12 volt cat tyre compressors..recomend a GOOD one Please

1. arther dailey Member

Hi
    well over a few years I have tried various 12 v car tyre pumps, none have lasted long, yes I do use with engine running,yes I let them cool back after doing 1 tyre, but I do use them on a van getting up to 50psi.
    most are advertised will do 100 psi, all I can say to that is,complete tosh,most struggle to get the 50 psi in the van.
    Can any one recomend a good one, most seem to only last a year to 18 months, just need one that will keep working really. thanks

2. Carl Wilson Member

My cat has Lego wheels which have solid tyres

3. 123hotchef Member

I used my mates one about a month ago TMAX quality bit of kit

arther dailey likes this.
  4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I have one of these, 12v/24v battery compressors, Very pricy new but as usual dropped on mine for £20-00 a few years ago at a boot sale, works great, just like the larger compressors it got an air tank,

koala2-12.jpg

arther dailey and 8ob like this.
  5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Its the max run time you need to watch, unless you are spending north of £60 they all seem to have very short run times and melt.

Bought this one and its 40 minute run time, can cope with a truck/tractor tyre . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-MAX-12V-Air-Compressor-Small-Portable-HEAVY-DUTY-Tyre-Inflator-Car-Truck-4x4/331146879743?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Max Air Flow: 72 litres p/minute, 50LPM @ 30PSI
    Max Voltage: 13.8volt
    Max Amp Draw: 30A
    Max Working Pressure: 150 PSI
    Max Restart Pressure: 200 PSI
    Max Ambient Temperature: 60C
    Min Ambient Temperature: -40C
    Max Duty Cycle Time: 40 mins @ 30 PSI @ 22C

6. 123hotchef Member

that looks like my mates one quite a heavy lump actually

7. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

There were recommendations on here around the time I joined for an American make that is available in the UK; many of the 4x4 drivers recommended them... will take a look when I get the chance.

8. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

9. MoreWellie Member

I bought one of these in 2008 for off road tyres https://www.paddockspares.com/pm981-portable-12v-compressor.html

you do have to watch it as it doesn't have a tank just keeps pumping until you turn it off but the gauge is reasonably accurate and it has a similar runtime to the @8ob one

works well putting a lot of air into largish tyres

10. Ruffian Member

Go to a scrappy and get one from a VW or Mitsubishi.

They claim good for 40psi.
    Can put 65psi into a citroen relay tyre easy enough. Even when loaded to :whistle: 3.5 tonnes :whistle:

arther dailey and johnik like this.
  11. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Mine recently went up in smoke!

Probably worth spending the extra tbf. Bought a cheap £10 job for now, But god knows how long it will last.

12. gordon stephenson

Ring RAC900 compressors are around £70-00, Aldi or Lidl were selling an identical one for £20 ish, A friend of mine bought one and it worked great (for a while) Rang the help line and they sent him a new one straight away, didn't want the other one back, Taking the cover off discovered it was a loose connector, fixed it so now he has two, Result!!

4e90e5ca-0ced-41f2-94ac-7ee1b805b0ef.jpg._CB296571888__SL300__.jpg

123hotchef and arther dailey like this.
  13. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    VIAIR are the ones offroad and expedition poeple tend to use. They have some that are 100% duty cycle.

14. arther dailey Member

That seems to be about right for me, will also check out the salvage yards for ones out of vw/mitsubishi as also recomended. Thanks

15. arther dailey Member

I have already cooked two of those...doing a van tyre

gordon stephenson likes this.
  16. arther dailey Member

Ok, excuse my ignorance but any specific year/model,are these portable jobbies supplied with cars that have no spare wheel? sounds like you have found them worth while power wise.

17. gordon stephenson

My touareg has a compressor, but have never used it, so don't know what quality, Its needed because the car comes with a spare wheel but the tyre has collapsible side walls to make it fit in the wheel well, What are the 12v compressors like on cars that have air suspension?

18. Ruffian Member

Found most of the vag group ones decent and the ones from mitsubishi colts.
    They do well as we deal alot with ibiza and fabias they do come in fairly often and do take abuse.

19. The ones supplied with Mercs are very good but I can’t vouch for the 50psi
    Fleebay 253282884838

The Air Hawk rechargeable ones are also good but again, don’t know about 50psi.

20. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    If space isn't an and you are using it farily often then I would consider buying a dive cylinder and reg.

My wife already had some dive cylinders and bought a second hand reg and put a PCL XF fitting on it. It's regulated down from 3000psi to 100psi. You can pump up dozens of tyres it only cost a few quid to get the cylinder recharged or if you know someone in a dive club then you can get it down free as long as the cylinder in date. Mine will run a windy gun too.

arther dailey and Shox Dr like this.
Advertisements