Wolfweld controls

1. Gerard Fazzini New Member

Hi folks. I'm brand new to mig welding so don't shout at me. I've done a lot of arc welding in the past but just bought a second hand Wolfweld Turbo mig 105 for £50 to patch up my mrs' car for its MOT.
    Anyway, I played around with it today and I must admit I'm pretty impressed with the quality of welds it produced.
    The problem is; it has 2 switches on the front panel; one is marked 'min' and 'max' and the other is marked '1' and '2' and I have no idea what they do. I messed around with them and the wire speed until I got decent welds but I have no idea what I was doing by changing these switch settings. Needless to say the welder came with no instruction manual.
    Can anyone tell me what these switches do and the correct way to obtain the correct settings?
    I've attached a picture.
    Cheers.

• wolfweld.jpg
  2. Probably similar to the Clarke 105EN, look at the PDF for that, its on this web site and you will see the settings recommended for different metal thicknesses.

Gerard Fazzini likes this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Min 1 is lowest then min 2 followed by max 1 then max 2 if it's same as my old SIP controls. In reality it's a bit like using a ouija board, all in the hands of the spirits. :D

4. Gerard Fazzini New Member

Ah, I see. Awesome, thanks. That makes sense. Yeah, it looks almost identical to the Clarke 105EN.

5. Gerard Fazzini New Member

So what's the deal with these Wolfweld mig welders? Mine appears to be identical to the Clarke 105EN. Is it just a Clarke welder marketed by another company or is mine just a (cheaper) copy?

6. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Dead easy to work out the settings order with a multimeter, just set it to DC volts, connect the positive to the tip and the negative to the clamp and pull the trigger.
    Undo the wire feed first though.

Moorlander likes this.
  7. Gerard Fazzini New Member

I'll do that, thanks. What sort of range of DC volts should I expect?

8. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    It's only low voltages, something like 18 up to 30ish I'd imagine.

9. Gerard Fazzini New Member

Cool. Thank you.

10. I'll measure my 105EN later and let you know.

11. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Yours looks nothing like a Clarke 105.
    I think they're just generic Chinese machines that are sold under various brands, does it say the country of manufacture on it anywhere?

12. Gerard Fazzini New Member

Thanks RD. Appreciate that.
    I know it's just a cheapo but I'm used to arc welding and I'm thrilled at the novelty of not having to 'feed in' as I lay down a bead. I'm also chuffed that I got it for a song. I'll be happy as long as it lasts long enough to patch up the wife's Micra but I think I'll get a more robust machine at some point.
    Woz, it doesn't say where it was made. Maybe the country in question is too embarrassed to admit it

13. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    I'd almost put money on it being made in China, there were loads of similar looking machines about a few years ago of various power outputs. I think they were mostly badged as Giant.

14. I had a look at the open circuit voltages this morning

1 MIN 19 volts
    2 MIN 21.5 volts
    1 MAX 24.5 volts
    2 MAX 28.5 volts

Gerard Fazzini and Wozzaaah like this.
  15. Gerard Fazzini New Member

That's ace. Thank you so much for doing that. I'll get my multimeter on mine and label up my switches.

16. Gerard Fazzini New Member

Ok, thank you. I'll measure the voltage at every switch combination.

Advertisements