1968 mini cooper

1. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    Hi guys ,

new to the forum and looking at some of the help available iv decided to join ! so heres my project . [ starting the paint removal tomorrow]
    [im not 1 for the mini forums as im not a modifier or a boy racer just rather get the right advise]

dont let the picture fool you , it does look ok but the paintwork is rubbish and im restoring to standard , mechanically rebuild 4 years ago so everything is still rosie .

-loosing the mirrors ,
    -wheel arches ,
    -bulkhead repair ,
    -ripples on the quarter to come out
    -prep for paint
    -paint

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. zilspeed Member

Scotland
    Don't know if it's the rain or that the 2nd pic looks like the hairpin, but that looks very much like Knockhill.

3. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland

sure is mate I used to ba a regular but the car is now retired from that and getting the respect it deserves after 40 years :laughing:

4. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

nice to see a mini being taken care of for a change, i prefere to do silly things to them. well mechanicly, really cant stand the body kit brigade :vsad:
    one day i may take a mini back to standard, havnt driven an A series in years......

5. littlenewt2067

littlenewt2067 Member

Southend Essex
    Keep the updates coming!!

6. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    lol well when i say standard ..... its not , its got 4 pots and 1380cc but dont tell anyone :laughing:

just uploading first set of pictures the "before stage" with trim removed

7. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    [​IMG]

Got the car in the garage today after taking all the wheel arches and trim / bumpers off and a good wash .

[​IMG]

After removing the trim the lip on the wheel arches and seam was surprisingly good with no rot in all 4 corners!!! I was expecting to be remaking these when they fell off with the trim .

[​IMG]

there are drill hole marks round the wheel arches so these will need to be fixed and back to smooth.

[​IMG]

spot lamp holes are also gettinf filled in as thay wond be going back on . [ had 7" 135w x 4 :laughing: and i could light up the hole of scotland. But with big lamps big brackets were needed so thats more mess to fix .....

[​IMG]

mirrors are also getting removed according to the original spec .

[​IMG]

the bonnet needs ALOT of work and im tempted to just buy a new 1 but i'd like to try my skills and fix it with help from you guys.

[​IMG]

this reversing light will also need to be removed and the holes repaired .

[​IMG]

repair I made earlier in the year that I havent painted as yet , passenger side also

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  8. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    took up 1 of the guys tips with the copper behind the holes I as welding up , great sucsess and great idea !

heres how i got on today .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  9. ben8vgte

ben8vgte Member

off to a good start, what colour are you spraying it ?

10. littlenewt2067

littlenewt2067 Member

Southend Essex
    Loving the pics! especially the copper tip

11. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    ages away from that yet bud but it will be kept the same , tartan red but with a black roof .

12. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    that tip was excellent !!! I cant remember who told me to do that ? but i' ll take a picture of the underside and the underside is perfect and level with the panel :cool:

edit*** it was robotstar's idea on my post when asking "how to " well done that man .;)

[ iv blew that many holes in panels over the years and that just seems so simple i feel so stupid to not have tried it b4 ! ] :whistle:

13. general--lee Member

east sussex
    i have a mint NOS swing down numberplate mount for a mk1 no light or hinges but the main numberplate mount very rare ?
    interested?

14. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland

nah my 1 is like new also but thanks anyway ,

i'm quite lucky someone spent a fortune on the car but obviously ran out of money and skimped on the bodywork :laughing:

15. Highway_Star

Highway_Star Member

Fife, Scotland
    That takes me back!

My 2ndo rmaybe 3rd car was a Cooper S of similar vintage. It's still on teh road, in the hands of my then girlfriends father who lovingly restored it.

16. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    totally ****** up today . was welding the holes on the door from where iv removed the wing mirrors and i welded to close to the rear window [ laminated] and the welding sparks etc has totally buggered it . its like brail ..........

really annoyed .

17. metaljoiner

metaljoiner Member

UK southwest
    I have been reading the thread, I cant work out if it's a genuine Mini cooper? many people think they have these cars, but because the mini have been around so long they have been lost to the scrapyards through people who don't know what they had, there are not that many genuine ones left.

18. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Aw that's really sh**** Marky! guess we all got excited by the nice pics of your mini we forgot to warn you on that...:(
    (a guy i worked with did the same thing once with an angle grinder...:()

19. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland
    can i why you question it ?
    its certainly genuine mate ;) Iv owned the car for 4 years and can trace its whole 41 year life . It also has a notable first owner .

the cooper "s" is a common car to be replicated and not many of them have survived .

20. Marky

Marky Member

Scotland

lol the annoying thing is I KNEW NOT TO DO IT :laughing: I usually spray soapy water where i want to avoid that happening doh ....

mk1 mini rear windows are smaller than any other mini made after 1969 so it will be a pain for a replacement :whistle: i,ll try and get it sorted

Advertisements