1968 mini cooper

1. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

au contraire mr Marky. there are 2 types or sill, standard 4 1/2 inch as fitted at the factory and 6 inch for fitting once you have made a mess of drilling out the original spotwelds and have a nice bit of inner sill to weld too.

the 3rd variation is the 9 inch oversill :laughing: i not saying you still have your original sills still rotting away underneath but oversills were only ment as a quick fix to get another few years out of a mini. the vents are sealed so there is no air flow to dry any moisture and no drain if any water gets in, so there not the best for longevity.

here is some backup seeing as you dont belive me
    http://www.scottishmini.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=76943

as from the factory -
    http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=32902

first stage repair -
    http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=34230&title=SILL OVER PANEL 5.75

last resort -
    http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=32793&title=SILL 8

and here is my mini with the 6 inch sills fitted
    [​IMG]
    can see the open vents were they should be

the last ill say of it, dont want to be arsey just making you aware of the differences :waving:

2. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    well in that case iv got the "over sills" but there not over anything ! theres nothing underneath them except the floor!! im gonna drill a hole in the inside tomorrow and take a pic in a repairable place to proove to you all that mine isnt a binger lol pmsl

someone has fitted these sills instead of the norm ....

I think i will leave them alone as they are solid , i might just paint / underseal them in away that makes them look more genuine ;)

thanks for the info chris :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. Brianmini Member

Fife, Scotland
    See thats what confused me, I've always believed that the 9" sills were cover sills, as they fit over the rusted out old sills and are welded to the floor.

I do agree though that early cars had non-vented sills.

4. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    I pulled the car apart today :laughing:

there is nothing behind these sills except the square box section type beam and its spotless inside ? i drilled a couple holes that i will fill . I just had to do it just to make sure . :whistle:

5. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

seeing as you have holes in your over..... ahem, 9 inch sills might want to think about a good skoosh of wayoyl, cant hurt ;)

and again i didnt mean to imply you left the original sills, just that 9 inch sills tend to be called over sills. anyway, so long as theres another mini being kept alive you can weld on biscuit tins for all it matters :D (hmmm biscuit tins :rolleyes:.......)

6. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    better than the wing repair that was done to 66-V8's (i think thats right) jag wing, newspaper and filler :laughing: :o

7. Brianmini Member

Fife, Scotland
    My worry now after reading the scottish forum post is that because the oversill doesn't complete the box section, as it joins the floor instead that the car would be weaker!

Mind you, that said, I just replaced my drivers side sill with an original sided one, had to make a few inner sill patched and the structure was still pretty solid i'd say.

Still that all said and done, your mini certainly looks in superior condition to mine haha. My welding might not be pretty, but i can whack it with a hammer and it doesn't split, and I can exert my 14stone of weight on a patch and it doesn't give, so its strong enough for me. Considering I could put my finger through the rusted but still intact metal.

8. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    Brian thats the thing with my car , it is a really good shell and no rust anywhere !!!! even the underside;) makes it easier for me i suppose . The plus side is the car has history and all the numbers seem to tie in which is always a good thing . Only thing i would have liked was the original engine ..... sadly thats been lost along the way mine is a 1380 .... looks the same but when folk ask what engine it is i always feel there let down when i say its not "the 998" :whistle:

what year is yours brian ?

iv also just ordered new door skins and a new heritage bonnet , [ never fitted skins before so it should be an interesting post when i come to do it :laughing:

9. Brianmini Member

Fife, Scotland
    Mine is just a 1992 Cooper, so basically a rust bucket! Just patching it to keep it on the road, would love to reshell it one day.

10. tazzy-lee Member

NORTHAMPTON
    great project mate looking good

Advertisements