YL600 VFD working!

1. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I can't be the only person who loves this kind of thing, right?

Bought some shiny switches and, with the help of the smart folks on here, figured out how to get it going with:

• Momentary push to Start
    • Momentary push to Stop
    • Jog forward
    • Job back
    I'm waiting for my latching switch to cover the forward/reverse, and the pot for external speed control, then it's build-a-box time!

This is for a YL600, but the config should work with a YL620 too, so in case this helps someone else:

P00.01 = 1, external start/stop
    P00.16 = 2, three wire motor control
    P00.17 = 5, X1 = jog forward
    P00.18 = 6, X2 = jog backward
    P06.17 = 1, jog acceleration time
    P06.18 = 1, jog deceleration time
    P07.16 = 8, jog forward frequency
    P07.17 = 8, jog reverse frequency

Connections:

X1 = NO jog forward
    X2 = NO jog reverse
    X3 = NC stop
    X4 = open: forward, closed: reverse
    X5 = NO run

2. daleyd

daleyd Member

Great work :thumbup:

Im lucky enough to do this kind of thing for work (for the last 20 years or more!) and i still always have a little glow inside when it starts/stops/speeds up and slows down at the right time :laughing: it’s like having your own little train set, I don’t think I’ll ever grow up :whistle:

3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I'm jealous!

I'm thinking of buying another VFD and motor for the lathe, and just leave this set on the dining table :D

Ali, Parm, Hopefuldave and 2 others like this.
  4. daleyd

daleyd Member

:laughing::clapping:

5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Hey - quick question...

I just tried upping the max frequency from 50Hz and, unsurprisingly, this makes the motor run faster!

It seems to me that this can't be a good thing for the motor, and the meagre manual that came with the £110 motor doesn't say anything about maximum frequency...
    Take it that means I should leave it set at max of 50Hz?

6. daleyd

daleyd Member

If it’s a modern motor you should be ok for a bit more - the motor itself will probably handle 100hz (or more) easily.

It’s not usually the motor but what’s going on the end of it that will be your limiting factor - if it’s an old lathe then you probably want to take it easy when winding it up. Also don’t forget when going above 50hz you get into the “constant power” region of the drive, so torque will start to decrease above this as the voltage is maxed out at 230v (at 50hz)

Ali, Hopefuldave and skotl like this.
  7. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Actually - that's a great point about the lathe. I bought this motor specifically because its top speed is 1650 RPM which is (pretty much) the same as the existing motor.
    Best not to stress an 80 year old lathe and gearbox!

slim_boy_fat and daleyd like this.
  8. daleyd

daleyd Member

I use mine up to 75 hz - I’ve no scientific basis for that value other than I “think” it’s a reasonable compromise between having an extended motor speed range which means I don’t have to swap belts as often (I tend to leave it on the 3rd of 4 speeds for everything, I don’t think I’ve changed belts since I fitted the vfd :thumbup:) , and the fact my lathe sounds quite reasonable at this speed - if I go much above this I get some whining from the belts so I’ve capped it at that.

Parm and skotl like this.
  9. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Cool - I'll have a play with it when I finally get it on the lathe (which, at this rate, will be October 2021...)

Parm and daleyd like this.
  10. daleyd

daleyd Member

Don’t rush it - there’s plenty of entertainment to be had on dining room table yet :thumbup::laughing:

Parm and skotl like this.
  11. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I run mine up to 83 Hz, it's a 1950s BTH motor the size of a dustbin... That way I can get the spindle on the lathe up to 2500 RPM instread of a "mere" 1500 - and I run the VFD down to 5 Hz, a bit coggy... to get about 2 RPM on the spindle - needs the big chuck on as a flywhel to smooth it out :/

Dave H. (the other one)

skotl, daleyd and Parm like this.
  12. RichardM Member

I've just bought one of the XSY-AT1 vfds (1.5kw) as a spare for the lathe. It was £39 on Ebay with 3 day delivery so couldn't say no! Arrived yesterday, wiring it to my spare motor this morning and sorting the parameters. Motor is nice and smooth at 65 Hz, haven't been above that yet.

I'll post the settings I have used this evening as there written on a piece of paper in the garage at the moment!

skotl, Hopefuldave and daleyd like this.
  13. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Wow - that's a great price. Mine is 2.2kw but was £65 from Amazon.

14. RichardM Member

@skotl I thought it was too good to miss so I pressed the BIN button :D

Settings used:

Program // Setting // Function
    P11 // 2 // Enable Start/ Stop external control
    P21 // 1425 // Motor revs at 50 hz
    P50 // 4 // X1 terminal to momentary push (NO) Stop command
    P51 // 11 // X2 terminal to momentary push (NO) for forward rotation
    P52 // 12 // X3 terminal to momentary push (NO) for reverse rotation
    P53 // 17 // X4 terminal to momentary push (NO) for jog forward
    P54 // 18 // X5 terminal to momentary push (NO) for jog reverse
    P55 // 19 // X6 terminal to latching push (NO) for emergency stop

At present also set the jog speeds P86 & P87 each to 10 and P88 & P89 each to 20, although these will probably be tweeked when fitted to the lathe.

P55 setting 19 Emergency stop is different from running stop, if the circuit is closed you cannot restart the motor until it is released. It also coasts to a halt using this.

P50 setting 4 engages a braked stop to the parameters set under P12 & P13

Don't usually bother with the external pot as I prefer to run through the lathe gearbox.

Now to swap it with the current HuanYang and see if I have the braking resistor circuit.

Ali, skotl and daleyd like this.
  15. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I also changed the jog speed but didn't bother mentioning it as I figured everyone / every lathe would be different. I've currently got it set to 8Hz but will see how it acts on the lathe.
    Good point re the emergency stop. I've also got a big fat knee kick button on the feed to the lathe anyway, so there's always that :D

16. RichardM Member

"Good point re the emergency stop. I've also got a big fat knee kick button the the feed to the lathe anyway, so there's always that"

I was quite hoping it would activate a different braked stop to usual so I could set it as an emergency stop if I open the chuck guard.

17. My Old Landy

My Old Landy Melting Metal

The Siemens VFD on my old Smart & Brown, if you hold the up arrow on more than briefly, races up! I had it at over 2,100 rpm and I don't think the old girl liked it much :o

18. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Another question for the experts :)

I've got shielded twisted pair cable for the signals - should the shield get tied to OVDC or to earth?

19. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

On mine all shields are tied to the VFD earthing, there are metal clamps to hold the incoming cables against the metal chassis and I folded the braid back over the outer jacket. Years of messing with audio (some of 'em professionally) and avoiding induced "earth loop" currents by star earthing signal cables!

Dave H. (the other one)

daleyd and skotl like this.
  20. Ali

Ali Member

I thought I had mine locked, gonna have to try that P55 now, thanks for posting the settings

skotl likes this.
Advertisements