1ph mains supply query

1. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I've seen that a few times wall lights wired in to the back of sockets with bell wire :vsad:[/QUOTE]

I heard about a house completely wired in BT telephone wire, doubled or even tripled up, old boy was ex BT engineer, I am sure he had sort of calculated the load etc. BUT phone wire!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  2. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I heard about a house completely wired in BT telephone wire, doubled or even tripled up, old boy was ex BT engineer, I am sure he had sort of calculated the load etc. BUT phone wire![/QUOTE]

Dropwire number 8 would probably work - it's about 2.5 mm^2 and insulated for a couple of kV - the grey figure-8 - BUT it's a copper-clad steel wire, used where an overhead drop passes under/over a mains overhead. A right bugler to terminate and good exercise running a few spans across a field, dragging the cable reel behind you with a 3-section ladder over your shoulder... I must have been fit, once!

Dave H. (the other one)

3. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

You should just get one of the Part P jokers in! They obviously know what's to regs and what's not, after all they've been on a 5 week/day/hour course that tells them they're compitant......
    :o

bigegg, jimbo84 and Hopefuldave like this.
  4. James1979 Forum Supporter

Dropwire number 8 would probably work - it's about 2.5 mm^2 and insulated for a couple of kV - the grey figure-8 - BUT it's a copper-clad steel wire, used where an overhead drop passes under/over a mains overhead. A right bugler to terminate and good exercise running a few spans across a field, dragging the cable reel behind you with a 3-section ladder over your shoulder... I must have been fit, once!

Dave H. (the other one)[/QUOTE]
    Whole house and outbuildings were built during the war and wired by the army. It was all in use when I bought it. Gradually renewed it as I work my way through. I wanted to gut the place but it was a massive job all in one go. I suppose if it’s been used for 70 years it’ll be fine for another few months! All academic as it’s virtually all decommissioned now and done to modern spec. Just a few bits left that aren’t used much in sheds.

• image.jpg
Advertisements