG_2998.JPG

Used that and the line drawings to make a new radiator support panel
    Punched a few holes for the radiator mounts

IMG_3003.JPG

Then made and fitted a couple of strengthening brackets
    IMG_3006.JPG
    The front panel had next to no paint on it (especially the rear)

IMG_3059.JPG

Gave it a blast to see what I had to work with IMG_3067.JPG

A few patches and see how it fits

IMG_3228.JPG

Which gives me something to go on to repair the nasty hole in the inner guard

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

Turned out OK, I think
    IMG_3285.JPG

10. Your work is an inspiration mate.......amazing. My dad has a P1800s Volvo to restore and he is always pouring over DVDs of Peach and Tommassini and Ron Covell and these guys make complete panels from single sheets of metal through wheeling and dollying or making hardwood bucks and all from paper templates. I am blown away by the talent of these guys. Have a look fella. I'm sure you'd find it interesting.

Sprocket Hole and jpmillermatic like this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Dcal - amazing work....like what you did there....very methodical and precise.

Exuptoy...P1800 is my favourite car of all time...I was very tempted by a red one listed on ebay this week but it hit £13k and I just couldn't justify it.

Exuptoy and jpmillermatic like this.
  12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    man, that is nice work!....very inspirational....keep at it!

JP

Exuptoy likes this.
  13. Dad paid a couple of grand I think but it's bad.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  14. Dcal Member

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement lads, certainly need it at times.

Exuptoy, I think I like 80 and 90 Italian cars because they look like you would only need a folder to make panels. Never is that simple though.
    I really struggle with curves. I have just finished repairing a rear arch which was a real pain.

I also marvel at the work real Craftsmen produce. (Should that be Crafts-persons?) I will certainly check out the guys you mention, thanks for the heads up.

I would love to go on a course with someone who has the kit and knows what they are doing.
    Anyone know of a good one?

I made a foot operated stand for a a shrinker / stretcher which made it really usable, next job is to make a deep throat one which would make it even better. I could just buy one but wheres the fun in that.
    I'm also in the process of beefing up and converting a cheap bead roller to power feed which should make it into another great tool. (Got the motor and drive on here)
    I used it to set the relief in the radiator support panel and the difference in time it took in comparison to making a form and hand beating it was remarkable.
    Another home made was a frame for an air hammer for planishing bits and it works pretty well.
    Biggest issue I have is if you start stretching 0.8mm steel, you don't have far to go before you get foil! Mind you I'm probably overworking it and I did manage to form the patch for the front of the DS inner panel with it even though it was a disaster to weld in.

I've also thought of making an English Wheel, but I'm sure I would produce a awful lot of scrap until I get the wing of it so I'm holding back on that for now.

Starting to gather up the tools I need (want), just struggling to get the time to use them.
    Maybe i should less time making / modifying tools and more time working on the cars.

Exuptoy likes this.
  15. Regarding planishing, the wheel makes a far better job of it without making it too thin. My dad has one which he purchased with 1 set of wheels but my mate has made a full set for him. Also if you cover the flat wheel with a rubber inner tube material you can increase the radius as the rubber gives more. He also is in the process of making a motor driven swage.

16. Peter Tommasini at work. This is just a taster. My old man has the complete set of 9 dvds following the car, start to finish.

delta9 and zx9 like this.
  17. Dcal Member

Wow, that's some skill.
    They make it look so easy (As if!)

This could convince me that I really need a wheel, or it could just as easily convince me to give up.

18. Haha. Another guy is Chris Runge. Started off making hot rods and his one off designs are now fetching $150k!!! Google Runge FF04 or FF01

19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Beautiful work....I reckon that panel must be pretty thick steel....if I hit my Figaro like that the car would just fold in half!

When I win the lottery (not if!) I'll get myself one of these...beautifully made I think.

• IMG_20180613_194832051.jpg
  20. Dcal Member

Yous have got me thinking now!
    I quite fancy fabricating one
    Seen a couple of brilliant ones on on the net

[​IMG]

Whats it like to get the wheels and anvils?
    And just to be clear, I don't have any room for more kit.
    But... I could mod my planishing hammer frame for a wheel

IMG_4229.JPG

Advertisements