0.6 or 0.8 that is the question

1. DestroyItYourself Member

0.6 or 0.8 that is the question , got another welder sorted. Am far from a good welder but hope to get there, ill be welding thin steel and chassis, odd burner project and loads of practice on steel from local engineer scrap bin. I used 0.8 on my old clarke 150te , would 0.6 be better for car repairs?

2. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

0.8 and 0.6 will be fine .The 0.6 will force you to run at at lower amperage so better for thinner metals.

stuvy and DestroyItYourself like this.
  3. optima21 Forum Supporter

I prefer 0.6mm for welding thin metal on cars, but others prefer 0.8mm. some would say that as the 0.8mm cools the weld more you are less likely to blow holes with it.

4. arther dailey Member

depends what you call thin I geuss, I use .8 on 1mm tin and there abouts ,but if its thin as in .6/.8 tin where its been rusted/sanded etc would use .6 wire, everything above that .8 wire up to say 5mm steel.

DestroyItYourself likes this.
  5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

I use 0.6 for car bodies and similar metal work.

You have to adjust your settings accordingly.

I run 0.8 for horseshoes and heavier scrap metal.

I have notice Halfords do sell a few good names of small wire drums and a reasonable price, but it seams to be 0.6 flavour

6. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I use .6 in a smaller mig set for up to 3mm steel and .8 in the bigger set for general fabrications on 3mm thick steel and above. Vary rarely use 1mm wire.

Bob

7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I use 0.8 for everything. I have a roll of 0.6 that's not been opened. The Kemppi is happy welding down to 20g with 0.8 and would probably go even thinner if I had anything to try it on.

8. Dcal Member

I've used 0.6 and 0.8 for car bodywork and I prefer the 0.8.
    Gave the 0.6 a good go but just didn't like it.

rikrobson and DestroyItYourself like this.
  9. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

0.8 .. Once I changed from 0.6 I never went back

10. Turbo Member

I've put 0.6 in my mig for welding thin stuff & had it running lovely. Have had 0.8 in it for a couple of years now & had the settings fine tuned so it welded nicely. Then one day I ran out of wire so I put in a roll of 0.6 but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to do a decent weld! :dontknow: Then when I got a new roll of 0.8 it took ages to get the welder dialled again in to weld nicely. :vsad:

I can weld thin stuff ok with the 0.8 so I'll stick with that to save messing up my settings. Unfortunately I have several rolls of 0.6 to use up first! :rolleyes:

11. stuvy

stuvy Member

Car body 0.6

Chassis 0.8

Burner 0.8 with a lot of amps

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

My Kemppi hates 0.6mm....dunno why but it always throws a fit when I try to use it.

13. stuvy

stuvy Member

Is the wire feed correct

14. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    A lot all depends also on joint fit up
    I do quiet a bit of MOT failure welding,which is mostly patch work(this all depends on "how much/cost"),nearly 90% of that is with 0.8 which is lap joints esp on thin stuff plus chassis
    If i'm replacing say a complete panel ie a wheel arch to which i have to attach to old i can get away with plug welding,all depends how good the metal is i'm sticking to.
    Body work on older cars and doing butt joints i throw on the 0.6 wire and stitch my way a long
    Its horses for courses really,and adjustments,i still have to mess about with setting on the machine if say i do a normal lap/butt joint on the flat to something overhead

DestroyItYourself and stuvy like this.
  15. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Below is .6 on a few bits of 3mm flat I was playing about with settings on, I reckon its about the limit before going to.8

[​IMG]

16. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

0.6 or 0.8 it's the quality and consistency of the wire that matters have never had a problem with Lincoln wire.

arther dailey likes this.
  17. johnser

johnser Member

Think it depends a lot on the welder (machine) as well as the welder (human) preferance.

I never got on with 0.6 in my old Clarke so used 0.8 for everything. Don't mind 0.6 now in a better machine but still use 0.8 almost exclusively.

I think I remember 0.6 for bodywork being a bit more fussy with not perfect (i.e. still a bit rusty) material. With 0.8, you can up the amps quite a bit, get everything molten and quickly dash off before you blow through. 0.6 seemed less forgiving

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

On the Kemppi that I have the auto settings are setup for 0.8mm....it will do 0.6mm by swapping the feed roller and tip but I still didn't get on with it.

19. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Maybe it is because I was taught on 0.6 wire when I started with my MIG I get on well with it.

20. johnser

johnser Member

If you can use 0.6 on new, clean steel and get into spray quicker though (as 8ob posted above) why not!

WorkshopChris and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
Advertisements