yet another bucket

1. mmhhhh you may all be bored of seeing this stuff, but id thought id do a post up, iv been wanting to get away from the stick for this sort of work, time scale stuff, so have been trying different wires, the ones I used were 1.2 flux cored, 1.2 metal cored, 1.6 solid, and 1.6 metal cored..... the conclusion is I'm gonna run 3 wires, 1.6 metal cored, 1.2 metal cored, 1.2 flux cored....

Technical AL sent me a 5KG sample of Lincolns flux cored, I ran the entire roll doing the positional stringers in the last photo , hard to get used to but ran nice in the end, In total welding a lump like that, took around 10KGs of flux cored and around 25KG of metal cored......

DSC00977.JPG

DSC00976.JPG

DSC00980.JPG

DSC00982.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00994.JPG

DSC00995.JPG

DSC00999.JPG

DSC01002.JPG

DSC01003.JPG

2. DSC01005.JPG

DSC01007.JPG

DSC01009.JPG

3. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

:whistle::whistle:
    Properrrrrr welding job, Snowcat!:clapping::clapping:
    Would love to give that a try meself...instead of the annoying tiny parts i weld for a living...:(

4. weldingscotty803

weldingscotty803 what you staring at??????????

very nice. how long did it take you

5. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    nice job snowy. Will never get board of looking @ big jobs

6. I reckon in total around 3 days, although its dragged as other jobs kept shelving it.....

7. weldingscotty803

cool. what sort of amps were you using and what was the thickness of the bucket?

8. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

Nice job Mr cat;)

9. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    Nice work as usual snowcat I'm like mk looking at them sort of jobs is therapeutic

10. the bottom was 1/4" hardox, toe is 2" hardox, braces are 1" thick, 1.2 metal cored was run at 32volts, around 300 amps, flux cored around 25 volts, 200 ish amps...

11. bawjaws Member

scotland
    35kg of wire on 1 job :o, thats probably more than ive used full stop:o , god all that welding would get boring!

12. weldingscotty803

nice one

13. Jaeger_S2k

Jaeger_S2k Member

never [​IMG] not seeing 'real' welding, the kind real [​IMG] do!

14. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Nothing theraputic about it after youve just worked the gas into it, and its all waitng to bo attacked with a 9" and a box of discs :laughing:

Nice little number that Snowy, we rarely get proper buckets like that in.

15. lincoln17 Member

Nice job Snowie, the flux core is the dogs balls. I do quite lot of this kind of work and went onto the flux core a couple of years ago. I started using Lincoln Outershield 81Ni1-H, could'nt believe the difference in speed or the amount of metal you could lay down. I have stuck with this wire ever since as i found it easy to use and have had no problems with it. I have just bought a torch for the innershield wire (lincoln again) so welding will not be affected by the wind. I have'nt tried it yet but have spoken to guys who are using it and it seems to be the way to go. I am running this on a lincoln
    ranger with an LN25 feeder if I am on site or a 400 amp lincoln power source with another LN25 in the workshop. I find the 81Ni1-H wire very good positionally, I don't know which one Techical Al sent you but if its not this one I would try it as well. I would be intrested to hear what you think.
    Regards James

16. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    I meant the looking bit as therapeutic:cool: the doing bit looks like bloody hard work:laughing:

17. It was the outershield 81 I was sent, I was using a bohler duel RV 71 before, it doesnt run so well and seams to need holding back over wise it goes into globular transfer.....

The metalcore was a bohler wire TG55, as these are both ordered on specials, I shell spec Lincoln equivalents in future, very impressed with the metal cores, the amount of deposit you can fire into the work is amazing.....

Hitch, that amount of work is bordering on the scrap bin, its only its size that makes it worth the repair..

scarecrow, not so much hard but hot, 150C of preheat to start and things only gets hotter, water cooled torch a must.....

18. eddie49 Member

I know that flux-cored welding wire is wire with a core of flux in it, and "solid" seems clear too, but what exactly is "metal-cored" ? Is it wire with a core of, err, wire ?

19. Both flux and metal cored wires give very similar yield strengths, The metal core contains among others an Iron powder, In simple terms it gives it more bite and better fusion to the plate, higher pen, Its also quicker as you can really wind it in in spray arc mode, Its a new area for me and have been very impressed with the bead shape and speed of use.

Flux cored is just that, again it gives a better fusion, its not as quick to use in the flat, but its excellent to use out of position, as you can still run it hot to get the fusion, but it will not collapse the same as a solid wire does....parimiters generally don't need to be adjusted in positions......

Solid wires are the standard type you would buy per example to run in a MIG/MAG plant at home, tho some are much better than others.....

they all need sheilding BTW.....

20. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

:o:o:oBlasphemy!!!!!!!:o:o
    Go wash out your mouth with soap, mate! :laughing::laughing:
    ;)

Advertisements