Yet more compressor questions!

1. HasBean

HasBean Member

Jersey
    After reading various posts on increasing the efficiency of these things, and knowing bu**er all about them, I was wondering if the following would make a difference or even feasable :dontknow:

Can I block off this bit at the valve.....

P1000513.jpg

and then attach a pipe directly to this plug at the end of the receiver somehow...

P1000514.jpg

to this which has a 1/2" BSPT fitting (though it's on a 1/4" reducer at the moment).....

P1000515.jpg

Is it worth doing at all?

If so any idea what size the plug is on the end of the receiver and what size pipe I should use to the regulator?

I'm hoping to put a 'T' piece between the regulator and lubricator with 1/4" BSP fittings so I can have both oil & oil free air.
    I use a 3/8" ID hose about 3m long normally from the fittings for tools and a 5m 1/4" coiled hose for oil free which I really only use for tyres and as an air duster.

So gents is it worth doing do you reckon? (BTW it's only 2HP with 50ltr receiver)

Paul

2. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

Do it!!

I did, and can recommend it 100%. those crappy regs that are supplied with compressors really limit the air that'll flow through them.

I've gone straight in to the end with 1/2" copper fittings, as my regulator etc is all piped up in 15mm copper.

The only thing to watch is the duty cycle on the compressor. I think that the restricting valve/regulator is fitted so that the duty cycle is kept down. once you're drawing on the the cylinder directly you'll have to manage the duty cycle yourself.

3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

If you install a fixed pipe system make sure you have some flexible hose from the receiver to the pipework.

4. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

Ah yes, I used a standard flexible tail, it was rated to well above my working pressure.

5. eil Member

N Wales
    Why the flexible pipe from receiver to the regulator ?.

6. rtbcomp

To the fixed pipework - to isolate the (copper) pipes from vibration.

7. HasBean

HasBean Member

Jersey
    I was just going to fit some flexible hose from the end of the receiver to the filter/regulator. Could I use the existing 3/8" bore hose and just connect using 1/2" BSP fittings?

8. rtbcomp

Should work OK - quick & simple.

You're better off with metal pipework for a permanent installation, anything that conducts heat away from compressed air is a Good Thing.

9. eil Member

N Wales
    Looking at where you have your regulator why not connect it direct to the reciver, or connect an elbow and then the reg so as you dont catch your leg on it.

10. HasBean

HasBean Member

Jersey
    Thanks guys :waving:
    eil, I had thought of that but it'll put it right in front of the milling machine so I think I'll leave as is. Seems all I need is a connector for 3/8" bore hose to the receiver thread whatever that is and another for 3/8" bore to 1/2" BSP male for the regulator.

11. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

Further to what Roger said, if you can fit nice long lengths of vertical copper pipe they're great for condensing out water before the regulator etc. I have T-pieces and dump valves to empty any residue out. It works well.

12. eddie49 Member

In response to "any idea what size the plug is on the end of the receiver?", I think that mine ( which looks to be a similar type/size of compressor ) was 3/4", but I do remember that it was a parallel ( rather than tapered ) thread i.e. BSPP not BSPT. The sealing of the plug to the receiver is done by a flat rubber washer on the end, or an O-ring, not by sealed tapering threads.

13. rtbcomp

My Clarke's like that - a complete pain - there is no groove to locate the O-ring and it just blew out!

I ended up making a flat gasket. Loctite pipe & thread sealant would have been a lot easier!

14. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You don't need to block that one off, just fit another union to the blanked hole in the end of the tank.

Advertisements