YL600/620 VFD - momentary buttons for stop & start?

1. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Happy "I bought a 3 phase motor and a VFD!" day :D

Playing with the shiny stuff on the kitchen table, and it's all going reasonable well:

upload_2020-10-30_20-44-28.png

But I can't figure out whether the YL600/YL620 (this is a 600) can use momentary switches for stop and start.
    I've been fiddling with P00.16, P00.17 and P00.18 but can't get it to do anything other than run when the buttons are latched.

Here's a link to one of many manuals (all slightly contradictory!): YL620-A-Inverter-Manual.pdf (bulkman3d.com)

P00.16 reads:
    0: FWD(X5)yes,Positive run the command ,REV(X6)yes,reverse run the command 0
    1: REV(X6)Determine direction:Open Yes FWD,Shut Yes REV;FWD(X5)Start command:FWD Stop,REV Boot
    2:X_EF=EF,X_REV(X5)_DIR=DIR,FWD(X6)= RUN.Three wire control motor operation
    3: Stop,FWD(X5) turn off Instantaneous , positive start motor;run,REV(X6) shut down immediately Stop Stop,REV(X6)Turn off the reverse start motor;run,FWD(X5)Closing action,Stop
    4: FWD(X5) turn off Instantaneous , positive start motor;;REV(X6)Closing 15 action,Stop
    5: FWD(X5) turn off Instantaneous , positive start motor;;REV(X6) shut down immediately Stop
    6: Stop,FWD(X5) turn off Instantaneous , positive start motor;;run,FWD(X5) shut down immediately Stop.run REV(X6)turn off the motor immediately, Reversing
    7: REV(X6)When open,FWD(X5)Start-up instant, Positive direction start motor; REV(X6)When closed, the motor is not allowed to start;Runtime REV(X6) Closing action Instantaneous stop

P00.17 (input X1) to P00.20 (X4) reads:
    0: Retain
    1: Multi-segment speed instruction
    5: as forward turn point input
    6: as reverse point input
    7: as point action input / rev x4 to determine direction
    8: closing action instant top
    9: disconnect action instant stop
    11 & 12: speed increase / decrease
    12-17: fault indicator inputs

Any ideas? :dontknow:

Parm likes this.
  2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Way way way above my knowledge, But momentary switches were always called "inch buttons"

Parm likes this.
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

Don’t know about those vfd specifically but there is quite often a parameter that allows you to select whether you want to use latching/maintained inputs (2 wire) or momentary inputs (3 wire)

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Yeah - I looked through the paper manual, plus what I could find online, about "momentary" and couldn't spot anything.

But... P00.16 = 2 is "X_EF=EF,X_REV(X5)_DIR=DIR,FWD(X6)= RUN.Three wire control motor operation"

Is that what I'm after?

5. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

If so, it's a normally open start to 24v, normally closed stop to 24v I think

Dave H. (the other one)

6. Parm

Parm You can take a horse to water but ....

What’s it going on?

7. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

The dining room table

The lathe

Parm likes this.
  8. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I've applied some lateral thinking, and I think I can do it like this, with a DPST relay, a couple of momentary switches (one NO and one NC), and a SPDT switch:

upload_2020-10-30_22-59-6.png

I'm effectively recreating an NVR, where the "Run" switch momentarily energises the relay causing current to flow through the first pole. This pole provides +12V to the coil, so the relay stays energised.
    There's a normally-closed switch marked "STOP" - hitting that breaks the feed to the coil so the relay drops.

Meanwhile, over on pole #2, we're connecting common through a "forward/reverse" switch to one of the two inputs, one for forward and one for reverse.

I need to add a diode for back-emf protection, but how does that sound to the masses?

Hopefuldave and Ali like this.
  9. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

^^ that's the fallback plan ^^ but it looks like "three wire control" should do what I'm looking for, albeit the manual doesn't particularly help in explaining this.
    Can anyone supply generic 3-wire control VFD info?

daleyd likes this.
  10. daleyd

daleyd Member

3 wire usually requires a NC contact to the “stop” input and a NO contact to fwd and rev inputs.

As long as the stop input is made (ie button not pushed) then providing a pulse to either run input will start the drive. As soon as the stop signal is lost the drive will stop. If a run signal is given while stop signal is false then it is ignored.

https://www.se.com/ww/en/faqs/FA238669/

Screwdriver, minimutly and skotl like this.
  11. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Aha! So the absence of a NC stop button would be causing a problem. Great - thanks - will look at that later.

daleyd likes this.
  12. Pete.

Pete. Member

If the VFD can be configured for 3-wire all you need is a pair of momentaries and a NC stop. Plus a speed pot, obviously.

skotl likes this.
  13. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Got it!

Nothing more complex than setting P00.16 to 2:
    "EF (X3). REV (X4), FWD(X5RUN). Three wire control motor operation"​

And P00.01 to 1:
    "From external and control Electric machinery, operation panel STOP key effective"​

Then wiring X3 (stop) to common, mimicing the NC button as described above.

Now I've got X5 as momentary push to run (NO switch), X3 as stop (NC switch) and X4 is a toggle for forward and reverse.

@Ali - dunno if the parameters would be exactly the same for your VFD, but hopefully the descriptions help.

Thanks everyone! Pity, as I quite liked my fake-NVR relay solution :D

Ali and daleyd like this.
  14. Ali

Ali Member

Well done! I’ve only had a chance to briefly scan the parameters again today and had more or less given up hope and started trying to figure out what sort of relay would work. Now I think I’ll have to give it another go.

daleyd and skotl like this.
Advertisements