1993 Kawasaki Mule UTV project

1. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I just used grease, all I have

2. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Now we are getting somewhere. I welded the top bracket by adding a brace on top, and then electro-glued the whole thing together....that should hold it!...it does not budge at all now when the plow is lifted, and then, even when I bounce on it....

[​IMG]

Brought the plow up from the shed to size things up....

[​IMG]

then cut the mounting plate down to fit behind the plow. the top lip of the plow accidentally fits perfectly over the top of the backing plate....huh, go figure! SOPE, I guess...(seat of the pants engineering!)

Got a coat of color on the bare steel....

[​IMG]

and found some bolts to attach the plow itself to the backing plate.

[​IMG]

Gave everything a coat of satin black that was calling for it. I did leave the ends of the blade red on both sides so in the dark I can see it well...any other ideas for that would be great!

[​IMG]

and that largely finishes this part of the project. Ive got to go over the whole thing again, put the bed back together, tweak the idle and mixture screws (its picked up a bit of a stutter off idle) and get the doors built....

happy to have this part working though!

thanks for lookin

JP

zx9, Rannsachair, Gragson and 6 others like this.
  3. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So the plow was raising and lowering too fast and with a big load on the winch.....so I did a little research. I remembered vaguely that the more pulleys you add (block and tackle) the less effort is needed, but you have to pull farther to lift an object a given height...or something like that.....

I added one pulley on the plow body, chose a smaller wheel for the upper pulley, and added a hook to the top to attach the cable hook to. Simply reversing the arrangement I had would have reduced the effort on the winch but adding a second pulley really slowed things down so that the plow raises and lowers at a nice rate now.

[​IMG]

The winch sounds happier and the action of the plow is much smoother! as long as the hardware holds up, its a win!

[​IMG]

bed sides and doors next!

its supposed to snow friday.....argghhhh....

thanks for lookin

Jp

Rannsachair, Gragson, Cobbler and 4 others like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Friday!!! :o Steady on, we usually get the tail-end of your storms about 7-10 days later, but it's FAR too early on the year for that! :vsad: :laughing:

5. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Im hoping for just flurries! it did get quite chilly tonight after work as I was cutting the leaves...I mean grass...

;)

JP

slim_boy_fat and daleyd like this.
  6. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I needed a new grinder, so decided to buy a better quality one as I was going through them at a pretty good rate lately....and found some door hardware, too. Hinges and door latches (for screen doors). the handles look the part and they were inexpensive. right up my alley. My sketch is probably going to be modified as the front of the doors will need an angled shape to cover the sides of the dash. (rear hinge design) I have an old ladder rack made from some pretty heavy box steel that I plan on using. It may take a little time to cut it all up, but its free! ;)

[​IMG]

my buddy has some angle iron that I can use for window channels, so Ill probably use that.....the doors will be mostly plexi panels...at least in my mind.....

thanks for lookin

JP

Migmac, Ruffian and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Working on the doors today....my buddy had some left over angle iron that was used in shipping some mini bikes and he saved the metal for me. Its not quite as heavy duty as I would like, but with the right gussets and supports, it will be just fine. I cut all the welds apart and separated all the pieces to see what I had....measuring it all out, I have plenty to get the doors done. Bonus!

[​IMG]

And look what someone was just throwing out!...I found it at the recycling center the other week and it was a tool that I have been wanting for a long time. It even has a cut off wheel for metal! Ive been using it to true up some cuts with the grinder on the angle iron too!

[​IMG]

The door begins to take shape and is getting more solid every time I weld a new piece on...this is the upper rear (hinge) corner...its measuring 57.5 hinge side which is a straight piece, x24 along the top x35 down the front side angled 30 degrees or so, x32 for the bottom angle to reach the bottom piece which is x24 again.

[​IMG]

sorry for the crappy photos...

[​IMG]

and the front angled piece. Because of the way the roll cage and cab are constructed here, I have to add another filler piece for the door latch. This piece will also have snaps for a cloth filler.

[​IMG]

Im hoping to get the rest of the door buttoned up tonight and maybe even install the hinges, but that may have to be left for another day.......

thanks for lookin

JP

mechman, slim_boy_fat, Migmac and 2 others like this.
  8. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    The doors continue to take shape, though slower than anticipated!...I think I can add another triangular panel to them for that front corner in steel if I have enough.....that would eliminate the need for a filler piece of fabric or whatever.....

[​IMG]

here it is on the mule...The hinges are not quite right, but will work well enough....Ill be adding more supports the hinges, door handles, plexi...ect.....

[​IMG]

thanks for lookin!

JP

9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I was able to work on the doors today. I decided to line the inside channel with wood for a couple of reasons. The angle iron needed some support from twisting in the breeze and I wanted something easy to work with when it came time to screw in the L channel for the plexi windows.

heres the first half done.....

[​IMG]

and a few details. I am definitely NOT a woodworker, but was able to channel out a few areas that needed it.....

[​IMG]

This area is for the top of the door. the roof channel is only 3/4" deep, so the wood across the top of the door needed a little trimming. I went old school on it with a hand saw as I have put the table saw away for the winter.....

[​IMG]

Did my best to countersink the screws and it went well...better than I anticipated....

[​IMG]

It still fits!

[​IMG]

Then it was time to put it to work....the driveway needed smoothing out, so took the DIY driveway rake for a drag. the only drawback with this set up is turning radius. The Mule needs a lot more room than my garden tractor did......

[​IMG]

I finished out the day by calling the bed sides ready for smoothing and paint. they are not perfect, but are now free of rust and all but the smallest dimple dents.....its a work vehicle after all!

