1ph mains supply query

1. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

my shed has 3" x 3" trunking, handy shelf!

James1979 likes this.
  2. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

My shop is the same, 40 amp supply run from a spare way in the 100 amp shower CU in the front garage, 6mm SWA run to a second 32 amp CU and then a 16 amp breaker for my welder socket. A 32 amp for the ring main. 6 for the lights.

I did all the grunt work, installed sockets, buried SWA, ran the majority of the wires, and the sparky hooked it up, tested, and signed off. I have a 15 metres run of 6mm cable altogether.

I paid £150 for the sparky, it was four hours work for all his checking, hooking up, changing a couple of breakers etc.

Frazzled, Malky and James1979 like this.
  3. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

^^^ not meny will do that most want all of the work or nothing

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. James1979 Forum Supporter

Depends if you get a good one. Mine was the same as @Morrisman's. Hes really old and hates anything he cant do from standing on the ground or sitting. Win Win really :) Trick is to find the right guy I guess.

angellonewolf and dobbslc like this.
  5. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

A sparky here
    Just many miles far from your location
    Materials cost here in Italy would be
    C32 breaker ABB (MCB-RCD) 30 to 50 euros
    25m of 25mm RK PVC conduit about 30 euros
    IP 67 conduit joints about 10 euros
    30 meters of 6mm² fs17 stranded wire , around 50 euros (30 brown,30 blue,30 PE)
    32A interlocking socket IP 67 , 50 euros

Consumables and work around 500 euros with certification

James1979 likes this.
  6. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

On a ring you can only have 13A socket outlets.
    For the 16 & 32A commando sockets you only.need to run radial.circuits out from the D/B.

7. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

It's also to do with signing off. He/she issues a certificate making them liable for the lot, including your work. Not too bad if you can see the whole cable run, another story if it's a hidden cable run and the cable has been run who knows where against who knows what. It may test out ok but a few months later be dangerous and they're still liable, I wouldn't do it unless I could see the entire run/install.

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

you can run a fair few 13 amp sockets of a ring main using diversity of course and no bigger aeria than 100 square meters or a string of 13 a sockets on a radial using 4.0mm cable a string of 16 amp sockets can be run on a radial supply using 2.5 cable and the same as 32 amp sockets on a radial using 4.0mm cable . ring mains can be a pain in the butt for fault finding and were designed to save cable

Hopefuldave and dobbslc like this.
  9. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

^^^what i was told there are places you can lay cable and places you cant unless they can see all of it and every hole thats been pulled throght even

dobbslc and James1979 like this.
  10. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Did you say you've got 3 phase?

Run 3 phase to a consumer unit in your workshop.

From there you can pull, 13, 16 and any ampage spurs or rings for plugs and dedicated 3 phase plugs.

If you've got 3 phase you're laughing.

Hopefuldave, Morrisman and Memmeddu like this.
  11. brightspark

brightspark Member

some want to see the 1st fix before its covered and then test when finished .some couldn't care less . some wont test other peoples work at all and ive seen some dodgy certificates with the figures just made up :vsad:

dobbslc, jimbo84 and barking mat like this.
  12. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

The good old drive by test.

Hopefuldave, dobbslc and brightspark like this.
  13. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

We had one that did that, only problem was he missed the fact the 2 tower cranes he put on the cert had been taken away! :doh::clapping:

14. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

:laughing:

15. Morrisman

I explained I knew that to my guy before I booked him to come give a quote. I didn’t want to waste his time, but he was a really practical type of guy and took a good look at the wiring I had fixed already, told me it was as good as anything he would do himself.

James1979 and brightspark like this.
  16. qwakers Member

some? iv yet to find a sparky that will test anyone else's work, ever. even if they've had the opportunity of seeing it at first fix.

ive given up trying and just don't bother to get it signed off, the leave it a while and get a periodical safety check done. never been pulled up on a fault yet.... it isnt rocket science, this house wiring lark... even of i do have to google how to wire a 2 way... every time.....

edit: to be clear, i only do work in my own house.

bigegg and Hopefuldave like this.
  17. brightspark

brightspark Member

nothing wrong with getting a periodic test done by someone on any property. its just if u need a test on a new installation that has gone through planning . ive just packed in my registration but can still get tests done by 3 other electricians if I have to. :)after having all my work been inspected by the nic eic once a year random checks and not had any fail apart from a few minor points in the last 45 years im hardly worried about my jobs failing a test by anyone

dobbslc and Morrisman like this.
  18. Morrisman

If I had had a spare breaker in my house CU I wouldn’t have bothered getting a sparky in, just hooked my system up to it, as I know enough about it to do that safely.

But then realised I didn’t actually have a spare, which was when it got a bit more complicated.....

James1979 likes this.
  19. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

You are correct, but the process of sign off is in place for the real idiots, who are not bright enough to use google to find out the right way to do things.

Let me give you an example.

My father had a shop selling tvs, washers etc, also sold electrical bits and bobs. So this day I was asked to help with some stuff. In came a woman, asking for bell wire. No problem, how much do you want. While makeing small talk it was for her neighbour to wire in wall lights from a socket, because he could easily hide the wire. Apparently hed done it for others in the same block too. I explained to her the correct way and that it should be approved by the landlord (council).

Quite scary really what some folk think is ok.

20. brightspark

brightspark Member

[QUOTE="addjunkie, post:
    My father had a shop selling tvs, washers etc, also sold electrical bits and bobs. So this day I was asked to help with some stuff. In came a woman, asking for bell wire. No problem, how much do you want. While makeing small talk it was for her neighbour to wire in wall lights from a socket, because he could easily hide the wire. Apparently hed done it for others in the same block too. I explained to her the correct way and that it should be approved by the landlord (council).

Quite scary really what some folk think is ok.[/QUOTE]I've seen that a few times wall lights wired in to the back of sockets with bell wire :vsad:

Westfield-builder and Matchless like this.
Advertisements