[​IMG]

and after the first coat of paint....it looks better in the photo to be honest. but its got one more round of smoothing then the final coat of color.....

[​IMG]

a good weekend of progress....wish I had more time.....

thanks for lookin

JP

10. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    the bedsides were dry and it was time for a trial fit. Did the cab get closer, or the sides get bigger?..they are super close to the cab when the bed is lowered in place.....hmmm, gotta see if I can add some room there.....

[​IMG]

I also started work on the bed cover. take one big 10x12 tarp, lay it on the floor, then measure out the size of the pvc frame I made and mark it up......

Then cut out the corners so it will fit over the cage......

[​IMG]

and trial fit it. I want the back to be able to roll up like a troop carrier for visability when backing up..

[​IMG]

and finally, the door ready for final fitment and hinges.....Ill add windows, window channels and maybe some side panels......

[​IMG]

thanks for looking,

JP

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I have been trying to figure out the best combination of materials for the bottom surface of the bed sides in terms of corrosion protection. I decided on primer, paint, truck bed coating and finallly rubberized undercoating. sounds excessive, but will have just a touch of flexibility and softness to act Im hoping, like a sort of gasket....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

continued on making progress on the troop carrier top. I used seam and panel tape along the 4 vertical corner posts and glued and screwed the top 4 corners and lower sections. it did firm up quite a bit and does not have the "wobblies" from side to side anymore...

[​IMG]

I bought this interior light a while back and decided to put it at the rear of the troop carrier top....I usually plow at night and Im sure this will come in handy for when I need to find that shovel or scraper, or tool......

[​IMG]

and finally, the door. I got some color on it today and its looking pretty snazzy....I measured up the window channel areas and will make them up at the shop tuesday when I have access to a bender and some scrap aluminum. 3/4 L channel should do the trick......

[​IMG]

thanks for looking!

JP

Gragson, slim_boy_fat, daleyd and 3 others like this.
  12. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Are you going for sliding windows like series Land Rovers?

Screenshot_20201113-035916_Chrome.jpg

jpmillermatic likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

Come on JP, 'fess up - this is really you isn't it....:scared: :D

upload_2020-11-13_11-57-28.jpeg

14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    DOH!

Ive been found out!

Got the door in place today...pretty happy with that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the bed topper in place with one of the bedsides bolted in place. Ive got a little patching to do on the other side yet, then that one can go in.....

[​IMG]

and while getting the rear cage bonded in place, it looks like my toolboxes and cinder blocks broke Covid protocol and were having a meeting without their masks!

;)

[​IMG]

thanks for lookin!

JP

daleyd and Migmac like this.
  15. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

It’s looking good, just need snow now

jpmillermatic likes this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

Rightly so :thumbup:

jpmillermatic and daleyd like this.
  17. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Was busy with work this weekend, but managed to sneak a little time in on the Mule. The rear cage pieces bonded well togerther. I used a brush on seam sealer and it really did the trick. now the areas inside the channel where the cage and frame meet will be sealed from the elements...The seam sealer is an Evercoat product.

[​IMG]

and these little beauties came in last week...some rear view mirrors made for UTVs....not expensive, but well made. yes, they are all plastic for the most part, but well designed. no rusting is a good thing!

[​IMG]

I looked into getting some plexi panels for the door, and due to covid, the prices have more than doubled on this stuff!...Im not putting nearly 80.00US into a couple of window panels. so, will be looking at options. for now, I got some clear window film that you shrink wrap in place. it has worked great in the past and is very clear when the wrinkles are out of it. it was 10.00 for 3 big panels....worth a shot!

thanks for looking!

JP

slim_boy_fat and daleyd like this.
  18. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So, it does not look like much....but I got the rear cage and plexiglass in place. This took 10 steps to move forward one, but what the heck....

[​IMG]

I was also happy to wire in the upper lights on a separate switch from the headlights. both are working well with a new switch panel I got last week.....

[​IMG]

It looks much better in person than this photo shows. Im also going to switch out the "sheet rock screws" that came with it....they just dont "do it" for me!

JP

slim_boy_fat, daleyd and Migmac like this.
  19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Well, there is no real way to make this look good...Ive patched and seam sealed and let it sit. its just plain ugly...but not rusted through anymore. ahh well....progress is progress. Solid is good and it will all be under a plastic bedliner or under the fenders, ect....

[​IMG]

I do like the seam sealer. it dries quickly once applied and is paintable anytime after about 15 minutes.

This is the underside of the bed...its held dirt and moisture right above the fenders. Time was not kind to these sections. The rust even got through the very very tough paint Kawasaki put on there some 30 years ago.

[​IMG]

This is the front of the bed. the worst part is the lowest edge. Ive seam sealed it now since the picture was taken and gotten some primer on there.

[​IMG]

My revised window measurements. Ill cut the plexi 1/8" shorter all the way around so it floats in the window channel....

[​IMG]

I dont know why Im so excited about this door pull...its from a old VW beetle, I think....NOS...its just fun...and unnecessary. but what the heck......

[​IMG]

anyway...more pics tomorrow hopefully. its looking better with paint on it!

thanks for lookin

JP

20. postie jon Member

Dont want to put you down or the lovely work youve done :thumbup: ,But has the Mule got power assisted steering? Dad has a Cushman \kyoti which is very similar ,it too has no power steering and with all terain tyres and low ground pressure is a total bitch to steer at low speed and shunting for a 3 point turn is near impossible ?

Advertisements